Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

!!!!!!!Transmission question!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default !!!!!!!Transmission question!!!!!!!

Ok so on my 02 grand Cherokee I change the transmission fluid I put ATF +4 fluid and I also change the trans-filter put a new gasket even tho the Old one is reusable but I still put a new one put everything back together I put 5 quarts of transmission fluid drove it couple of times and I'm still driving it is my daily I checked the trans fluid and this looks like a lil brownish color it's not red like it's supposed to be is that a problem or that's normal for these jeeps
Old 11-18-2016, 10:45 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee

normal. some of the old fluid from the trans cooler and possibly the torque converter mixed in with the new fluid. as long as it does not smell burnt you are good.

the amount of fluid you added sounds correct, but you did check the level with the engine running and trans in neutral?
Old 11-18-2016, 10:48 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

There is still 4 qts in the torque converter that didn't get changed. The only way to get that out is to dilute it with multiple pan changes or a direct fluid transfer with special equipment. Draining it thru a trans cooling line while it's running can let air into the clutch pistons and cause poor shifting until it works it's way out. Multiple pan changes can get expensive so in the long run, finding a shop that does the direct transfer can cost less.

Each time you do a pan change, you dilute it by 50% so after 3 changes you're down to 12.5% old fluid.

Last edited by dave1123; 11-18-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by jon-d
normal. some of the old fluid from the trans cooler and possibly the torque converter mixed in with the new fluid. as long as it does not smell burnt you are good.

the amount of fluid you added sounds correct, but you did check the level with the engine running and trans in neutral?
Yes I did thanks
Old 11-18-2016, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by dave1123
There is still 4 qts in the torque converter that didn't get changed. The only way to get that out is to dilute it with multiple pan changes or a direct fluid transfer with special equipment. Draining it thru a trans cooling line while it's running can let air into the clutch pistons and cause poor shifting until it works it's way out. Multiple pan changes can get expensive so in the long run, finding a shop that does the direct transfer can cost less.

Each time you do a pan change, you dilute it by 50% so after 3 changes you're down to 12.5% old fluid.
For my next trans fluid change Ima have a shop do it because next time I wanna get everything out of it thanks for the help
Old 11-20-2016, 02:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2016, 11:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by 97grand4.0
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2016, 10:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee

Never have this done at a "Jiffy Lube" type of service center all those do is pump the fluid out "Filter It???" pump it back in. Most of the time it is mixed with many other types of trans fluids in this process.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:38 AM

so Jiffy Lube does not add in new fluid but filters the old, replenishes the additives, and then puts it back in (recycled fluid)? I always thought they use new fluid.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:25 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Valvoline Instant Oil Change used to do it properly because I've actually done it! They had a machine with a clear glass cylinder and a piston that we filled up with new fluid, pushing the piston down pumping the old fluid out from the last change. Then it was hooked up to your transmissions cooling lines and YOUR trans pumps the new fluid into itself by filling up the bottom of the cylinder, pushing the new fluid in. The machine holds 15 qts so it makes sure the transfer is complete. The funny thing about this method is if your transmission was 1 qt low when it was started, it's still a qt low when the transfer is complete!

At the time, only Valvoline and Ford dealers offered this service. The service cost $99.95 so most people were hesitant to spend that kind of money. It was too costly for Valvoline to continue doing this. We were going thru a couple of drums of fluid a week, one Dex-Merc and one ATF+3. Before this, we were doing the old pan-drop and filter change which caused our inventory of parts to be outrageous. They also tried a vacuum tank to suck out the pan and put new fluid in but that wasn't very effective.

JiffyLube was our major competitor and I doubt very much if they put any new additives in the fluid. Think of the insurance liability of screwing up your transmission by doing that. AND to be effective, they'd have to use a 1 micron filter which would clog up after just a few changes!

Check out Monroe Muffler Brake. I've been told they use the T-TECH transfer system.

Last edited by dave1123; 11-21-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by dave1123
Valvoline Instant Oil Change used to do it properly because I've actually done it! They had a machine with a clear glass cylinder and a piston that we filled up with new fluid, pushing the piston down pumping the old fluid out from the last change. Then it was hooked up to your transmissions cooling lines and YOUR trans pumps the new fluid into itself by filling up the bottom of the cylinder, pushing the new fluid in. The machine holds 15 qts so it makes sure the transfer is complete. The funny thing about this method is if your transmission was 1 qt low when it was started, it's still a qt low when the transfer is complete!

At the time, only Valvoline and Ford dealers offered this service. The service cost $99.95 so most people were hesitant to spend that kind of money. It was too costly for Valvoline to continue doing this. We were going thru a couple of drums of fluid a week, one Dex-Merc and one ATF+3. Before this, we were doing the old pan-drop and filter change which caused our inventory of parts to be outrageous. They also tried a vacuum tank to suck out the pan and put new fluid in but that wasn't very effective.

JiffyLube was our major competitor and I doubt very much if they put any new additives in the fluid. Think of the insurance liability of screwing up your transmission by doing that. AND to be effective, they'd have to use a 1 micron filter which would clog up after just a few changes!

Check out Monroe Muffler Brake. I've been told they use the T-TECH transfer system.

that is the process that was used to change out my Chevy trans fluid at a shop back in 2004. I cannot recall if it was jiffy lube or some other company but I do recall being hesitant because of the price!
Old 11-21-2016, 06:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Right. When I got my zj the seller said he had just taken it to AAMCO for a service/diagnostic and they told him he needed a new transmission because it wasn't shifting right. It wasn't shifting at all automatically from 1 to 2 and wouldn't downshift from 2-1. So as soon as I got it home I dropped the pan...
There was no filter installed at all, just the screws loose in the valve body.

Took the solenoids out and cleaned them, changed the fluid,..that was 3 years ago still driving it. Have since drained and filled a few times and replaced solenoids and adjusted the bands a couple times. No doubt it is tired but looks like it will pull through another winter. 20 inches of snow in the last day here and still coming, 4wd will go through it like butter.