Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

transmission cooler line leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default transmission cooler line leak

OK I'm fed up with this dang transmission cooler line. Ok first of all I noticed the leak under the radiator and took it to a mechanic. He said it was leaking from the quick disconnect on the lower line on the radiator, and it would need a new line to fix it. So I went and bought the line and he replaced it. $127 for labor $36 for the line. Well then exactly a month later I noticed it leaking again. I got under the jeep and it was leaking in the same spot. I went back to the mechanic and he said it was leaking in the same spot and I would have to pay labor again since I supplied the part. (WHICH IS BS) Well I didn't have the money to do it then so I just keep checking it and adding fluid when needed. It got worse and worse to the point were it looked like I was just pouring the fluid on the ground. Then I got paid, I took it to a different mechanic. They took a look at it and called me and told me it was leaking at the fitting that is on the radiator (the nipple where the quick connect slips on) Well I had a leaking radiator anyway so I went and bought a new radiator new hoses and serpentine belt(it needed the belt) he told me the transmission cooler line would be fine since it was a month old. . $230 parts and $200 labor. They installed everything and took it for a 30 min test drive and I was there when he got back. We both looked under it and no leaks. Well that was 3 days ago and I just got under the jeep to check for leaks and guess what, the lower line is STILL leaking. Whats can I do to fix this????? please help.......The jeep is a 1997 grand cherokee with the 4.0
Old 01-29-2010, 01:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Can you take a pic?

On the transmission (and fuel lines) there are quick disconnects which i think is what your describing. In these disconnects are rubber o-rings and a plastic ring. If these are not in their correct orientation these will leak.. even if the part is new.

What model and year Jeep, what engine? We'll look for a diagram of the proper orientation and go from there.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:00 PM

[QUOTE= Whats can I do to fix this????? please help.......The jeep is a 1997 grand cherokee with the 4.0[/QUOTE] i mentioned the year in the first post
Old 01-30-2010, 05:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995

if its leaking at the bottom hose quick connect fittin then you should be able to use a hose clamp in place of the quick connect cut the hose end and slide it over tighten it down with hose clamp, if i thinkin right it should work
Old 01-30-2010, 08:14 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.ol renix

I agree cut the quick connect off and use a hose clamp. These fittings can be hit or miss. Some may consider this a band-aid type fit, but I have done it before and it works like a charm. Just make sure you tighten the clamp down nice and snug above the flare on the nipple.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: stock

Originally Posted by Skreed
I agree cut the quick connect off and use a hose clamp. These fittings can be hit or miss. Some may consider this a band-aid type fit, but I have done it before and it works like a charm. Just make sure you tighten the clamp down nice and snug above the flare on the nipple.
done that about a year ago, works a treat, will try and take some pics later today...
Old 01-30-2010, 07:09 PM

pics would be awesome
Old 03-07-2010, 08:22 AM

Year: 1996

I'm having this same issue. I ordered a set of fancy connectors from teamgrandcherokee and they didn't fit. One of them broke in my hand while trying to get it down in the end of the rubber line. I'm about to cut these metal fittings off the end and use band clamps. I just hate I wasted my time waiting and my 30 bucks on those stupid plastic connectors.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by 96ckeecntry
I'm having this same issue. I ordered a set of fancy connectors from teamgrandcherokee and they didn't fit. One of them broke in my hand while trying to get it down in the end of the rubber line. I'm about to cut these metal fittings off the end and use band clamps. I just hate I wasted my time waiting and my 30 bucks on those stupid plastic connectors.
I've read there's special tools needed to install the connectors, but I haven't used them so I don't know what the problem was/is. The old fashioned screw type band clamps and a piece of reinforced rubber hose would probably work just as well as they have in the past.JMO
Dan
Old 03-07-2010, 10:33 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Same problem here its just the upper line. Gonna use the hose clamps and are what happens.