Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Stuck in 3rd?

Old 03-22-2009, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Stuck in 3rd?

This is my first post and I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I did a search but couldn't find anything like my problem.

I have a 2005 grand Cherokee limited with the V8. I don't often use the manual "shifter" but sometimes it is fun to red line through the gears and get some serious speed up. I was at a stop light before the entrance ramp to the freeway with no one in front of me and I thought, "Lets have some fun!"

So I did and was quickly flying down the free way but by the time a shifted into third there was traffic so I slowed it down and I pushed the shifter 2 more times to put the transmission back into the regular drive setting. At least I thought I had...

I was rather busy and running around town and not paying attention but about 2 hours later the engine light came on and I looked at the transmission indicator, to my surprise it said "3" and not "D". I pushed the shifter two more times but the indicator remained the same. Here is where we are at now.

1. Indicator stuck on "3" will not not go up or down from that.

2. If I hold the shifter all the way to the right for several seconds the indicator will change to "D" but once the shifter is back in its regular position the indicator returns to reading "3"

3. I can't be sure but the car does not seem to be shifting. I haven't had much time to play with it but got up to around 45mph last night with a rev count of around 2K.

Any thoughts or questions? Please help if you can. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

sounds like it has gone into limp mode. you will need to check codes and then have them cleared if that is the problem. Of course you may have to fix whatever caused the problem. You should be able to check the codes by cycling the key 3 times. It should show up on the dash. I have no experience with a 05 at all, but its still a dodge and my 05 truck works that way

Last edited by RRAM; 03-22-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:56 PM

code was P 0700. Something to do with the transmission.

However the problem seems to have fixed itself as the car is driving normally again. go figure.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2

if it was in limp mode it can clear itself sometimes when its shutoff and started again.

Glad to hear its working for ya
Old 12-07-2011, 08:02 PM

Year: 2005
Engine: 5.7L Hemi
Default Im stuck in 3rd too

Originally Posted by Biscuit
This is my first post and I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I did a search but couldn't find anything like my problem.

I have a 2005 grand Cherokee limited with the V8. I don't often use the manual "shifter" but sometimes it is fun to red line through the gears and get some serious speed up. I was at a stop light before the entrance ramp to the freeway with no one in front of me and I thought, "Lets have some fun!"

So I did and was quickly flying down the free way but by the time a shifted into third there was traffic so I slowed it down and I pushed the shifter 2 more times to put the transmission back into the regular drive setting. At least I thought I had...

I was rather busy and running around town and not paying attention but about 2 hours later the engine light came on and I looked at the transmission indicator, to my surprise it said "3" and not "D". I pushed the shifter two more times but the indicator remained the same. Here is where we are at now.

1. Indicator stuck on "3" will not not go up or down from that.

2. If I hold the shifter all the way to the right for several seconds the indicator will change to "D" but once the shifter is back in its regular position the indicator returns to reading "3"

3. I can't be sure but the car does not seem to be shifting. I haven't had much time to play with it but got up to around 45mph last night with a rev count of around 2K.

Any thoughts or questions? Please help if you can. Thanks.
I am stuck in 3rd as well with same simptoms. Plugged it in at advanced auto and got the Solenoid A is shot.... Was going to replace the solenoid pack but before I did that I took it to a tranny shop who even though all gears are shifting fine when it is not stuck in 3rd the guy said it is going to need rebuilt and anything electrical is extra... Kinda want to see what you came up with.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2016
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 5.7l HEMI

Junior, I am going to ask my intention being not to insult you. Do you know much about cars in general? I am asking because it sounds like the Transmission Shop guy saw you coming and may be trying to take you for a ride. When a transmission goes bad to the point that it requires a rebuild, it just doesn't do so over night. You will notice a very noticeable and consistent decline in performance throughout the entire gear range. Most of Jeeps transmissions are mechanical in operations but electrical in management. Meaning there are switches, servos and solenoids that make the tranny do what our right foot demands it to do. If it were me, i would replace the Solenoid pack. If it is shifting fine when it is not stuck, then maybe the 2-3 or 4-3 shift Solenoid is toast. Sure is a heck of lot cheaper than a rebuild.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:00 PM

Completely agree with gi the trans would be making alot of noise if stuck in any gear and you were figjting it it would grind
Old 12-08-2011, 08:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

which trans is it the 545rfe?
also people who plug in and have solenoid codes. you have to be very cautious as to how you read them. When you have a solenoid CIRCUIT code, it typically has nothing to do with the actual solenoid, but rather the hydraulic circuit it operates. Juniorj2, is yours also a v8? The v6 and v8 use a different transmission, and they are totally different animals.