Originally Posted by monsterdog
I have a 96 grand cherokee. The shift cable is out of adjustment and I am trying to adjust it according to the repair manual. It says to push in on the adjuster clamp at the end of the procedure to complete it. The problem is, I don't see any clamp and I find no illustrations for the cable showing where the adjuster clamp is much less where to push or squeeze on it. Please advise. Thanks.
Welcome to CF.
To adjust the Gearshift cable, this is from the Factory Service Manual:
Check adjustment by starting the engine in Park
and Neutral. Adjustment is OK if the engine starts
only in these positions. Adjustment is incorrect if the
engine starts in one but not both positions. If the
engine starts in any position other than Park or Neutral,
or if the engine will not start at all, the park/
neutral position switch may be faulty.
Gearshift Adjustment Procedure
(1) Shift transmission into Park.
(2) Raise vehicle.
(3) Release cable adjuster clamp (at transmission
end of cable) to unlock cable.
(4) Unsnap cable from cable mounting bracket on
transmission (Fig. 266).
(5) Slide cable eyelet off transmission shift lever.
(6) Verify transmission shift lever is in Park
detent by moving lever fully rearward. Last rearward
detent is Park position.
(7) Verify positive engagement of transmission
park lock by attempting to rotate propeller shaft.
Shaft will not rotate when park lock is engaged.
(8) Slide cable eyelt onto transmission shift lever.
(9) Snap shift cable adjuster into mounting
bracket on transmission.
(10) Lock shift cable by pressing cable adjuster
clamp down until it snaps into place.
(11) Lower vehicle and check engine starting.
Engine should start only in Park and Neutral.