Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Seriously. $120 for a headlight switch?

Old 09-21-2016, 06:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims
Default Seriously. $120 for a headlight switch?

So the 97 Zj here went to turn on the lights on my way to buy time for the tracfone this morning and parking and fog lights work fine but no headlights.
If I pull in on the hibeam switch they do come on only as long as I hold the switch so I guess there is power to the switch.
In my initial assessment the consensus seems to be headlight switch.
Some said it's a cheap part..$16. NOT. The dang thing comes with the whole dash plate, fog button, and slide dimmer. I thought it would just be a little cluster behind the rotary dial but no.
$120+.00
Has anyone else experienced this, before I go pulling out the test meter and schematics, maybe has someone done open part surgery on the switch to save it?
Old 09-21-2016, 10:26 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

its common for the solder to go bad on those things. mine was bad, flickering off and on so I pulled a good one from the JY. but before I installed it I pulled mine apart and re-soldered the connections and it tested good so I reinstalled it and its been fine since. I have the JY one as a spare.

its really easy to do. just pull the screws out from the back and there will be a circuit board. heat up your gun and hit each one of them. most of mine I never even applied solder, just remelted what was there to keep it clean.

you could also try ebay. before I picked up one from the JY I saw a few on there that claimed they tested good for about $30.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:55 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

I'll probably do that, if not just to fix the flickering dash lights, but did that fix the headlights not coming on?
Old 09-21-2016, 10:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....182237&jsn=411

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...mp+switch,4472

rock auto has them listed from about 70$. still not cheap but way less than 120$.

if not do like said above and get one from the junkyard and/or resolder the connections
Old 09-21-2016, 12:45 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 97grand4.0
I'll probably do that, if not just to fix the flickering dash lights, but did that fix the headlights not coming on?

ya, everything was working as it should after resoldering. my lights did go off and on a couple of times (like a short) but it was mainly the dash that was flickering. its free to try or you can pick up a known good one and replace what you have. either way, post back what you did and the results.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2L Magnum V8 220hp 285ft-lbs

The automatic lamp relay on the circuit board behind the glove box are getting weak on mine. Sometimes I don't have headlamps and either have to bang the glove box or rotate the lamp switch from automatic to manual.

At some point I will either need to clean the relay contacts, replace the relays or replace the automatic lamp circuit board.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I don't think you have a headlamp switch problem, I think you have a multifunction switch problem. You have power going through the headlamp switch and going to the multifunction switch. Dirty or burnt contacts in the MF switch will cause the issue you're having.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:43 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Hey! Dude! Too bad you don't need one for a WJ. I've got one in my garage on the other side of Syracuse you can have. Just come and get it. I can't remember if I changed the one in my ZJ or not. No...that was the dimmer switch and the old one was junk anyway.

I hate it when people say they have a short when it's really an open circuit. A short makes smoke! or blows fuses.

Last edited by dave1123; 09-22-2016 at 04:45 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:20 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bustedback
I don't think you have a headlamp switch problem, I think you have a multifunction switch problem. You have power going through the headlamp switch and going to the multifunction switch. Dirty or burnt contacts in the MF switch will cause the issue you're having.
Only reason I lean to the headlamp switch, is because I saw a post where a guy said 'if you pull the multifunction to the high beam on position, and the lights come on, you have a headlamp switch problem."
So when I do that the headlights come on.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:21 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by dave1123
Hey! Dude! Too bad you don't need one for a WJ. I've got one in my garage on the other side of Syracuse you can have. Just come and get it. I can't remember if I changed the one in my ZJ or not. No...that was the dimmer switch and the old one was junk anyway.

I hate it when people say they have a short when it's really an open circuit. A short makes smoke! or blows fuses.
Thanks Dave, but I going to pull mine this morning and operate on it. I'll let you know.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:27 AM
CF Veteran

Well, round 1 was a fail. Re soldered all the joints on the board, still the same problem. But if I pull the direction signal switch in, either with the car on or off, both lo and hi beams will come on every time.
One other thing, the auto lights never worked and still don't. Occasionally, if I left the switch in the auto light position and shut the car off and walked away, I would notice the headlights were still on. Don't know if thats related.
So back to the drawing board. A schematic would help.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:52 AM
CF Veteran

Am now leaning toward the multifunction switch, or more likely, a burnt connector to the same, ...
Old 09-22-2016, 11:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee

Does the zj operate like the xj as far as all the headlight juice going through the headlight switch? Or is it a relay setup like everyone switches to with the putco or similar harness for the xj? And here is a place that might help you find your diagram.

http://www.morris4x4center.com/knowl...ex.htm#service
Old 09-22-2016, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by carbuff
Does the zj operate like the xj as far as all the headlight juice going through the headlight switch? Or is it a relay setup like everyone switches to with the putco or similar harness for the xj? And here is a place that might help you find your diagram.

http://www.morris4x4center.com/knowl...ex.htm#service
No the ZJ uses a relay in the fuseblock in the cabin, however, the main power does go through that multifunction switch.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:54 PM
CF Veteran

***DISREGARD THIS POST AND SCHEMATIC IT DOES NOT APPLY TO THE 97 AND 98***THE WIRE LABELED '10GA RED' WAS TO BLAME BUT IS BLUE WITH RED STRIPE ON THE ACTUAL SCHEMATIC. ALSO YOU WILL NEED PIN NUMBERS OF THE CONNECTORS TO TROUBLESHOOT. SEE NEXT POST.

So I think this is a much better schematic
Since I have both hi and lo when I pull the dimmer (aka Flash to Pass), that tells me grounds are ok, the 25A cb in the headlight switch is ok, and there is little else it could be other than the dimmer switch in the multifunction switch has hung up or is otherwise OOO.

Last edited by 97grand4.0; 09-24-2016 at 06:36 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seriously. $120 for a headlight switch?