Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Replacing the crank shaft position sensor on 94 v8 GC

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Replacing the crank shaft position sensor on 94 v8 GC

To make a long story short i had the crank shaft position sensor replaced by a friend of mine, it ran good for about 3 months, recently it has been stalling and i've been getting the check engine light that reads no crank shaft sensor detection. I called my buddy up to see if he could help remove it again so i can go warranty the part out, only problem is that he's out of town for awhile. I remember him telling me that it's a pain to get at it, but i was wondering if anyone on here had good techniques at getting to it. Also what size tool fits into the bolts? Its a 1994 V8. Any information would be greatly appriecated. Thank you.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

My manual doesn't give that information. I'd call the dealer service dept. and ask them.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

This is from a different site but it may be helpful. It seems that the location depends on engine type.

Here

and here.

I had a really good DIY with pictures but my hard drive crashed. Now I cannot find it. Hope this helps.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:01 PM

i just replaced the cps in my 2000 jeep JC and it was a "fun" job. I had to jack the jeep up as high as i could to get a good angle on the bolt. I am a total noob when it comes to car repair.. so if i can do it you can too! also if its in the same spot mine is (behind the motor close the the fire wall driver side) you may have to move some wires/cables out of the way a few inches. Once i had the bolt out the sensor would not back right out.. i had to pull it out about 1/2 inch and rotate the bolt eyelet towards the front of the car.... then it backed out. hope this helps you out.

Alex
Old 10-03-2009, 09:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

On the 5.2L V8 it's on the pass. side rear, below and behind the head, bolted to the bellhousing. I think the bolts are an inside Torx head.

Last edited by ol"blue; 10-03-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:06 PM

Thanks for that info, i got to it and replaced it, fixed my stalling issue, but NOW my Alternator or battery is shot. I'm not sure how to tell which it is, if someone can help me. I took it to autozone and they tested the battery and told me it's the battery, but when i jump it, the jeep will start, when it does i pull the positive off of the battery terminal and it dies. If i remember right, is that a sign that the alternators out? Or is it possible that the battery doesn't have enough power to give to the alternator (Sorry i'm not very good with Alternator and batterys, just know a little) Please help.

Oh yeah, when i jump the battery the jeep will start and i can drive it around, but everything in the car (lights etc.) are very dim, and the battery thing on the dash is all the way down when i'm off the gas, it goes up to normal when im giving it gas.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

With the engine off check the battery voltage with a volt meter. It should read around 12 volts, a bit higher if it is in good shape. Now, with the meter attached, have someone start the engine and check battery voltage during start. It should not go below about 8-9 volts. The lower the voltage the worse the battery condition. A load test on the battery will tell you how good it is.

Now, with the engine running check battery voltage again. It should read 13-15 volts indicating that the alternator is providing a charge. If you do not see this voltage, check at the alternator. Attach a volt meter between the alternator B+ terminal, the large wire with a red insulator cover, and ground. You should see 13-15 volts if the alternator is working properly. You can follow the B+ wire to the battery to check it.

If you are getting a good charge from the alternator then you probably have a battery problem. If you do not see a good charge from the alternator, then you may have a bad alternator, bad voltage regulator which is in the PCM or maybe a wiring problem.

With you battery meter on the dash following engine speed, my guess would be good alternator bad battery. But, a good system check is needed to find out.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:02 PM

thank you, i will be checking this ASAP.