Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Grand Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 12-09-2009, 02:00 AM   #1

View mushhawk's Photo Album My Photos
2002 Grand Cherokee
Default Replacing 2002 Grand Cherokee Heater Core

Hey guys,
I have a 2002 Grand Cherokee with a bad heater core.
The windows fog up whenever it's cool at all...even if the heater isn't on.
I get a slight antifreeze scent sometimes.

I talked to a couple mechanics. They said it is the heater core that needs replaced.

They want $800 or so to replace it.
So, I am pretty mechanically inclined in general. I have done some work on it in the past.
How difficult will it be for me to get to the heater core?
I have no idea specifically where it is located. I've been told it is buried behind the dash somewhere. Where exactly is it located? Is it in the center of the dash console?

The core only costs $75. Is it worth it for me to try and dissect the dash? How easy will it be? I have a company car that I can drive, so I don't need my grand cherokee at all for a month. (I'm taking a road trip in 1 month, so I WILL need it then.....and I'd like to be able to see out the windows!)

So, given that I have a month to mess with it and I won't need to drive it until then, how would I go about doing this?
Can someone walk me through it and where it's located?
Or, is it just a rediculously difficult job that only a mechanic's shop can do?

Also, if any of you live in the Lawrence KS area, do you know of any cheap mechanics or shade-tree mechanics that can do it? Paying $800 would really hurt the bank account.

Thanks!
mushhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:09 AM   #2

View mushhawk's Photo Album My Photos
2002 Grand Cherokee
Default Parts Diagram

Also, I forgot to mention, do any of you know where there is a 2002 Grand Cherokee parts diagram that would show me where all of the parts to the heater core system are located, as well as nuts, screws, fasteners, hoses, etc...??
mushhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #3

View Jaybird808's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default Heater Core

i have a 2002 grand cherokee limited as well and believe the heater core is bad. I bought it a year ago and noticedthe fogging and scent of antifreeze immediately and asked the dealer about it. They toldme it was probably just some burning off and not to worry there was no leak. Now the fogging is unbearable and i dont know how much time i have left before the core blows... was wondering what you ended up doing and how much it ended up costing??
Jaybird808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
CF Veteran

View ol"blue's Photo Album My Photos
2004 Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird808 View Post
i have a 2002 grand cherokee limited as well and believe the heater core is bad. I bought it a year ago and noticedthe fogging and scent of antifreeze immediately and asked the dealer about it. They toldme it was probably just some burning off and not to worry there was no leak. Now the fogging is unbearable and i dont know how much time i have left before the core blows... was wondering what you ended up doing and how much it ended up costing??
Welcome to CF. I'll send you a Private Message.

"...Never Use Post Count as A Knowledge Gauge." Willys55

CBW Member#97

If no answer, ask here>
www.CHEROKEETECH.com

RIP Carroll Shelby
http://www.carrollshelbyfoundation.org/
http://carrollshelbyfoundation.com/

If you're not breaking parts you're not making enough power!!!
"I NEED MORE TRACTION, NOT MORE BOOST"

ol"blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #5

View GI-Jeepin''s Photo Album My Photos
1998 Cherokee

Be very very patient. This particular repair rates at the top of the list of any and all major pain in the ***** situations!!! I had this happen to me once, albeit in a Ford Expedition. I decided to go the dealership route, my reasoning was the warranty and my sanity. But that was me. If your feeling froggy enough to tackle this then remember, take your time.

2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo - RIP
1998 Cherokee Sport
1965 M416 Trailer
GI-Jeepin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
Seasoned Member

View jronald's Photo Album My Photos
1993 Grand Cherokee

Plan on it taking 2 full days, that way when it takes a little over a day, you will be happy. My beast was a 93, and between 3 sets of instructions I was able to knock it out in about 11 hours total. Mine took longer because I was adding addtional wiring to run some addtional equipment. Since the dash was already stripped to the firewall I figured why not!

Ron
Old 12-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #7

View childers's Photo Album My Photos
2002 Cherokee

There are 3 parts to this video, I changed mine in around 12 hours after careful planning. After watching the videos a couple of times it was no problem at all.

Hope this helps!

childers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #8

View mcbreeden's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default After heater core installation

I'm bumping this thread instead of creating a new one, I hope I get a response. I just replaced the heater core and a/c core from my 2002 grand cherokee. I put about 40 ounces of r-134a in the a/c and refilled the anti-freeze. Air works but no hot air. How long should it take before hot air starts working? Top hose hot bottom not so hot, new hose.
mcbreeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #9
CF Veteran

2004 Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbreeden View Post
I'm bumping this thread instead of creating a new one, I hope I get a response. I just replaced the heater core and a/c core from my 2002 grand cherokee. I put about 40 ounces of r-134a in the a/c and refilled the anti-freeze. Air works but no hot air. How long should it take before hot air starts working? Top hose hot bottom not so hot, new hose.
Welcome to CF. Sounds like you might have a problem with either the blend doors, which is more common, or the temp control ****. This will explain about the blend doors. >http://www.heatertreater.net/jeep-grand-cherokee-98-04

CBW Member#97

If no answer, ask here>
www.CHEROKEETECH.com

RIP Carroll Shelby

Old 11-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #10

View Revv9k's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default Reviving an old thread?

Hey guys. Brand new on this forum. Brand new to Jeeps. Just picked up a Limited for the wife. Love it.
Anyways, I just wanted to say that searching this forum and folloing the guides, I just finished replacing the heater core in our 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.
Was not the easiest job in the world but it wasnt the hardest. Wasnt too messy either. Its pretty time consuming and there are alot of steps. Thats about it.
Just wanted to say thanks for the guides and you'll probably see me around here more as we dont plan to get rid of this thing for a while!
Revv9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:47 PM   #11
CF Veteran

2004 Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revv9k View Post
Hey guys. Brand new on this forum. Brand new to Jeeps. Just picked up a Limited for the wife. Love it.
Anyways, I just wanted to say that searching this forum and folloing the guides, I just finished replacing the heater core in our 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.
Was not the easiest job in the world but it wasnt the hardest. Wasnt too messy either. Its pretty time consuming and there are alot of steps. Thats about it.
Just wanted to say thanks for the guides and you'll probably see me around here more as we dont plan to get rid of this thing for a while!
Welcome to CF. It's great when you can do it yourself and save money.

CBW Member#97

If no answer, ask here>
www.CHEROKEETECH.com

RIP Carroll Shelby

Old 11-09-2012, 11:47 PM

submit to reddit