Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Please Help!! Transfer Case Popping and Kicks out of Gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 01:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L
Default Please Help!! Transfer Case Popping and Kicks out of Gear

I have a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee, with a 3.5" lift, and 31" tires.

I am having an issue with what I think is my Transfer Case. I had a popping sound coming from the front and I thought it was a ball joint. I found out it was my transfer case a few days ago when my it popped out of 4WD into neutral. I spoke to a friend and he said I needed to adjust the linkage and so I did. After the adjustment my Jeep did fine for a few days and now it is making a popping sound again and it jumped into neutral again while driving at a low speed. I had to come to a stop and put the transmission into neutral and shift into 4lo before it would go into gear.

What could cause this and how big of a fix is it? I do not know the transfer case I have, but it has 3 positions, 4wd - N - 4lo.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:41 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Okay, that's the 249 transfer case and I'd say your viscous clutch is shot. That part cost between $300 and $400 and requires total disassembly of the t/case to replace. Most guys faced with this problem choose to swap for the 242 or 231 t/case.

Check out this link; http://jeepforum.com/forum/f13/trans...-np242-685644/. It will give you all the info you'll need to make a decision.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:16 AM

thank you for the response...
I am not fully convinced that it is the VC. I have read many different forums and all of them speak of a chattering when turning. I have not had this problem when turning. It is only when I am going straight. It always starts after I slow down and then it will continue as I accelerate. It is not something that happens all the time either. There are days it wont act like this at all. Does this really sound like the VC? If so I will do a 249 - 242 swap but I want to be positive.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:46 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Well, it IS possible there is something wrong with the internal shift forks or detent checks. It may just be a broken spring behind the check ball. When you said the front shaft was removed, I instantly thought toasted VC.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by dave1123
Well, it IS possible there is something wrong with the internal shift forks or detent checks. It may just be a broken spring behind the check ball. When you said the front shaft was removed, I instantly thought toasted VC.
I never removed the Front Shaft... I guess the only way to know what is wrong is to crack the case and look.

Will the VC make the noise going in a straight line?
Old 01-14-2015, 11:14 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Sorry, I guess I got you confused with someone else. No, I don't think the VC would be a problem driving straight, but if the linkage isn't locked in place by the detent check ball, it could kick out of gear.

I have the 242 t/case and sometimes when I shift back into 2WD, the shifter will pop and move backwards about 1/4". It must be that's where it's supposed to be and the cable is slightly out of adjustment. Yours is a linkage while mine is a cable. Now that I think about it, yours has a torque shaft in the linkage that has a socket on one end that sometimes comes out of it's mounting. That could be your problem.

Let me see if I can explain this; the rod from the shift lever goes to a shaft that twists. on the other end of this shaft is a rod that goes to the shift lever on the side of the t/case. There is a bearing on the end of the shaft that twists where it mounts to the frame that sometimes comes out of it's mounting. This will cause a lot of slop in the shifting.

I know, clear as mud, right?
Old 01-15-2015, 04:15 AM

You are a big help in trying to figure out my problem, I just wanted you to know how thankful I am.

I am a bit confused, as you said "clear as mud..."
The only slack I have in the the shifter is side to side. Would this be a cause in the popping/grinding I am hearing. It has not popped out of gear any since the other day, although I do hear the popping/grinding sound ever so often. It mostly happens when I slow down to a stop, and then it will do a little as I accelerate from that same stop. I have not heard it making a sound at 30+ mph, gut that really doesn't mean much as I don't get above 35 mph hardly at all.

I am toying with the notion to go ahead and do a TC swap to the 242J. It sounds to be a better fit for the application I want to use the jeep for. I do not like the idea that the differential does not lock with my current TC.
The following users liked this post:
Dr FeeLGoOd (05-18-2020)
Old 01-15-2015, 05:22 AM
Old fart with a wrench

IDK about the side to side looseness. I think it shouldn't be there. I've owned 2 jeeps with the 242 t/case and neither one has/had any side-to-side motion in them. I have to push down on the shifter to go into neutral and 4lo, but that's designed in. Personally, I love the 242 and I specifically looked for them before I bought both jeeps. I heard too many horror stories about the 249. The problem was I couldn't find a V8 with the 242 so I'm stuck with the I6, which is okay in my book. I quit looking for neck-snapping performance years ago. This 4.0 will last about as long as my body does. I turn 70 this month.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:35 AM

Happy Early Birthday...

I did not have a clue what I was getting into when I bought this Jeep. It is not as bad as it could be though. I have a question about the 2wd selection on the 424. will the front shaft be turning when I am in 2wd? If they do how do I stop the front drive shaft from turning?
Old 01-16-2015, 02:56 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Yes, it will turn without power and there is no way to stop it unless you want to go to the expense of installing lock-out front hubs, and I'm not even sure it can be done on jeeps.

My '87 Chevy 4WD truck had a t/case similar to the 231 with locking front hubs. It was a real PITA to get out and lock them in every time I needed 4WD and it didn't seem to make any difference in MPG either way. It only gave me 8 mpg ever!
Old 01-29-2015, 06:01 AM

I have another question about my TC problem. I was driving the other day and it start popping again, but this time it did not pop out of 4wd position. It stayed in 4wd but there was a lot of grinding coming from the transfer case and my jeep would not move. I put the selector into Neutral and it would not go back into 4wd until I put it into 4lo. I was wondering if it was the VC that is causing this or could it be something more simple like the plastic pieces on the selector fork?
Old 01-29-2015, 06:32 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Honestly, there isn't too much to know until you eyeball the guts.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6

I had a np249 that was popping every once in a while (not any more )

My u-joint let loose and blew my t case up I was doing 55 mph when it went) .

Now doing a 231 swap