Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

noise under front end

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Cool noise under front end

I own a 1995 Grand Cherokee, not to long ago I noticed a roaring sound coming form underneath the front, for peace of mind I checked the drive shaft/U-joints and there is no play, movement or slop, in fact that part of the drive trane is tight! I put the vehicle upon 4 jack stands and with the motor running I put it in gear to engaged all the drive components and the noise seem to come from the passenger side wheel which leads me to believe it is the wheel bearings. Now, this is the first Jeep product I have ever owned and unlike most 4WD's I'm familiar with you some way/somehow engage the front wheels to go from 2WD to 4WD however, this vehicle seem to be in 4WD all the time EXCEPT when pulling a trailer or when you need the extra pull for what ever reason you simply drop it into LOW 4WD to get the extra torque. Now with all that said, I noticed when the vehicle's drive trane was engaged only the right wheel (passenger side) continuously turned, is this common? and do you think my prognosis about the wheel bearing is correct?
Thank you.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

jack up the front and grab the top and bottom of the tire,if there is play it's a wheel bearing...OMG!! NEVER put it 4 low to do anything other than slow moving through deep muck!! sounds like you have the quadratrac which is full time 4WD you don't have to "engage" the hubs they are always engaged
Old 03-31-2009, 11:21 AM

Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

I sure hope you are not having the same problem I am on my 99. People are telling me it is the transfer case, I have already replaced the wheel bearings and no luck so far. But my noise sounds the same.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:54 AM

Model: Cherokee
Default problem solved but

Dixie Girl,
I was lucky. the problem was in the passenger side front bearing assembly. It's to bad your in NC, I live in the DFW area in Texas do business with a independant shop that I have been doing business with for 6 years and have no complaints. he's honest and is reasonable. From what I read your getting some good advice from other members and I agree stay away from the dealership shops in all my dealings with them I've never had a good dealing with them. One more thing and I'm not rubbing salt in your wound but the front bearing assemblies cost $120.00 each and take about an hour to remove and replace. I would tell more but I've got to go. Good luck and best wishes!! Oh have fun at the beach.