Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

This noise is going to drive me nuts , nuts , nuts

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default This noise is going to drive me nuts , nuts , nuts

Hello fellow Jeepers - I need your help.
The classic 4.0 engine noise is going to put me in a mental hospital if I can't get it resolved
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ 4.0 in very good shape - I have what sounds like a valve noise but is not constant nor does it remain true to the RPM ( changes intermittent with different rpm and even goes away above 2200 )
What's been done so far :
New lifters installed - new push rods - intake exhaust manifold gasket - head gasket - oil change - flush - cleaned throttle body and AIC valve - checked flex plate - and a few simple things. It really sounds more like a vibration but does increase in frequency with acceleration. I've put a stethoscope under the engine and the majority of the noise can be heard when I make contact with the exhaust pipe just after the split that separates the six cylinders , causing me to think .... Valve train and probably exhaust valve.
I've heard rumors that a CCv and or pcv valve can cause this type of noise. I know the bottom of the engine is in great shape ( wrist pins Pistons main etc ) so I'm good there. Sometimes you hear it well and sometimes it's almost gone. I'm just looking for ANY possibilities from the guys ( or gals ) that have had this type of PITA before and could help me locate the noise before I drive it into the drink. I'm at your mercy my friends - HELP PLEASE
Old 07-27-2015, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 318

Mine was making funny noises and it was the guts in the cat. were loose and rattling around.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:42 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Yeah, I'd put my money on the cat. The classic valve noise should disappear above an idle, especially with new lifters.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Hi fellows, i used to have that anoying noise in my XJ, and it was a piston noise, i had to put a set of new pistons in it and the noise went away....that was my experience, hopefully you don´t need to do this, good luck and cheers!!