Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Grand Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
submit to reddit
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 6

View Napoleon85's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Grand Cherokee
Default Newbie with a part-time 4wd question *pic added*

First off I want to say hi to everyone. I just signed up for this forum since I've been driving a 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo for about two months now and found this site while researching about my Jeep. I'm not really a Jeep or off-road enthusiast but I live in OH and travel for a living so a 4WD SUV was a necessity for me.

I ran into an interesting issue today with the "part time" 4WD setting and it has me pretty stumped and a bit concerned. The weather today was pretty crappy (pouring rain) and I was driving down a less than stellar country road so I put the Jeep in "full-time" 4WD to get extra traction. I drove through the bad weather so I put the car back into 2WD but the "part time" light on my dash stayed on. I thought this was odd but didn't think much of it until I went to leave later on. I had pulled into a parking spot and had a really hard time backing out (the "part time" light was still on). I know now that this is because the "part time" 4WD locks the drivetrain but what I don't understand is why the Jeep wouldn't go into 2WD. The owner's guide says you can shift between 2WD, part time, and full time at "any legal speed" and I wasn't going in excess of what could possibly be considered "any legal speed."

I was able to eventually get the car back into 2WD after cycling between the three repeatedly but I'm curious as to why this happened. Is something wrong with my Jeep? Is there an easier way to get it back in 2WD than just cycling through 2WD, Part Time, Full Time over and over? It seemed to be really rough on the drivetrain to be "stuck" in "part time" 4WD.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Anthony

Last edited by Napoleon85; 09-22-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
CF Veteran
 
mike37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Paso Robles Ca
Posts: 2,473

View mike37's Photo Album My Photos
1991 Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
First off I want to say hi to everyone. I just signed up for this forum since I've been driving a 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo for about two months now and found this site while researching about my Jeep. I'm not really a Jeep or off-road enthusiast but I live in OH and travel for a living so a 4WD SUV was a necessity for me.

I ran into an interesting issue today with the "part time" 4WD setting and it has me pretty stumped and a bit concerned. The weather today was pretty crappy (pouring rain) and I was driving down a less than stellar country road so I put the Jeep in "full-time" 4WD to get extra traction. I drove through the bad weather so I put the car back into 2WD but the "part time" light on my dash stayed on. I thought this was odd but didn't think much of it until I went to leave later on. I had pulled into a parking spot and had a really hard time backing out (the "part time" light was still on). I know now that this is because the "part time" 4WD locks the drivetrain but what I don't understand is why the Jeep wouldn't go into 2WD. The owner's guide says you can shift between 2WD, part time, and full time at "any legal speed" and I wasn't going in excess of what could possibly be considered "any legal speed."

I was able to eventually get the car back into 2WD after cycling between the three repeatedly but I'm curious as to why this happened. Is something wrong with my Jeep? Is there an easier way to get it back in 2WD than just cycling through 2WD, Part Time, Full Time over and over? It seemed to be really rough on the drivetrain to be "stuck" in "part time" 4WD.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Anthony
if the system has not been used in a long time they stick
with the shifter in 2wd and backing strait back 100' or so should release it
next time you are on a dirt road shift into part time 4wd to get thing lubricated
__________________
Paso Robles Ca
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/picture...pictureid=6290
mike37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 6

View Napoleon85's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Grand Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike37 View Post
next time you are on a dirt road shift into part time 4wd to get thing lubricated
I don't find myself on them often ... it will probably snow first, would heavy snow be OK? Thanks for the other info. I'll try the 100' straight back if I get stuck again.
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 6

View Napoleon85's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Grand Cherokee
Default

I attached a pic (although a crappy one taken with my phone). I figured I should since one is generally mandatory on your first post
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie with a part-time 4wd question-0630091512.jpg  
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 6

View Napoleon85's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Grand Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike37 View Post
with the shifter in 2wd and backing strait back 100' or so should release it
Well I thought the car was out of part time 4wd but when I hopped in to go get some dinner the Part Time light was on. Maybe I had just moved the shifter enough times to confuse it before. I tried driving backwards for about 100' (probably much more to be honest) a couple times and it never came off. I can shift into Full Time 4wd and the light goes off, just not 2wd. I can drive the car in full time 4wd but parking lots kinda suck...

I also found this: http://www.automotiveforums.com/t885...part_time.html
Do our Jeeps have the same sort of shift lever? I'm mechanically inclined and could check this given direction but I generally try to stay away from transmission/driveline related stuff so I don't think i can just guess.
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Skreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Phillipsburg, NJ
Posts: 717

View Skreed's Photo Album My Photos
1990 Cherokee
Default

Quote:
if the system has not been used in a long time they stick
with the shifter in 2wd and backing strait back 100' or so should release it
next time you are on a dirt road shift into part time 4wd to get thing lubricated
x2


had the same issue a while back, i changed my t case fluid and used the heck out of it for a while shifts like butter now.
__________________
-Mike

1990 XJ d30/8.25 4.5" lift 32's, ZJ steering, Rusty's HD Trackbar, Solid Diff cover
1999 XJ stock DD
Skreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:32 AM   #7
CF Veteran
 
ol"blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tenn. and Mich.
Posts: 28,056

View ol"blue's Photo Album My Photos
2004 Grand Cherokee
Default

Here's a little info. http://www.wjjeeps.com/tcases.htm
You have the NV242 Selec-Trac transfer case.
And Welcome to CF.
__________________
Dan
'04 Grand Cherokee SE: 4.7L V8 w/235 HP, 4X4
'04 Saturn Vue: 3.5L V6 w/250 HP, AWD

"...Never Use Post Count as A Knowledge Gauge." Willys55

CBW Member#97

If no answer, ask here>
www.CHEROKEETECH.com


RIP Carroll Shelby
http://www.carrollshelbyfoundation.org/
http://carrollshelbyfoundation.com/



If you're not breaking parts you're not making enough power!!!
"I NEED MORE TRACTION, NOT MORE BOOST"


Last edited by ol"blue; 09-23-2009 at 12:35 AM.
ol"blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:20 AM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 6

View Napoleon85's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Grand Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol"blue View Post
Here's a little info. http://www.wjjeeps.com/tcases.htm
You have the NV242 Selec-Trac transfer case.
And Welcome to CF.
Yes, that is definitely the one I have. It seems perfectly sufficient for my needs, however, if I had designed it I would have made the order

2wd
full time 4wd
part time 4wd

rather than the other way around. It seems a bit crazy to me that to shift into full time 4wd you have to go through a setting that locks your drivetrain. Couldn't this cause some unsafe driving conditions (say you engaged it in a turn on a slippery road)?
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #9
CF Veteran
 
ol"blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tenn. and Mich.
Posts: 28,056

View ol"blue's Photo Album My Photos
2004 Grand Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
Yes, that is definitely the one I have. It seems perfectly sufficient for my needs, however, if I had designed it I would have made the order

2wd
full time 4wd
part time 4wd

rather than the other way around. It seems a bit crazy to me that to shift into full time 4wd you have to go through a setting that locks your drivetrain. Couldn't this cause some unsafe driving conditions (say you engaged it in a turn on a slippery road)?
I agree, but there must be a technical reason for the design. They would have made it simpler if they could. At least for safety reasons. Don't you think? JMO
__________________
Dan
'04 Grand Cherokee SE: 4.7L V8 w/235 HP, 4X4
'04 Saturn Vue: 3.5L V6 w/250 HP, AWD

"...Never Use Post Count as A Knowledge Gauge." Willys55

CBW Member#97

If no answer, ask here>
www.CHEROKEETECH.com


RIP Carroll Shelby
http://www.carrollshelbyfoundation.org/
http://carrollshelbyfoundation.com/



If you're not breaking parts you're not making enough power!!!
"I NEED MORE TRACTION, NOT MORE BOOST"

ol"blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:24 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
nasonguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 775

View nasonguy's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
I don't find myself on them often ... it will probably snow first, would heavy snow be OK?
The idea is to have a slipery surface so as not to damage you drive train when driving in part time 4wd.

So I'd think if there was so much snow that the tires didn't contact the pavement, you'd be OK.
nasonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:24 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
seed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: pa
Posts: 772

View seed's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Grand Cherokee
Default

The 242 usually requires that the load momentarily be released to fully engage/disengage,i.e,quickly taking your foot off the accelerator once or twice if shifting while driving or moving the trans shifter from D to R if stationary.

However,sounds to me like you need your linkage adjusted.
__________________
2000 laredo lifted & stuff
seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #12
CF Veteran
 
mike37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Paso Robles Ca
Posts: 2,473

View mike37's Photo Album My Photos
1991 Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seed View Post
The 242 usually requires that the load momentarily be released to fully engage/disengage,i.e,quickly taking your foot off the accelerator once or twice if shifting while driving or moving the trans shifter from D to R if stationary.

However,sounds to me like you need your linkage adjusted.
that would be a good idea if it wont release by backing up

for now drive it in full time to keep from damaging any thing
__________________
Paso Robles Ca
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/picture...pictureid=6290
mike37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:22 AM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 6

View Napoleon85's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Grand Cherokee
Default

Quick update: My Jeep did finally shift back into 2WD but I have no idea why. I have a mechanic friend that's familiar with 4WD drivetrains that's going to give me a hand changing all the fluids (transfer case, differentials) and check the linkage.
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:16 PM   #14
Seasoned Member
 
rickybarth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: long island
Posts: 489

View rickybarth's Photo Album My Photos
1997 Grand Cherokee
Default

how do you adjust the linkage i have the same problkem but mine is with 4 low
rickybarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3

View ryansanz's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default

I'm having this same issue...did you ever resolve? What's the verdict?
ryansanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:49 PM
 
 
 
submit to reddit
Reply
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Grand Cherokee Tech



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
part-time vs full-time motogpman2006 OEM Cherokee Tech 53 04-03-2014 01:30 PM
Question about Part-time vs Full-time 4WD kidkodiak OEM Cherokee Tech 13 06-14-2010 05:26 PM
Problem with part/full time MrPappous OEM Cherokee Tech 0 08-24-2009 06:56 AM
part time 4x4 2001xj OEM Cherokee Tech 4 12-30-2008 11:11 PM
Quick question RE: Part Time 4WD light Z71456 OEM Cherokee Tech 17 06-28-2008 08:23 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Jeep or Chrysler.

Emails Backup