Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Need help troubleshooting ignition switch problems

Old 12-07-2016, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Need help troubleshooting ignition switch problems

Hey, I have a 1996 grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2l. And I recently started having problems with the key getting stuck and it wouldn't turn over to the off position and I read that someone said they pushed the shifter up past park a little &itd come out. Tried it & it worked. For 3 days. On the 4th day I went to start it. Nothing no crank. And the ignition felt like it wasn't working right if you turned to the on position the key was free moving. Called auto zone and talked to a guy they said just change the ignition switch, changed the switch and got it back together every thing is connected good. Only thing is the lock cylinder end was broke off so I super glued it back to place put it back together until my new one comes in and now my radio nor my power windows work when you turn the key over they work but when you put it in the starting position they cut off and don't work & then I was driving it and the head lights cut off I still have my back lights & brake lights , and parking lights and turn signal. I just don't know everything is put back to how it was and they all worked before I changed the ignition switch. I even tried pulling the ground cable off and let it sit for about 15 mins and tried and still the same thing. The battery is good and the alternator. If anyone has anything info that could help itd be more than appreciated -thanks Cecil