Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

my new jeep/need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 10:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder
Default my new jeep/need some advice

Hello everyone

as i mentioned in a prior thread my poor baby bit the dust thanks to a careless texting driver not paying attention. two of the three pictures below are of my darling at the junk yard. the other picture is of the new one i bought.

i think i got a decent deal on the vehicle. with its age and price i was not expecting something that didn't need something right away or soon. it does sound real good and drove fine when i took it for a test drive.

as with any used vehicle purchase i have a bunch of small things to do just for piece of mind, oil change, radiator flush, hose replacements etc. more or less some general maintenance stuff.

had to replace a tire for it due to its age, the tire was 11 years old and told it was a hazard to use.

its got a lot of little things a lot i had already replaced on my old jeep but so far the ac seems to work good where my old one was still broken after putting about 600 in parts into it. this vehicle also have a tranny cooler i which mine did not have that i know of.

some things i have to fix quickly for my own piece of mind and at least to make it feel safer.

shocks
brake pads and rotors (2 thing on the firstones must important right behind that one tire)
control arm bushings i guess all 4 are bad
it has (or at least had) an oil leak, they said rear main seal, the oil filter adapter. and the oil pan. the prior owner said he just fixed the oil leak he had at the adapter, i think it was an o ring. i plan on buying some at-205 to put in iwth the oil and see what happens. i'll check the valve cover bolts make sure they are good and snub and clean everything up and see how the leak proceeds. on my old jeep they said ti was a rear main seal but i lost so little oil it was hard to pin down. i would not even need to add any between oil changes. right about the time i would get to where i would add half a quart to fill it back up it was time for an oil change.

lots of cosmetic things to do mainly on the trim inside nothing that impacts the function of the vehicle and i'd like to get it painted sooner or later.

i am not a mechanic so what i can do is limited, videos and such online has helped me to do a lot more than i would have before

i do have one thing thats odd. the vehicle had power doors locks and windows. all the windows work just fine (just fixed a couple on my old one) but the power locks do no work.

when you hit the lock or unlock button they don't unlock or lock the doors. the only door that actually can unlock this way is the rear hatch door that locks and unlocks this way. when you hit the button is sure sounds like it works you hear the noise and such and when driving and you hit the 15-20mpg it sounds as if the doors are locking. whats the procedure to determine what the problem is and fix it.

so if anyone can let me know how to figure out that door lock issue, where or what to find for trim and such that would be great.

below i'll put in a few pictures