Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

looking for clips for disc brake glides on a 93

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default looking for clips for disc brake glides on a 93

I have a 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 160k miles. The front brake disk pad guide rails have little grooves where the pads rest and "glide". I have replaced the pads many times and there where never any anti rattle clips. I found some clips that go on the pads from RockAuto but was looking for some clips that will go over the guide rails to cover those grooves. Without them the pads tend to get stuck or worse rattle in those grooves.
I have seen such a set of clips for Fords where they have a clip for the guide and another for the pad.
Anyone have this problem and has found a clip from another vehicle that will fit these guild rails? OR another idea for solving this problem?

Thanks
Old 11-21-2014, 12:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

Buy a higher quality pad then. It seems to be a hit or miss on cheap pads if they come with. With the higher quality pads they come with 99% of the time.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:38 AM

I have clips that I bought from rockauto. I have ceramic pads on drilled and slotted disks. The problem is that there are never any clips for the glides or slides that the ends of the pads ride on. I have seen clips on other vehicles such as ford expedition. It makes sense because it keeps the slides surface from wearing grooves. I do not like altering the size of the glide by filing it down. Would love to find clips for the slides so the pads would ride against that instead of the raw metal which now has small grooves that the pads get caught in. I am thinking of trying some JB weld to fill the gooves. If you look at the repair manual they never show the pads having clips.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:41 PM
CF Veteran

Well I looked up at my work (advance auto) for clips to protect the slides and there isn't for a dana 30 that I could find. The only thing I could find were clips that are spring loaded to lock the pads to the mount. These were used in the 89 and lower years as those calipers didn't physically hold the pads. If you have the correct thickness of clip on the pads then there isn't anything to worry about. The anti rattle clips when installed properly sit between the pads and the mount just like what you are looking for. The anti rattler clips differ greatly between vehicles. Some mount on the slide that the pad sits on, Some are riveted on the pads, and the ones that are meant for your jeep.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:54 PM

I have some clips from rockauto Carlson H5702 which only go over the pad ends. Like I said before there are now grooves in the glides where the pads over the years have rested directly on the glides and have worn grooves. Ford has clips for both the glides and the pads so the clips ride on the clips and never wear anything out but the clips. Great idea but one that Jeep did not think of.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:35 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I was going to tell you to replace the mounting brackets because that's what I had to do with my WJ, but looking at parts for the 93, they aren't listed. Maybe they aren't separate from the spindle carrier, IDK.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:47 PM

The spindle assembly with the upper and lower ball joints and the whole thing is one piece. So this option of JB weld or clips or something is the only way for me. Right now all that it is doing is making a racket. The brakes work fine. I am trying to find some universal clips or those from a Ford Expedition that I've seem to adapt. I am a retired engineer with IBM and have adapted many a device to get it working! LOL
Old 11-21-2014, 10:43 PM
CF Veteran

those groves are there because someone didn't install the pads correctly in the past. Just because Ford has clips for the mount doesn't mean Jeep has them. I looked tonight at work for anything that would cross reference and nothing came up. Put some jb weld on it and be done with it and install the pads correctly.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Weld and grind back flats another option.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:30 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

That's exactly what I was going to say. The pads are held in place and kept from sliding off the caliper pistons by those rails. The pads DO wear grooves in them over time. Every time you hit the brake, the pads press against the rails. On later jeeps, these rails are replaceable. The best thing you can do is weld them up and grind them down. What the wedges on the Ford system do is allow you to remove the caliper as a unit without separating the pads first, AND they are replaceable.

I suppose you could make covers for the rails, but that would require removing them from the jeep and machining them for clearance. If you're going to go to that much trouble, maybe you can mount later model spindle carriers on your axle. OR use a later axle complete.