Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

It just keeps going downhill, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default It just keeps going downhill, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I am having this problem with my sister's WJ where it would shut off randomly even after a new crank and cam sensors and fuel filter. However, today it wont even turn over. The list of things that I have checked/done are as follows:
- New crank sensor MOPAR
- New cam sensor MOPAR
- New Battery
- New Starter
- Checked the grounds from battery and PCM
- Check ASD relay its good
- Checked Battery it passed
- Checked Alternator it passed
- Checked the starter relay its good

The only way it starts is if you try and jump start it as if the battery was dead. Even then I have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it from shutting off. No check engine light 140000 miles on he vehicle.
FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST SOMEONE HELP ME
Old 02-05-2016, 09:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

Geez. Relax. It's only a car. Are you getting any codes?
Old 02-05-2016, 01:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Yes get a grip.

Perhaps its time to stop throwing money at it not knowing the problem and take it to a dealer and have them check it out to find the problem at the very least. Before you end up damaging something very expensive trying to start it. At least find out what the problem is from them as for repair that's up to your sister I guess. That 99 WJ has very low mileage on it, a 100,000 less than my 04 WJ Overland but I have a dealer do all the work on it because of the complexity of it and that is the only place that has done any work on it since new.

I decided after buying it 5 yrs ago and receiving all service records on it all from Jeep that I would keep it that way. Second owner only had it for 11 mo. till I bought it from them. A dealer isn't cheap I know but may be in the long run in your case.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:28 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L

I can't be calm... What you guys don't understand is my sister is 16 and our parents are divorced, she has no other mode of transportation, and our parents are unable to pay for a dealarship. I just wan her to have something nice and reliable besides me in her life... With all that being said no, no engine codes. Could it be the PCM?
Old 02-06-2016, 10:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

It's not likely the PCM if you can jump start it. This is not the best vehicle for a 16 year old kid with no mechanical ability or money. You have already spent money needlessly on parts you don't need. I think you need to take it to somebody and pay them an hours labor to help you out. I know you feel responsible for her, but this might be out of your hands. If you throw another few hundred bucks on a PCm and it's not the problem. Then what? Cut the losses now. It's not likely this forum is your best option for a quick answer.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 01

Originally Posted by blueseasons
It's not likely the PCM if you can jump start it. This is not the best vehicle for a 16 year old kid with no mechanical ability or money. You have already spent money needlessly on parts you don't need. I think you need to take it to somebody and pay them an hours labor to help you out. I know you feel responsible for her, but this might be out of your hands. If you throw another few hundred bucks on a PCm and it's not the problem. Then what? Cut the losses now. It's not likely this forum is your best option for a quick answer.

Hey, I had a similar problem with my ford ranger work truck. If you tried to jump it, it would start. But without, It would intermittently just not start. It would crank and crank but no start. It ended up being a bad relay for the computer. You could buy a relay and change it, or maybe switch out the computer relay for a different one already in the car. Might be a shot in the dark, but after a bunch of headaches with the ranger, that was my solution. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by n_fanelli
I am having this problem with my sister's WJ where it would shut off randomly even after a new crank and cam sensors and fuel filter. However, today it wont even turn over. The list of things that I have checked/done are as follows:
- New crank sensor MOPAR
- New cam sensor MOPAR
- New Battery
- New Starter
- Checked the grounds from battery and PCM
- Check ASD relay its good
- Checked Battery it passed
- Checked Alternator it passed
- Checked the starter relay its good

The only way it starts is if you try and jump start it as if the battery was dead. Even then I have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it from shutting off. No check engine light 140000 miles on he vehicle.
FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST SOMEONE HELP ME
How about the ground from the engine to the chassis? You can put an ohm meter between the chassis and the engine block. Also do the same from the battery to the chassis. Looking at the connectors and figuring they are making good connections is not the same thing as taking a reading with a meter.