Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Jeep Wk 2007 3.0 CRD overland

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2007
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3.0 CRD
Default Jeep Wk 2007 3.0 CRD overland

Well finally bit the bullet and spent some hard earned cash! Swapped the WJ JGC 3.1 td for a 2007 WK.
Was experiencing bad noises from the front diff on the WJ; thought at firs was a CV which changed but noise was still there!
A mechanic friend of mine said diff on its way out( a sickener at only 110, 000 miles).
Well onwards and upwards as they say! Got the WK yesterday full service history having covered 105000 miles.
Know you are not to familiar with the diesels in the States, but if anyone can offer any advice/ things to stay on top of ( except the usual maintenance an servicing) it would be appreciated!
W
Old 04-28-2016, 12:14 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

All I can say is I wish you luck with it. I would have rebuilt the axle on the WJ myself rather than buying a WK. But that's me. WAY too much electronics on the newer models to my liking.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:56 PM

Default Wk 2007

Well can't deny that the amount of electronics is a worry; but er indoors is a true Jeepaholic! Looked at other alternatives but once you've been jeeped there's no goin back!
Was gonna cost minimum £600 to sort WJ it really was poorly- how it made it to where I part exed it I'll never know! Shame but wasn't prepared to spend that much on a truck as old!
There just isn't the support/ knowhow here in England for jeeps- they're rather go Landrover- but I've been there ;- and for me there is no contest! Jeep all the way!
Is there any WK gurus out there ? Any advice always welcome!
Thanks
Old 05-01-2016, 11:31 AM
Old fart with a wrench

There are a very few here that are familiar with the WK, but for the most part they are too new and not so easily modified for us. We tend to be XJ bashers here. I went on jeepgarage.com, but they seem to be street oriented, not off-road. For info on the WK, try wkjeeps.com. That will give you basic information on specs and features of the model and some repair info. Then again, they don't let us play with diesels too much in the US. They weren't available until just recently.

I just checked a website and I think I have an answer for you about the WK diesel jeeps. Try pacificcoastmanuals.com for a Full Service Manual for the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It says it covers the turbo-diesel models up to 2008. It costs $7.95 and is 93mb of pdf files. It covers every system on the jeep as well.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by dave1123; 05-01-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:39 AM

Thanks a lot; as always sound advice and help from you! Will check out the links you have provided!
Currently working at Badminton Horse Trials, a big annual event here in England. Towed my 21 ft caravan here with the jeep and went great!
Will do some more research on my return! Do have the books that come with the motor but there's a lot of stuff on the WK as said!
Thanks again
Old 05-04-2016, 08:27 AM

Year: 2008
Engine: 3.0L CRD

Rather refreshing to hear about another CRD WK owner, even if it's on the other side of the pond. The 3.0L is kind of a rare unicorn over here.

The obvious things to keep up on are the fluids: motor (changing my oil fairly frequent), transmission (I don't care what Mercedes says, there is no such thing as a "lifetime" fluid like they claimed for these transmissions) diff oil, coolant, etc.

Always make sure to change your air filter frequently. Helps the motor breath and use the turbo more efficiently.

Keep and eye on the front diff and your knuckles for ball joints and the like. As soon as I threw an OME 3" HD lift kit on mine, the ball joints went straight to hell, and the diff started leaking. The Mercedes 8.0 front isn't bad, but not the strongest thing out there. Axles seem to holdup fairly well, but always make sure they are checked at service.

Definitely check out those other sources that dave1123 mentioned. Really good, quick sources.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:39 AM
Old fart with a wrench

One thing I've heard about these diesels, DO NOT let them run out of fuel! It appears they are a total pain to re-prime.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:29 PM

Thanks Dagbmx and Dave1123 that's solid advice!
I am a big believer in regular servicing- it's a must!
That's the first I've heard of Mercedes claim about the " lifetime fluid", I for one will not be taking an notice of that!
I'm always surprised the amount of diesel drivers over here that let their motors get so low on fuel, to me a quarter of a tank is low enough!
I used to change engine oil n air filter every 6000 miles on my WJ; probably continue that with the WK!
Old 05-04-2016, 03:46 PM
Old fart with a wrench

With the diesel, the oil may get dirty quicker because of the carbon, but it'll probably still be good. I bought my WJ with 125K miles on it and started using Valvoline 5W-30 Synthetic changing at 5000. It would change color quickly but after several changes stayed clear. After 165K, it started using a quart between changes so I went to 10W-30. At 175K, the head cracked. After the head change, it was using about a quart in 500 miles, so I switched to Semi-Syn. Now with 192K on it, it uses a quart in 1000 miles. What can I say, it's a 4.0 and getting tired. Still runs strong, no leaks and no smoke.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:15 AM

Well it all seems to be going pear shaped!
Dave 1123 was right a myriad of electronics on the WK!
Am able to test the vehicle proper this week because at a show with mud and wet fields!
Basically the biggest and most concerning thing is can't shift to 4 wheel low!
Vehicle has the Quadra 11 system which I believe having read the handbook for the most part will adapt itself automatically, but the option is there for 4 wheel low ( lift the transfer case T handle with the transmission in neutral) but mine just throws a message up on the EVIC " Service 4WD system and won't engage! Also unable to get the transfer case into neutral should I need to be towed at anytime- press the switch as the book says with a pen with the transmission in "N etc- again get the message Service 4WD system . There is no horrible noises or anything so just presuming its electrics!
This alongside other messages I'm getting ( Service TPM , and Service Park Assist System) is all very disappointing!
Not even had the car 2 weeks yet! Did buy it thou from a used car dealer with warranty! So on my return on Monday I will be gettin in touch and arranging it to either go back and be sorted or get my money back. Not the best really as I loved the way it drove n towed on the way here!