Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Help odd problem with dash

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 06:12 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder
Default Help odd problem with dash

Hello Everyone,

I've only had this happen once today. Never had it happen before on any vehicle.

I was leaving work today and started up my Jeep. It started up just fine and everything seemed normal then I noticed the dash while light up had no working gauges.

The gasoline was on E, The battery was on 9, RPM's was at 0, speed was at 0, and oil pressure was at 0.

But the car was running so I knew at least the rpm's was wrong. Turned off the vehicle and turned it back on same thing. Proceeded to drive it home. Had the headlights on, ac was one and it drove just fine but no gauges was working.

After about five mins the check gauges light came on and as soon as it did all the gauges started to work and it went off. After that everything was working like normal. Got home turned it off and back on and it was normal.

what would be the cause of that?

Now not sure if this is related or not but before and it happens off and on when driving the dash lights will go one and off. Heard that was a bad headlight switch or bad connection.

That is on my list of stuff to fix but the list just keeps getting longer on both vehicles with nothing getting done and now tomorrow I go into surgery so I won't be working on anyting for quite a while but I do have some family that I can get to help do some things since the use of my arm and shoulder will be out of the questions but I truly need to start getting the list of repairs taken care of (most small things).

I email that clogged drain line flooding the floor is not good for the floor been wanting to get that done for a while then noticed yesterday water also leaking in from the top of the door. Seems the padding/seal is ripped and has holes not sure how to replace that yet.

anyways should I be concerned with what happened or just wait and see if it was a fluke and happens again, etc.

Thanks

Ryan from orlando
Old 06-29-2015, 02:52 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I would check the harness plug on the gauge cluster. Having said that, I had a similar problem with a corroded wire from my battery cable clamp. There are 2 wires on mine, one to the starter and the other to the PDC or fuse/relay box under the hood. The corrosion cause a voltage drop in power to everything but the starter. The engine ran like crap and the gauges didn't work. As soon as I flexed the wire, everything returned to normal.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I suspect a worn ignition switch.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:19 PM
Seasoned Member

so far it has not done it again
Old 07-01-2015, 09:47 PM
Old fart with a wrench

So wait until it leaves you stranded by the side of the road.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:23 PM
Seasoned Member

well i cant do anything right now.

not even sure i can do whats mentioned i am not a real mechanic after all.

but until i recover from surgery i am dependent on others for help. hell i cant even use the bathroom without help.

down my shoulder for weeks then i can start lightly to use it.

the issue caused no problem to drive it i was wondering if it was related to the light switch issue.

i have someone to work on my van and jeep if we can agree on prices if so ill ask him to check it out
Old 07-03-2015, 02:28 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Sorry to be sarcastic, but it seemed you didn't care because it was alright now.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Well, as of right now its not done it again but its on the list of stuff to get working on.

Still waiting on the mechanic to get back to me through other channels. He does good work from what I was told and is really good on his prices but he works at his own pace.

So once his gets done with what he's doing now hopefully I can get the repairs needed on the van done and then he can work on the jeep.

I myself will be unable to do any mechanic work (even if I knew what I was doing) for a few months. Heck in four weeks I can start lifting up to 2 or 5 pounds with my arm. Hardly enough to do any real work.

As mentioned its only happened the one time and the vehicle ran fine even while happening but there's an issue with the light switch or at least thats that I've been told with the dash flickering when on, that seemed legit as when it does it you mess with the light switch and it good but I'll ask him to check it all out.

Considering how much computer stuff are in vehicles now aways I am really surprised there are not more hiccups in them.

until later

ryan