Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Grand Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 04-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #1

View crowngirl1's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default HELP! flashing interior lights/unlocking-locking doors

I have a 98' Grand Cherokee Laredo which seems to have a problem. While driving the interior lights flash on and and off and the doors unlock and lock. It just started all of a sudden. The rougher the road, the worse it is. Like having a strobe light in the car at night! When parked, I cannot lock my doors because the slightest movement (e.g. breeze) causes the factory installed car alarm to go off!!! Any advice is much appreciated!!!!!
crowngirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:34 PM   #2

View Lumizen's Photo Album My Photos
1997 Grand Cherokee

I don't know about the door locks, but I had the same issue with my dome lights. I had to bypass the actuator switch for the rear glass hatch. I don't miss the domes coming on when I open it at all, and the problem was solved once & for all.
Lumizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:32 AM   #3

View jeepfan93's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

I would start with the all the door jamb switches, and the wires right behind them. Also the liftgate switch and those wires. The fact that it gets worse over bumps points to a bad contact. Also the fact that the alarm goes off points to a switch or to the wiring to those switches.
jeepfan93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:56 PM   #4

View swarney1's Photo Album My Photos
99 Grand Cherokee

sounds like it has a mind of its own. I would look at all contact points at all doors and lift gate. Sound like you have a loose connection or contact is rusty or has corrision. Better yet take a wire brush to all points and see if that helps.
swarney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #5

View fstrumpf's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default lights and locks

HAD SAME PROBLEM.DRIVERS SIDE. FOUND IT WAS THE SWITCH INDICATING DOOR WAS CLOSED. HINGES ARE SHOT SO DOOR NOT CLOSING 100%. i DOUBLE SIDED TAPED A NICKEL TO THE STRIKER AREA, SWITCH MADE MORE POSITIVELY AND PROBLEM WENT AWAY.
THAT WILL DO UNTIL i CAN FIGURE OUT THE HINGE REPAIR.

GOOD LUCK
fstrumpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #6

View mikepat41's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default Had this problem

Hi check youre drivers door door and window switches i found that mine were fried so had to get replacment unit cost me 40 on ebay very easy to fit after you get door facia of 3 plugs and 5 screws.
mikepat41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:25 PM   #7

View ronsp8's Photo Album My Photos
1989 Cherokee
Default flashing interior lights

Great info here. My interior lights on my 89 laredo were flashing intermittently and the solution was my driver side light switch. Took it out and cleaned it with wd40, slapped on some electrical tape and good to go. Info here was great, thanks.
ronsp8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:46 AM   #8
CF Veteran

View ol"blue's Photo Album My Photos
2004 Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowngirl1 View Post
I have a 98' Grand Cherokee Laredo which seems to have a problem. While driving the interior lights flash on and and off and the doors unlock and lock. It just started all of a sudden. The rougher the road, the worse it is. Like having a strobe light in the car at night! When parked, I cannot lock my doors because the slightest movement (e.g. breeze) causes the factory installed car alarm to go off!!! Any advice is much appreciated!!!!!
While sitting inside w/the door closed, push outward on the door to see if the dome light comes on. If it does, you can adjust the striker in the door jamb inward to make the door close tighter. Sometimes the seals get old and cause this, sometimes it's the hinges.
If the light doesn't come on when pushing drivers door, repeat with each door until you find the culprit. I "fixed" one like this and it was the drivers door. It didn't have any play in the hinges either. I just moved the striker in a little, it tightened up the seal and problem went away.
And Welcome to CF.

"...Never Use Post Count as A Knowledge Gauge." Willys55

CBW Member#97

If no answer, ask here>
www.CHEROKEETECH.com

RIP Carroll Shelby
http://www.carrollshelbyfoundation.org/
http://carrollshelbyfoundation.com/

If you're not breaking parts you're not making enough power!!!
"I NEED MORE TRACTION, NOT MORE BOOST"

ol"blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #9

View bbbngowc's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

I had the same problem with the lights flashing on and off. It was a pain in the butt during the night too. Driving down a dark road, then BOOM lights everywhere, then dark again.

My issue was the sensor for the tail gate window. It kept indicating that it was open. I pulled that bad boy out and problem gone.
bbbngowc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:15 AM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Grand Cherokee Tech