Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Grinding Noise In Front When Turning Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L HO
Default Grinding Noise In Front When Turning Wheels

Third and last issue that I can't figure out with the new truck.

When turning the wheels (rotating steering wheel) there is a grinding in the front end. It does this with the vehicle sitting still in the driveway, or anywhere for that matter, and seems to be worse turning the to the left vs. the right. It sounds like there is sand paper stuck in a joint. It did not do this when I first got the truck and I have only had it for about a month. I did have a slight squeak in the front that sounded like a bird chirping so I thought I would hit the rubber grommets in the suspension with a little spray lube in an attempt to silence the squeak. Well I succeeded in silencing the squeak but this grinding started the next time I drove the truck. I then thought I lubed something I shouldn't have and caused something to be able to move that should not be able to. I then went back and soaked everything I had spray lubed with Simple Green and hosed it all out real good trying to wash out the lube. After I do this the grinding will stop for a day or less and then return. If I have the wife turn the wheels while I watch the suspension I can hear the noise and it seems to come from the track bar but I can't make it stop. While driving the sounds seems to be coming from the drivers side front.

All fluids (xnsfer case, diffs, xmsn, etc.) have been changed by the dealer since I bought the truck. I checked to ensure hardware is tight with the vehicle on the ground. Can I use another degreaser product without damaging the rubber grommets? Other than this issue the truck drives GREAT. I just can't figure out how to make this stop without rebuilding the entire suspension, which I would do if I had won the lottery and did not have to drive the thing to work everyday.

Any ideas - HELP. This noise makes me crazy although I don't think it is anything dangerous or causing any real harm?
Old 11-26-2010, 11:46 PM

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

man i have this same issue my front end scares me i wish i knew how to fix it..
Old 11-27-2010, 09:42 AM

Year: 2003
Engine: 4.7l HO

Me I would hit some grease fittings with a gun. But it sounds like you have narrowed the problem down. Sometimes those stock rubbers just need to be replaced.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:36 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Could be anything! Start with checking wheel clearance sometimes the inner fender comes off the clips and will make a loud grind. Next jack it up from the front under the axle and check u joints, ball joints, sway bar links. I'm thinking that its your u joints though if the noise is there while standing still and turning the wheel.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:17 PM

Thanks for the replies fellas. Trust me when I say that there is nothing visibly wrong with the front end. The tires are new and there is no rubbing, they are stock size. The upper ball joints are all that is greasable and they have been greased twice in the last 2 months. There was no noise until I tried the spray lube on the rubbers to try and stop a squeaking in the front suspension. I have tried twice to wash out the lube with simplegreen and a garden hose with no luck. I just can't figure out what is making the grinding/popping noise.

Both the front and rear drive shafts were replaced a month or so ago to address other drive-line noises at highway speed that Jeep had a TSB out for. The TSB called for replacing the CV type front drive shaft with the double u-joint type shaft. That repair was successful and the drive-line is nice and quiet now. I have also very recently replaced the half-shafts on both sides.

I just have this noise that sounds like a popping/grinding in the left front suspension when I turn the wheel. I don't hear it when driving at speed. It is mainly when making slow speed turns like pulling away from a stop sign and turning. The vehicle can be sitting still and the noise will be present if you just turn the wheel back-and-forth.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

If its grinding when turning, its most likely the outer hub bearings. Could also be the u-joints too, but usually if its only when turning, its the hubs.
The following users liked this post:
DAVBOY!28 (11-04-2021)
Old 12-03-2010, 11:25 PM

Thanks for the reply. I had just replaced both the hub bearing assemblies but I had to warranty the passenger side after having it on the car for 2 weeks due to a seal blowing and it spilling grease. I'll check the drivers side again tomorrow to see how it is holding up. I'll post what I find. Thanks again guys!
Old 12-04-2010, 05:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

lay under the jeep while someone steers to try to isolate the noise, if it is a poppin it could also be the track bar is shot. if u hold on to a part while someone turns you should be able to "feel" the grind.