Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Gears Grinding in Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2016
Model: Grand Cherokee
Exclamation Gears Grinding in Reverse

I've got a brand-new Grand Cherokee that my wife and I love (it's our first Jeep), but I just had the strangest problem with it. I rented a small U-Haul trailer, and when I was returning it, I started backing up (slowly thank God) and got a terrible grinding noise from the transmission. I stopped immediately, and tried it again, barely moving, and it did it again. As soon as I detached the trailer it stopped doing it.

The next day, we were towing a trailer-mounted generator and it did the same thing when backing up. I tried turning off the "park assist" backup sensor and even tried disconnecting the trailer wiring harness while it was still on the hitch and it STILL started to grind the gears.

This never happened before towing and so far hasn't happened when no trailer is attached. I'm completely baffled by this. I'll call the dealership we bought it from tomorrow, but thought I'd see if anyone on this forum has had the same or a similar experience.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:42 AM

Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by Bill0623
I've got a brand-new Grand Cherokee that my wife and I love (it's our first Jeep), but I just had the strangest problem with it. I rented a small U-Haul trailer, and when I was returning it, I started backing up (slowly thank God) and got a terrible grinding noise from the transmission. I stopped immediately, and tried it again, barely moving, and it did it again. As soon as I detached the trailer it stopped doing it.

The next day, we were towing a trailer-mounted generator and it did the same thing when backing up. I tried turning off the "park assist" backup sensor and even tried disconnecting the trailer wiring harness while it was still on the hitch and it STILL started to grind the gears.

This never happened before towing and so far hasn't happened when no trailer is attached. I'm completely baffled by this. I'll call the dealership we bought it from tomorrow, but thought I'd see if anyone on this forum has had the same or a similar experience.
Please keep us updated with what the dealer relays to you. If you need further assistance after speaking with dealer, don’t hesitate to reach out. – Kevin T, Social Connect Team
Old 07-25-2016, 08:48 AM

Year: 2016
Model: Grand Cherokee

I called the dealer this morning and they said they've never heard of this happening. Figures. Now I have to bring the vehicle in with a trailer attached for them to look at it.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:26 AM

Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by Bill0623
I called the dealer this morning and they said they've never heard of this happening. Figures. Now I have to bring the vehicle in with a trailer attached for them to look at it.
If they're unable to adequately diagnose, don't hesitate to DM me for further assistance. - Kevin T, Social Connect Team