Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Dana 30 front axle question

Old 01-24-2017, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '97
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Dana 30 front axle question

Hoy all, my '97 Limited had a failure of the front axle pinion bearing due to my failure of not checking the gear oil. It was one of the things I overlooked, when getting this Jeep back on the road, running reliably.
I removed the trashed pinion gear, and used a plumbers test plug to keep gear oil in. So its now a RWD ZJ, which is ok for now. But I would like to find another axle. I thought about replacing the ring and pinion, but there's also issues with striped bolt holes for the calipers.
I have found a list of axles, but not knowing Jeeps that well, I don't know what other models would have a axle I could swap in. I have found a few ZJ's getting parted out, but it will be a chance on if they are the right gear ratio. Having other options would be nice.
Also on this axle chart, for the front ZJ axles, it has in the Additional Info column list: w/o disconnect axle. Is there something special I should be aware of?
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:57 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

A front axle assembly from any ZJ up to 98 is a direct bolt-in. They only came with 2 different gear ratios, 3.55 for ones without trailer tow package, and 3.73 for tow package ones unless they've been changed by an owner. There's normally a metal tag under a cover bolt that tells you what it is, otherwise you have to count teeth. Jeeps never came with disconnect axles (unlocking hubs) so that's easy. Some have u-joint axles and some have CV axles.

You could rebuild your axle and change the steering knuckles to fix the stripped bolt problem. That requires separating the ball joints.

Some XJs had raised pinion diffs, but they'll still fit.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:02 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Since you are doing it I'd take the extra time and find a hp XJ front that is non vacuum disconect. All the mounts are the same and it will have stronger u joints (assuming you have cvs now), Just find one in the right gear ratio and it will bolt right in.

imo its worth it over the lp housing, and the u joints are stronger then cv shafts

Old 01-25-2017, 12:36 PM

Year: '97
Engine: 4.0 L

Thanks for the replies and explanations! I thought about rebuilding the current axle, but for the price of parts, sweat and aggravation I'd rather swap in another axle. My ZJ Limited did come with the tow package, and knew it had the 3.73 ratio thanks to the chart. But I didn't know what determined the ratio and what the disconnect feature was. Since my ZJ is a winter beater, I don't need to spend a lot to keep it in running order. And there's other issues with it that need attention. Plus, with all my other toys... you get the picture. :-) Again, thanks!