Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

A/C clutch removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 L
Default A/C clutch removal

My 96 ZJ w/5.2 is screaming at me. I believe it is the A/C clutch. It changes pitch when the compressor kicks in. It has gotten worse since I replaced the belt and tensioner. I assume this is probably due to more pressure from the belt and tensioner? The previous owner said the compressor was replaced last summer (looks fairly new). Is it possible to change out the clutch without replacing the comppressor.

It's getting quite loud and embarrassing.

I did do a search on here but did not find an answer. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You can replace the clutch without replacing the compressor, but the clutch costs almost as much as a compressor. It's pretty simple to replace the clutch, just remove the nut in the center and pull the clutch off, then there are a few snap rings that hold the rest of it on. Make sure to shim the new one correctly, a shim kit and instructions should come with the new clutch assembly.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Take your belt off and spin all the pulleys and check for play. Kind of odd if the clutch went out that soon. Check for play in ALL pulleys and see if you can hear the noise if you spin the pulleys by hand. Could be the water pump, alt. or a number of other things.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

True, it could be an idler or tensioner pulley with a bad bearing making the noise.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:18 PM

Yes, it could be the idler pulley. Deffinately the clutch or idler, coming from one of the two. I think I need to do as suggested and pull the belt and see how they sound and feel. Will be doing front wheel hubs so maybe I can tackle this too.

Thanks all for the advice.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2L MPI V8 (318)

If it turns out to be the A/C clutch/compressor assembly that's making the noise and if you're not too partial to your A/C you can buy a compressor bypass pulley that replaces the compressor for like 35 dollars.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

if it was the compressor clutch, shouldn't it stop squealing when the compressor engages, since it's now locked and spinning the compressor ?

Last edited by PatriotGT; 08-31-2012 at 07:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-29-2012, 06:51 AM

Good question, I am not sure. It does change the pitch or tone, when the compressor clutch engages/disengages. But it does not stop. Maybe an idication that it's the idler. The idler looks like a fairly easy change out, that would work for me!
Old 09-10-2014, 07:49 PM

Default how did it go

Originally Posted by controltech
Good question, I am not sure. It does change the pitch or tone, when the compressor clutch engages/disengages. But it does not stop. Maybe an idication that it's the idler. The idler looks like a fairly easy change out, that would work for me!
Was wondering if you solved your problem? I am having a similar issue myself.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:44 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I bought an idler from the JY for my '97 ZJ. It was $3.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:08 AM

Default Further clutch questions, same issue

1999 Jeep Cherokee, six cylinder...loud squealing when A/C turned on, immediately goes away when A/C turned back off. Play this dance back and forth for about five minutes of normal driving and the noise eventually goes away. I replaced the serpentine belt about a year ago, also did a check by applying belt dressing. Tension is correct. No change.

This problem has been going on for quite awhile, more than a few months. It is now to the point of serious annoyance.

I'm thinking the A/C clutch bearings are failing because I can manipulate the noise cycle by turning the A/C on or off. Clutch solenoid picks up normally, then noise begins as clutch engages. I figure the reason the noise eventually goes away is because the bearing gets warmed up...? I'm not really thinking it is the compressor itself, but have not ruled that out. My memory of such problems usually find a bad clutch bearing set.

Otherwise, A/C works fine, cycles normally and defrost/cool is correct temps.

I cannot locate just the clutch through any of my local vendors. Anyone got a lead on new A/C clutches?

What say you people?

Last edited by Rail66; 09-16-2014 at 01:12 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:53 PM

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

That's one reason why I rebuild my own (OEM) air conditioning compressors. I've had nothing but bad luck with so called "rebuilt" compressors.

Some fail catastrophically, but not usually w/o a lot of warning. If you catch them right away they seem to last forever internally and are easy to rebuild. Generally the only thing you need to do is install a new seal kit, change the front shaft seal and clutch bearing. Harbor Freight has A/C clutch tools.

I get my A/C parts from these guys:
http://www.centuryautoair.com/

You can probably get a new clutch from Rock Auto if they don't have them.

BTW, is your belt squealing? Check your tension ...and check the quality of the belt. They can get glazed and not grip very well, especially if it's been slipping for a while.

Last edited by Jeepwalker; 09-16-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:35 AM

[QUOTE=Rail66;2935108]1999 Jeep Cherokee, six cylinder...loud squealing when A/C turned on, immediately goes away when A/C turned back off. Play this dance back and forth for about five minutes of normal driving and the noise eventually goes away. I replaced the serpentine belt about a year ago, also did a check by applying belt dressing. Tension is correct. No change.

This problem has been going on for quite awhile, more than a few months. It is now to the point of serious annoyance.

I'm thinking the A/C clutch bearings are failing because I can manipulate the noise cycle by turning the A/C on or off. Clutch solenoid picks up normally, then noise begins as clutch engages. I figure the reason the noise eventually goes away is because the bearing gets warmed up...? I'm not really thinking it is the compressor itself, but have not ruled that out. My memory of such problems usually find a bad clutch bearing set.

Otherwise, A/C works fine, cycles normally and defrost/cool is correct temps.

I cannot locate just the clutch through any of my local vendors. Anyone got a lead on new A/C clutches?

What say you people?

I downloaded app from Napa and have found all that I need on it? Can order or put on hold from my phone.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:09 AM

Didn't see a clutch only on the Napa site. You got a P/N?
Old 09-20-2014, 06:27 PM

Default TEM 272351 clutch with coil, new

[QUOTE=Rail66;2937124]Didn't see a clutch only on the Napa site. You got a P/N?

TEM 272351 clutch w/ coil,new
Is what I found hope it helps?

Quick Reply: A/C clutch removal