Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Grand Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageVendor DirectoryvBLive TSB & Recalls
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 03-30-2011, 08:16 PM   #1

View mlyon83's Photo Album My Photos
1995 Grand Cherokee
Default Best antifreeze brand?

Which do you prefer as an engine coolant... does it matter?
The Law of Contracts, in its widest extent, may be regarded as including nearly all the law which regulates the relations of human life. Indeed, it may be looked upon as the basis of human society. All social life presumes it, and rests upon it; for out of contracts express or implied, declared or understood, grow all rights, all duties, all obligations, and all law. Almost the whole procedure of human life implies, or, rather, is, the continual fulfilment of contracts.
mlyon83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #2

View tinytrax78's Photo Album My Photos
1994 Cherokee

peak is my favorite
Old 03-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #3

View RaiderMike67's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

There is a waterless coolant that runs on no pressure in your system. I believe it's called Evans.
RaiderMike67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
CF Veteran

View Bustedback's Photo Album My Photos
1995 Grand Cherokee

What ever is on sale. If it gets down to 32 degrees in your area, run a 50/50 mix. If it never gets that cold, then you can run 70% water and 30% coolant. A 70/30 mix will transfer heat faster and let the engine run cooler.
Steering stabilizers will not cure or cause death wobble, they only mask the real problem that is causing death wobble. Oil pumps do not make pressure, they create flow. Bearing clearence and restrictions make pressure. It's the crank sensor.
Bustedback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:12 AM   #5

1995 Grand Cherokee

50/50 it is.
The Law of Contracts, in its widest extent, may be regarded as including nearly all the law which regulates the relations of human life. Indeed, it may be looked upon as the basis of human society. All social life presumes it, and rests upon it; for out of contracts express or implied, declared or understood, grow all rights, all duties, all obligations, and all law. Almost the whole procedure of human life implies, or, rather, is, the continual fulfilment of contracts.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:32 AM   #6

View motorking's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Cool antifreeze/coolant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyon83 View Post
Which do you prefer as an engine coolant... does it matter?
Hello, I am the technical manager at Prestone. It really does matter because all coolant is not created equal. Most of the lower priced coolant in the market is old technology "silicated" coolant. It works fine as long as you flush and refill every two years. The best technology and something that Jeep, Ford and many other automakers have adopted is called OAT or Organic Acid Technology. You will find this in prestone extended life coolant. All antifreeze coolant is 92-97% ethelyne glycol. It is the corrosion inhibitors that make the difference between the good stuff and not so good. Yes it does cost more than the old style coolant but reality is it costs less becuase it is good for 5 years or 150k miles, whichever comes first. If you send me an email to jay.buckley@honeywell.com, I can send you a pdf file that explains this in great detail. It is too big of a file to post here.
motorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
Just That Awesome

View nukinfuts29's Photo Album My Photos
1993 Grand Cherokee
Send a message via AIM to nukinfuts29

Whatever is on sale is right. Coolant is one of those things that if it is the right kind for you're car, brand and cost means nothing.
nukinfuts29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #8

1995 Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorking View Post
Hello, I am the technical manager at Prestone. It really does matter because all coolant is not created equal. Most of the lower priced coolant in the market is old technology "silicated" coolant. It works fine as long as you flush and refill every two years. The best technology and something that Jeep, Ford and many other automakers have adopted is called OAT or Organic Acid Technology. You will find this in prestone extended life coolant. All antifreeze coolant is 92-97% ethelyne glycol. It is the corrosion inhibitors that make the difference between the good stuff and not so good. Yes it does cost more than the old style coolant but reality is it costs less becuase it is good for 5 years or 150k miles, whichever comes first. If you send me an email to jay.buckley@honeywell.com, I can send you a pdf file that explains this in great detail. It is too big of a file to post here.
I ended up buying 50/50 Preston at Walmart.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:49 AM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Grand Cherokee Tech