Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Grand Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 06-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
Seasoned Member

View Quazzimoto's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default Battery died, jeep won't idle after jump?!

I have a 97 GC 4.0, auto,with 225k. I left the interior lights on last night. So I go to jump it this morning and it just turns over, if I bump the throttle it fires up and dies of I hold the throttle in any position it runs fine. I held it at about 2k for a minute or so and let off, low and behold it dies. No check engine light yet but I didn't get much time to look at it I had to go to work. Anyone have any similar past experiences or some insight it would be greatly appreciated.

Also my display panel tells me bad coolant sensor although I replaced it last week.
Quazzimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
Seasoned Member

View jronald's Photo Album My Photos
1993 Grand Cherokee

Not that unusual. Chrysler builds a pretty crappy charging system. If the battery gets too low, the things will not idle. Its also NOT a great idea to charge a dead battery with the alternator. Yes people have done it for years, but then smoking has been around awhile too. Either drive the thing to charge the battery, or take it off and run it down to the Autovancerielly store for a free quick charge.
Then see what it does.

"The alternator generates all the power needed to fully charge the battery IF the alternator does not overheat and fail. A dead battery will draw a very high load and stress the alternator to its maximum output limits and so I suggest you don’t run the headlights or other high amp accessories for at least the first 45-50 minutes of driving (charging). It will take (for example) a 70 amp alternator 0.85 hours (51 minutes) to fully charge a dead 60 amp hour range battery. I don’t know what your battery amp hour rating is or what the output amp rating of your alternator is but I assume your battery and alternator are suitably mated and so 45 to 50 minutes of driving/charging will not overload the alternator output capabilities as long as you do not add more stress on the alternator by running the headlights or other high amp accessories during that time."

Ron

Last edited by jronald; 06-10-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Cut and paste
jronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
Seasoned Member

View Quazzimoto's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

Cool thanks man. I have a battery charger so I'll charge it over night. Thanks again
Quazzimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
Seasoned Member

View biggoofy's Photo Album My Photos
Grand Cherokee

Your user name is gay!!

96 ZJ hp44 / 9" on 35s
90 XJ on 33s
biggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:52 PM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Grand Cherokee Tech