Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Anyone tried this Bosch fuel pump w/ the different looking strainer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I-6
Default Anyone tried this Bosch fuel pump w/ the different looking strainer?

RockAuto has this Bosch fuel pump,Part #69316. It has a different looking strainer than what the OEM pump pictures show.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...456&cc=1182226

Has anyone installed one of these? Successfully, I mean.

Last edited by Red River T; 10-20-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:03 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Okay, the first thing I'm going to tell you is these manufacturers don't always show a picture of each individual part. Sometimes they use one to show a line of products that are nearly alike. I've bought most of my parts from Rockauto and they're never sent me a wrong part. I have 16 refrigerator magnets on my toolbox. They send you one every time you buy from them.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I-6

Well, I got it and it looks just like the picture. The one in my GC looks like some of the other pictures with the black rubber piece on the bottom and the small rectangular strainer, which I see now is how the bottom of the pump is held in place because it only fits one way into the depression in the bottom of the "housing" or "module body" or whatever you want to call it.

My existing pump is a Bosch also and the pump bodies themselves look the same, but they have different 9-digit part numbers on them. I see how I could remove the strainer on the new pump I ordered and put the black rubber grommet on (a little push-on retaining cap is what holds it on) but since they are different part numbers, I'm scared to install the new one. I simply put on new strainers and re-used the old pump.

That was a pretty good pain in the neck if I have to turn around and do it again shortly. I haven't been to O'Reilly's yet to check the pressure, but it seems to run a little differently. It still has the occasional skip in the idle, but doesn't seem as severe or as frequent, but is still plainly noticeable. I noticed something new too, when going downhill thus off the gas a little (both ON & OFF cruise control) it feels like it's running rough, like there is an engine vibration from a dead cylinder. Maybe improved fuel flow causes it to run better most of the time so that the light throttle vibration is more noticeable now. It does seem like I don't feel the engine as much as previously.