Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Anti theft system issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Anti theft system issue

Hi everyone, i will try to make this a short story, when i got my 97 ZJ it came with no remote for the anti theft system so i got one and took it to a locksmith, who is a friend of mine, and he programmed all the stuff correctly, lights and horn flashed well when you armed the alarm system, but the problem began when door lock actuators went crazy, sometimes driver´s door and sometimes any other door didn´t lock or unlock, besides i lost my key with the programmed remote sooo i decided to "help" the actuators with an aftermarket ones (due to high cost of original parts) and get another remote. When i finally went to the locksmith again, he couldn´t program the bloody thing, then i remembered that i didn´t connect original harnesses to the actuators so i did and went to the locksmith again, this time he succeeded and all the doors lock and unlock with the remote BUT...now lights and horn wont flash when alarm is activated and we don´t have a clue about what else to do, any help will be really appreciated....CHEERS
Old 05-19-2016, 11:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Not sure about your 97 but mine with the 4.0 came factory with only the Lock and Unlock and Panic button on the key. So no flashing lights or horn honk when you arm it. That being said, a gremlin of the system for me was the little bitty switch on the back of the drivers and front passenger door lock cylinder. A dealer tech tipped me to that when I had the battery drain problem with mine, it wasn't letting the system arm and therefore go to sleep.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:16 PM

Yes, mine also has three buttons on the remote, thank´s for the advise and i will search for that switch, it´s important because i don´t know if system is armed or not and my zj sleeps on the street, thank´s again for your time and cheers!!
Old 05-20-2016, 07:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Originally Posted by maxxtreme
Yes, mine also has three buttons on the remote, thank´s for the advise and i will search for that switch, it´s important because i don´t know if system is armed or not and my zj sleeps on the street, thank´s again for your time and cheers!!
lol When I say go to sleep, I mean, if it thinks the lock is unlocked via the bad switch, it continues to draw like 80milliamps instead of the 14 it should, and the alarm won't set. Battery will die in a couple days parked. When all is well with the system it first draws higher, then successively lower current until it is 'asleep' at 14mA. Whole cycle takes like 90 seconds. When it is armed correctly the little red LED on the drivers side of the dash by the windshield will flash, first fast, then slower.
The sister problem to the front door switches (passenger too) is the tailgate glass switch. All tend to go bad. $14 @ rockauto or $2 at the junkyard, which is the way I fixed it.

Last edited by 97grand4.0; 05-20-2016 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:21 PM

ok, i will search for those switches, but in this case the tailgate and glass came sealed, you can´t open just the glass, anyway thank´s again a i´ll let you know when it finally got fixed, cheers!