Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Alarm problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Alarm problems

1996 grand Cherokee, factory alarm. Do not have door key or key less entry, both lost. Ignition was re keyed last dec. battery in hocked while working on another problem. Drove a couple of days, now the alarm system activated and it won't run. How can we by pass this system?
Old 08-21-2014, 12:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993 & 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

From what I have read on here for 96 to permanently disable,cut and ground out purple/yellow wire under driver side kick panel. There's other ways too but i think that's the easiest.

Max
Old 09-04-2014, 08:00 AM

I just tried that purple wire trick on my 95 Jeep ZJ GC. Clipped The wire and grounded it Still having same problem is it ??? one of my fuses and relays
Old 09-05-2014, 09:56 PM

95 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4 liter motor Vehicle set for 3 months without a battery in it Drop brand new battery into it try to start Auto Shutdown engaging Why is it my ignition switch I checked all my fuses and relays all are good all have voltage when they're supposed to. Can turn key all the way to spring load start position nothing happens I can hear Auto Shutdown relay clicking When installed battery alarm system was in retard mode Used key in door and cancelled the retard mode I'm completely lost I need help
Old 09-06-2014, 07:49 AM

Default Alarm

The purple/yellow wire trick is only to prevent the alarm from being activated. If its already enabled it will do nothing. If you lock the doors from the drivers side switch and use the key to open the rear hatch this will disable the alarm. If you don't have the key you can manipulate it into thinking you used the key by unlocking the rear hatch manually from the inside. Some alarms will disable by unlocking it once while others will need to be locked and unlocked a few times to get it to register. I had this same issue on my 93 and that's how we fixed it.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:24 AM

I can get the alarm system to Shut down by putting my key in the door and turning it I get in my jeep and put the key in the ignition I go to crank it over everything all lights up like it's supposed to I go to put on the spring would start in all I hear is the Auto Shutdown relay clicking on Or being grounded out I want to see how I can keep that circuit from activating Can I give it constant power do I manually ground that circuit out I can lock my door from the drivers control panel When I try to unlock them the switch does nothing I'm thinking the computer is not registering the unlocking Maybe one of my wires have shorted out in the door Still testing a couple theories thru window of my Jeep is knocked out and nearer lock cylinder is frozen Meaning I can't turn it with a key
Old 09-06-2014, 01:40 PM

Turn the key to the run position and jump the solenoid to get it to turn over. If it starts an runs it's not the security system. Let me know what happens when you try this.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:41 PM

I think my PCM is fried So this is what I did install battery plugged in Went to drivers seat put key in ignition tried to start vehicle. Nothing happened heard a few relays clicking. Single clicks every time I Turn key to attempt to start Engine does not turn over nothing happens don't even hear my fuel pump kicking on With key and on television I go to my relay box underneath the hood and I am NOT getting power to my ignition or other circuits ASD relay has power No other ones have power though
Old 09-06-2014, 11:00 PM

If The PCM on my 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Does not receive a signal for my crankshaft position sensor or my can shaft position sensor How about cause my engine to not turn over Checked all my Fuses and relays That I could possibly check.. I'm not sure if my PCM has failed or not though I don't know how to test it At the connector for my PCM With the ignition on Not on spring load Just on. I have power at 4 or 5 pins How many pins are supposed to have power
Old 09-07-2014, 03:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: V8

Ok you have gone from expensive, to more expensive.

Im a cheap tightwad bastard: Check the Battery, Check the connections, Check the starter. Dont assume squat. Just because it was good yesterday, does not make it good today.

Then go back to the alarm and ECM

Ron
Old 09-07-2014, 04:32 PM

Is there a way to test eletric part of ign switch or a way to be able to start my jeep
Old 09-27-2014, 08:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2

What I discovered is that it can also be tied to a problem with the dome lights...like a lot of cheap alarms, part of it is triggering according to the dome light being on/off.

I got a cheapo alarm of JC whitney years ago. Was going to put it on my 75 VW bug, but I couldn't because it worked with the dome light--which kept blowing a fuse for some reason. So I could never set it up...

Anyway sometimes my alarm would go off with the key unlocking the drivers door. Then I began to notice it would happen only when I opened the drivers door and the dome light did NOT come on. If i first key the rear hatch or the passenger side, and the dome light comes on (always does on those doors) the alarm won't go off.

I'm guessing there is some kind of switch in the drivers door that isn't working right. I've been too lazy and unwilling to deal with lost/broken clips to want to pull it apart and mess with it. I'm assuming I might be able to fix it by hitting all the parts/switches with some terminal cleaner, but so far keying the other doors hasn't bothered me enough to deal with it
Old 09-27-2014, 05:19 PM

I found out one of my relays wasn't going out like it was supposed to shutting my whole system off so I Rewired it correctly
Old 11-09-2014, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by MTJEEP14
95 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4 liter motor Vehicle set for 3 months without a battery in it Drop brand new battery into it try to start Auto Shutdown engaging Why is it my ignition switch I checked all my fuses and relays all are good all have voltage when they're supposed to. Can turn key all the way to spring load start position nothing happens I can hear Auto Shutdown relay clicking When installed battery alarm system was in retard mode Used key in door and cancelled the retard mode I'm completely lost I need help
Use your door key to lock then unlock the door. This turns off the engine disable function.