Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Airbag light..

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Airbag light..

Light came on yesterday ...is staying on not sure if there are any tricks in deciphering issue without going to the dealer. Please god not the dealer...should I be proactive and swap in a used clockspring first ?? Thanks all...
Old 11-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

is the air bag fuse still good. I ask because I was wondering if I took my fuse out if I could disable the air bag without codes. My GC is for off road use mostly and thought it would suck to trigger the thing.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:15 PM

Yes fuse #22 is fine - I took it out hoping that would make light go off - and my horn works ... does that indicate its NOT a clock spring ? Along with the airbag I have a CEL also many more issues its gonna look like a christmas tree laying down..
Old 11-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2

No idea from me about clock springs. Some of this stuff make me wish I would have found a GC with no options at all. I know you can't get away from air bags but.... I have not had any cel but I have some issues with electric windows. Hope your problem is a easy fix.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:38 PM

yeah I hear you I bought this jeep only 10 days ago and yes it has 186K but the body and underneath are immaculate, I swear these lights and sensors are more annoying than a blown up transmission. I'd almost perfer the ladder. There is not much info on the net re: airbagtroubleshooting - I have never had to use a stealership for anything.. but I'm running out of ideas and options. CEL = cash eating light.....
Old 11-24-2008, 05:05 AM

Default airbag light

My airbag light came on i changed fuses in f32 and f33 (both in a yellow block) http://www.wjjeeps.com/misc/jblock_main.jpg

and it worked

Hope this helps
Rob C
Old 11-24-2008, 10:44 AM

Default interesting THANKS

yellow block is under hood ? not passenger Fuse box area.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by 98JGC
yellow block is under hood ? not passenger Fuse box area.
Hi,
on my 02 grand cherokee it is 2 10 amp fuses slotted into a yellow block,
Then the yellow block slots into the bottom right corner of the fuse box.
My Fuse box is on the right hand side of the jeep just under the steering wheel.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rob C
Hi,
on my 02 grand cherokee it is 2 10 amp fuses slotted into a yellow block,
Then the yellow block slots into the bottom right corner of the fuse box.
My Fuse box is on the right hand side of the jeep just under the steering wheel.
I have found fuse #22 previously, upon further inspection #4 is also defined as airbag both are good. The junction block is under the hood near pass fender. No fuses or relays are defined as components of Airbag.. so I'm still lost. Guess 98's are under the hood and the fuses are contained in the passenger kick panel area. I pulled all fuses in junction box all OK.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:37 PM

Not to hijack this post but........ On my 03 the air bag light came on last week stayed on for a few mins and then went off ; then I later started up and it came on and and dinged again and shortly after (like 5 mins) went off and stayed off so then again today after driving for about 20 mins of my 25 min trip home from work it came on again .

Any Ideas ?
Old 03-22-2011, 08:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Any good auto repair shop (not Sears or PepBoys) can diagnose the airbag light and repair it without throwing used junk parts at it.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by Spartan BA14
Not to hijack this post but........ On my 03 the air bag light came on last week stayed on for a few mins and then went off ; then I later started up and it came on and and dinged again and shortly after (like 5 mins) went off and stayed off so then again today after driving for about 20 mins of my 25 min trip home from work it came on again .

Any Ideas ?
Welcome to CF.
Here's the fuse box diagram for the WJ's. There's 2 fuses for the Airbags: F32, & F33, both 10 Amp red fuses. Scroll down.>http://www.wjjeeps.com/fuses.htm
And here's a diagram showing the WJ's various control modules, including the Airbag Module. The connector could be loose/damaged. Click on the pics to enlarge it.> http://www.wjjeeps.com/modules.htm
Hope this helps.

Last edited by ol"blue; 10-12-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:59 PM

Thanks Dan I will try to run that down ....
Old 11-15-2011, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Spartan BA14
Not to hijack this post but........ On my 03 the air bag light came on last week stayed on for a few mins and then went off ; then I later started up and it came on and and dinged again and shortly after (like 5 mins) went off and stayed off so then again today after driving for about 20 mins of my 25 min trip home from work it came on again . Any Ideas ?
I know this is an old post, but just curious on the intermittent issues with the air bag sensor light and alarm... I have an '03 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and for months now my turn signals have been flaking out and occasionally my air bag sensor light will chime on and the steering wheel stereo controls were doing odd things (or not working at all). Everything pointed to clock spring and was having some work done today so got the shop to swap out the clock spring and the flasher unit (not easy to get to).

Flashers work great, stereo controls work great BUT 5 minutes from the shop <<DING>> my air bag light comes on, stays on for a few minutes, turns off, a few minutes later <<DING>> back on and then stayed on the rest of the ride. Grrrrreat.

Any way that this could register in the error codes? What would be the next step to look at? I can see a fuse or connection making the light stay ON, but when it's intermittent (some days for days it never comes on, some days it comes on all the time) where do you look? The clock spring sounded like the culprit but it's obviously not the air bag light originator.

Any help??
Old 09-01-2012, 10:49 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 98 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by infiniteMPGH
I know this is an old post, but just curious on the intermittent issues with the air bag sensor light and alarm... I have an '03 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and for months now my turn signals have been flaking out and occasionally my air bag sensor light will chime on and the steering wheel stereo controls were doing odd things (or not working at all). Everything pointed to clock spring and was having some work done today so got the shop to swap out the clock spring and the flasher unit (not easy to get to).

Flashers work great, stereo controls work great BUT 5 minutes from the shop <<DING>> my air bag light comes on, stays on for a few minutes, turns off, a few minutes later <<DING>> back on and then stayed on the rest of the ride. Grrrrreat.

Any way that this could register in the error codes? What would be the next step to look at? I can see a fuse or connection making the light stay ON, but when it's intermittent (some days for days it never comes on, some days it comes on all the time) where do you look? The clock spring sounded like the culprit but it's obviously not the air bag light originator.

Any help??
i got the same issues with the airbag light and the stereo controls on the steering wheel acting up and not pressing right...but not caring about it too much right now because i just pulled apart the rear brakes and ceramic on the the caliper exploded

Quick Reply: Airbag light..