Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

ABS and 8.8 swap.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2
Default ABS and 8.8 swap.

First, I know that there is a lot of pro-con arguments around ABS on ZJ's. But my wife will be driving the vehicle from time to time especially in bad weather. I would like ABS working for when she is behind the wheel, and if I get into some real off-roading, I will probably pull the fuses for the ABS.

I did an 8.8 swap on a jeep that I just bought. I had the axle built, and did not have the option to request that the tone ring have every other tooth ground off. Now I dont want to try and grind them off because that will require taking the whole thing apart. Not that it is a huge deal, but I just want to know if there are other options.

Is there an electrical counter that would half the signal? I could probably design and make one that replaces the ford abs sensor, but I do not want to re-invent the wheel if there is a signal modifier out that that would turn 2 pulses into 1.

Also if I end up building one, does anyone have any info on the sensor signal input that the jeep is looking for? I would probably just use an Arduino and do positive edge triggered flip flop, but the output voltage is limited to 5V, and I would assume that the ABS signal is 12V? I suppose I could just add an inline amplifier for the signal after the controller to bring it back up to 12V if that is what it needs.

Here are some pics of my axle swap from last weekend!

Old 09-28-2016, 07:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

First off, I applaud you for putting a real axle under your ZJ. You say you don't want to reinvent the wheel. The best, most simple option, would be to open up the diff cover & grind off every other tooth. It will only cost you some time, gear oil & a grinding wheel or two.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by Big David
First off, I applaud you for putting a real axle under your ZJ. You say you don't want to reinvent the wheel. The best, most simple option, would be to open up the diff cover & grind off every other tooth. It will only cost you some time, gear oil & a grinding wheel or two.
My main concern is going to be grinding the tone ring straight without jumping around and making a hack job of it. I cant think of a way to position or stabilize my angle grinder to prevent it from hopping around, and the teeth are pretty close together from what I can see through the sensor hole.