Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

96 ZJ shaking and jerking.... :o( No clue where to start!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 96 ZJ shaking and jerking.... :o( No clue where to start!

96 Grand Cherokee, 4.0. Automatic Got this a week ago, drove it daily, no problems at all until last evening. On the last 4 miles home the motor & whatever underneath starts shaking like it was going to fall out. Pulled over to the side of the road to let it cool off, (though it wasn't overheating) even reset the computer. Same crap, pretty much did the creepy crawlie thing all the way home. If I gave it gas it would bog down and jerk,so if I barely tapped the gas a lil bit at a time it would still move... there was bunch of clicking under the dash by the steering column. I couldn't go over 25-30 and it shook hard all the way back home. I have no clue what to look for, it does this in park, neutral and forward gears in reverse its not as loud. It shifts fine. I got this to replace my other jeep which is sitting in the yard over there, still with its attitude problem 92/xj (same motor but an HO) won't start unless the sun hits a certain part of the motor...."It's a Jeep thing?...no more like a bad joke. Help Please!
Old 11-06-2010, 12:21 PM

Year: 2001 & 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3960

Hi Buddy, first thing to find out is if it's the engine or the tranny. Snick it in N and rev away. Sounds like engine related to me but I could be wrong. If she revs clean then it's somewhere in the drive train BUT if it revs like a dog then it will be engine related. Don't get too down at engine related as that's all the standard stuff first. plugs, leads, relays, coil. Then move onto checking the injection side - fuel delivery and pressure, check all that kindo of stuff if it misfires, if not then trannies are a bit advanced for me. I spent 3 days looking for an on off misfire on a opel frontera - you may call them isuzu mu in the states, turned out it was a crack in the coil pack on no.3 cylinder that went bad every now and again. If it does it all the time it's easier to spot. I used to get a bogging and misfire every now and again on the V8 discovery - it used to pop a plug lead every so often (new leads and a different one everytime). The plug lead would be on but had just slipped off the plug top.
Hope it's some help
Paul
Old 11-07-2010, 08:48 PM

Model: Cherokee
Unhappy

It starts up just fine, shifts gears and even goes into 4 low and back to all time 4. The shaking is coming from around the trans/bellhousing and making everything else shake really bad. Could this be torque converter or flywheel? or maybe trans mount, if you push on the trans it seems to quiet it some... Some or any kind of input would be really nice & appreciated at this point...
Old 11-07-2010, 10:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Could be a broken flex plate, hard to tell over the interwebs.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Just That Awesome

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

You didn't tell us if it shakes when u rev it in park or neutral. Sounds like a vaccum line tbh
Old 11-09-2010, 11:06 AM

Year: 2001 & 1999
Engine: 3960

The opel with the cylinder dropping on the coil started fine and everything, but the vac pipe does sound good with the symptoms. As mentioned hard to tell without seeing or hearing it.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:08 PM

Year: 2002
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Could be a broken flex plate, hard to tell over the interwebs.

+1 Something very similar happened to a friend of mine. Replace the front pump seal while you're there.