Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

96 Grand Cherokee wont start or run when jumped

Old 12-27-2009, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 96 Grand Cherokee wont start or run when jumped

Bought a 96 for my daughters 1st vehicle a few months back and up until now it's been great. The vehicle sat for about the past week then when she tried to start it needed a jump. That was expected due to the cold weather we have had. The next day she had no lights or power from the electrical system. Tried to jump it again, it started but would not idle when my foot was taken off the gas. I left it on for a good 3 or 4 minutes and it was fine. I drove it around, shut it off, back on and she drove it for a few days with no problems. Now it sat the past 2 days and we are right back to no lights or power.

It's a new battery and when put on the charger, the needle doesnt even budge. So I'm eliminating that from the list of possibilities.

Any ideas what is wrong?
Old 12-30-2009, 08:29 AM

Model: Cherokee

When your Battery completly dies it erases the memory from the ecm. just like you said you keep your foot on the gas for a few mins and it will be fine. Once you drive it around it will reprogram itself. Thats pretty normal. as far as it happing without a dead battery is wired. I would have to guess a power problem to the ecm. check the accesory wire of the battery termanials
Old 12-30-2009, 01:16 PM

Year: 97
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

i had an 01 maxima with the same sypmtoms and one day i was drivin and all my lights went off yet i could drive it. so i checked my alternator and it was goin bad so i put a new one on and it was fine. sometimes if u take off the positive side battery cable while it is running and if it dies its ur alternator.. hope that helps sorry if it doesnt