Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Grand Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
submit to reddit
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2008, 12:20 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4

View wlksquiet's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default 96 Grand Cherokee Limited Alarm System

Just became a Grand Cherokee owner. The 96 I got has several more goodies than my 94 Laredo. Someone locked the doors yesterday, without me knowing about it. When I first tried the door I noticed a small red light blinking. After seeing the door was looked, I used the key unlocked the door, and that's when the alarm went off. Two important things here, The key I got with the vehicle doesn't isn't a remote for anything. Nor did I get an owner's manual, and I'm waiting for it to get in. I looked EVERYWHERE trying to find a switch to shut the alarm off, and I'm guessing now, there isn't one. It was doing the horn, flashing headlights, and whole bit. I guess I touched something at some point, and I'm guessing it was the door lock switch on there door. Not sure if that's what did it or not, but the horn stopped, the headlights stopped flashing though. The little red light kept flashing, three times, pause then three times, and the rear hazard lights kept flashing. I tried to start it, and it would start and run about two seconds, and shut off. Would not stay running at all. Then I don't know what I touched or did, it may have been the act of trying to start it, but the whole alarm system kicked back on. The horn blaring, headlights flashing. Finally ended up just disconnecting the cable.
So, I can't get it to run, and the alarm still comes as soon as the cable is reconnected. Still a few days before my manual gets in. So, is there someway to reset the alarm, without the remote? Hopefully turn it off so I can at least drive it?
Would appreciate ANY help or advice.

Robert
wlksquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:26 AM   #2
CF Veteran
 
nick_n_ii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Muskegon, Michigan
Posts: 5,890

View nick_n_ii's Photo Album My Photos
1997 Cherokee
Send a message via Yahoo to nick_n_ii
Default

Very easy to fix, put the key in the drivers door, turn it to lock and unlock about 3-5 times, that will reset it. Thats how the ZJ alarms work..
__________________
Brian Perrine RIP, may you wheel on in the big offroad park in the sky. You will be missed.
nick_n_ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
Seasoned Member
 
tsconver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 339

View tsconver's Photo Album My Photos
2003 Grand Cherokee
Default

you should also get a remote key fob from ebay and have it programmed as well. THis will disarm the alram when you get in each time.
__________________
Walk softly and carry a big stick.

2003 GC 4.0L Laredo
63mm TB, FIPK, SS Exhaust, 3" IRO, Discos, Kor Sliders, Addco, MX6s
Trans Filter, Cooler
PFC Pads, Slotted and Drilled, SS Brake Lines
Pioneer AVIC-F900BT, Alpine Amp, Type S, Infinity Tweeters and Basslink
ARB Bumper, Milemarker Winch, Viper Equipped

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/
tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
Member
 
Orangeamc13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Springfield, MA - U.S.A.
Posts: 119

View Orangeamc13's Photo Album My Photos
99 Cherokee
Send a message via AIM to Orangeamc13 Send a message via Yahoo to Orangeamc13
Default

Without the fob, the alarm is set by locking the doors while one is open. If you turn the key to the unlock position twice it disarms.
__________________
83 CJ7 4.2, 88 XJ 4.0, 94 ZJ 5.2, 99 XJ 4.0
Orangeamc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:10 PM   #5
Do you hear banjos?
 
COSXJFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9,636

View COSXJFAN's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeamc13 View Post
Without the fob, the alarm is set by locking the doors while one is open. If you turn the key to the unlock position twice it disarms.
X2!! The same thing will happen if you disconnect the battery, just so you know!!
__________________

STEELER FAN TIL DEATH!!!
BAN OWNERS, NOT BREEDS!!!
AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIERS ARE GREAT PETS!!!

Miguel, fetch my cigarettes!!
COSXJFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:51 AM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4

View wlksquiet's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default

Hey, I appreciate the info about the alarm. I did as you suggested, used the key and that did the trick. I found a site that carries the remotes for it for something like $30.00. I figure that's gonna be the way to go.

I got this 96 as something to fix up, and I believe it's gonna be a great project. I have to replace the LH front fender, LH side mirror, headlight set. On Ebay these parts are really reasonable, so getting it on the road shouldn't be a too much pf a problem.

Robert
wlksquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:43 PM   #7
Newbie
 
BreezyGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6

View BreezyGC's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Grand Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlksquiet View Post
Just became a Grand Cherokee owner. The 96 I got has several more goodies than my 94 Laredo. Someone locked the doors yesterday, without me knowing about it. When I first tried the door I noticed a small red light blinking. After seeing the door was looked, I used the key unlocked the door, and that's when the alarm went off. Two important things here, The key I got with the vehicle doesn't isn't a remote for anything. Nor did I get an owner's manual, and I'm waiting for it to get in. I looked EVERYWHERE trying to find a switch to shut the alarm off, and I'm guessing now, there isn't one. It was doing the horn, flashing headlights, and whole bit. I guess I touched something at some point, and I'm guessing it was the door lock switch on there door. Not sure if that's what did it or not, but the horn stopped, the headlights stopped flashing though. The little red light kept flashing, three times, pause then three times, and the rear hazard lights kept flashing. I tried to start it, and it would start and run about two seconds, and shut off. Would not stay running at all. Then I don't know what I touched or did, it may have been the act of trying to start it, but the whole alarm system kicked back on. The horn blaring, headlights flashing. Finally ended up just disconnecting the cable.
So, I can't get it to run, and the alarm still comes as soon as the cable is reconnected. Still a few days before my manual gets in. So, is there someway to reset the alarm, without the remote? Hopefully turn it off so I can at least drive it?
Would appreciate ANY help or advice.

Robert


i'll sell you a keyfob for 20 bucks. i have 3 of them lol
BreezyGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:14 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
CRoading's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 785

View CRoading's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyGC View Post
i'll sell you a keyfob for 20 bucks. i have 3 of them lol
Oh well, $20 is a pretty reasonable price...
__________________
CRoading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3

View moldeck's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default

Old thread, driver side door did not work, had to unlock the passenger side door with the key to get alarm to reset.
moldeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:40 PM
 
 
 
submit to reddit
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front Door Speakers on 99 Grand Cherokee Limited gmustudent Grand Cherokee Tech 4 08-27-2009 01:55 AM
weres the alarm system wicked_xj OEM Cherokee Tech 0 09-30-2008 06:27 PM
93 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition- Won't start Dragonspank Grand Cherokee Tech 1 03-23-2008 07:09 PM
For slae 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited V8 big540chevelle For sale 0 11-03-2007 07:57 PM

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Grand Cherokee Tech



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 PM.


This site is in no way affiliated with Jeep or Chrysler.

Emails Backup