Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

94 jeep wont charge please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 94 jeep wont charge please help!

So, i've been having trouble with my 94 Grand cherokee lately. If it isnt one thing its the next, and now, it's my electircal system. A few weeks ago, my jeep completely died on me from work. Lights started dimming, started making weird sounds, my check engine light was on, everthing was shutting down. I managed to get it home, charged the battery, and it worked...sort of. The battery woudnt hold a charge for more than a few minutes. So, i bought a brand new alterantor and battery, and installed both of them.

Low and behold, my NEW alterantor and NEW battery arent communicating to each other. i checked my voltage and i'm still only at around 11.8 volts in power.

I love my Jeep more than anything, but she's really starting to frustrate me.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

First off, I have seen bad alternators. See if you are getting more voltage right at the positive side of alternator. Not battery, check alternator, with the vehical running. If you are getting 14 volts or so at alternator, then it is wiring from there to batt. If you ARE not getting that at the alt, then it is a bad reman alt., Have seen them lots of times, or a pcm, thats where the voltage regulator is.