Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

4 inch lift question on a ZJ

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 inch lift question on a ZJ

Have a ZJ I am planing on putting a 4 inch lift on this fall. My question is I see a lift kit that come with everything (shacks, springs, control arms) do I need anything else like drop my rear end. Someone told me anything bigger then 4 inches I'd need to drop my pumpkin down to reach.

Or could someone give me a list of what I'd need to lift it 4 inchs?..
Thanks!!!!
"it's a Jeep thing" :-)
Old 10-23-2011, 07:30 PM

The lift I'm looking at is " rusty's off road 3inch basic lift kit.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:03 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

They are talking about dropping your t-case not rear. Haven't looked at Rusty's kit but plan on addressing both front and rear track bars to center your axles. When I did mine I didn't drop the case and it worked fine, same for my brothers. If your front drive shaft has a cv at the axle instead of a u-joint it will need to be converted otherwise it will fail on you. If it's AWD you will have issues with a t-case drop like front drive shaft bind and vibrations so avoid them.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:28 PM

I'm 99% sure I have cv joints. what's the diff with cv joints and u-joint? Any why would it give me troubles?
I just replaced my two front axles last fall. ( the cv joints were clicking while turning.)
And
The tack bar, is that the long bar up front that connects to the tie rods?..
And
My ZJ is AWD Hi/ Low
Is that going to be a problem if I lift it 4"?
Thank for everyone's help on this!!
Old 10-23-2011, 11:32 PM

Ohhhh oups "drive shaft"... Yeah I'd have to take a look, but I think it's a U- joint at the end. I didn't know they put cv joints on drive shafts....
Old 10-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: i6

Originally Posted by krypto384
Have a ZJ I am planing on putting a 4 inch lift on this fall. My question is I see a lift kit that come with everything (shacks, springs, control arms) do I need anything else like drop my rear end. Someone told me anything bigger then 4 inches I'd need to drop my pumpkin down to reach.

Or could someone give me a list of what I'd need to lift it 4 inchs?..
Thanks!!!!
"it's a Jeep thing" :-)
I did a front to rear swap on mine. Which means, I took the front springs and put them in the rear (with the stock spring isolators) and bought new 4.5" springs for the front and new shocks all around. I only have about 500 in the lift. I kept the stock control arms and ditched the sway bars. (stickily and off road Jeep) My old Jeep had a 3" lift and new control arms all around.
And the track bar issue, when you lift the jeep the stock stock track bar will slightly shift your axle in the front i believe towards the passenger side and the rear towards the drives (I could have them backwards) You dont notice the axle being shifted till you go through light bud and you'll notice more mud on drives side then passenger and opposite in the back.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96 Limited ZJ
Engine: 5.2 w/mods

Well you stated you have the all time four wheel drive tcase (np249). I will tell you from personal experience if you are going to do any type of wheeling your going to break the front driveshaft. You have the Rzeppa style front drive shaft which means it is the double cardon on one end and the infamous "cv" front. These are not made to be at extreme angles and break really easy!! You can do a swap to the u joint style.

What size tires do you plan on running?
Old 10-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: i6

Originally Posted by country_boy454
Well you stated you have the all time four wheel drive tcase (np249). I will tell you from personal experience if you are going to do any type of wheeling your going to break the front driveshaft. You have the Rzeppa style front drive shaft which means it is the double cardon on one end and the infamous "cv" front. These are not made to be at extreme angles and break really easy!! You can do a swap to the u joint style.

I have all time four wheel drive and I've never had any problems off roading mine and thats all its used for. I believe I have u-bolts on the drive shaft
Old 10-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 5.2 V8

well, i have about 4"s of lift with the alltime 4x4 and the CV driveshaft and mine works great, ive been wheeling it/ daily driving it for 2 years now and no problems
Old 10-24-2011, 10:09 PM

See now I don't know what I should do.
It's a 95 AWD with the front cv drive shaft ( I looked at it today) it has 250,000 miles!! I took it light wheeling last weekend and now when I drive it has a hard time shifting, and then agin it shifts fine 1/2 the time.
I want a 4" lift with 31's

I paid $900 for the jeep last year, then last fall I replaced (upper/ lower ball joint, new front axles, 2 new front hub asembaley, sway bar links and steering stabilizer.. And a few other parts + parts under the hood

Now idk of I should sell it and get a ZJ with less miles, and start my build on that or if I should keep what I got.
Idk idk idk!!!!!!!!
What would you (anyone) do???
Old 10-24-2011, 10:17 PM

One more question about have the AWD
If I'm wheeling and my front end gos out, that would mean I'm stuck right? Were as if I had the 4WD/2WD I could just put in back in 2WD and go right. Or am I wrong about that??
Thanks everyone for all your input as I'm new the the jeep world but here to stay!! Jut need to be pointed the right way.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 5.2 V8
Default No Issues

I'v got a total of 4.5 of lift for the past four years ,d/d for two ,now i beat the hell out of it .only thing done is shocks,lower control arms and stabalizer brace
Old 02-03-2015, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by country_boy454

I have the same transfer case do you know what vehicle I can get a front drive shaft from that would be a direct swap?
Old 02-03-2015, 02:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You do realize this thread is three and a half years old.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:30 PM

Yeah I realize...

Last edited by CamoX413; 02-03-2015 at 03:37 PM.

Quick Reply: 4 inch lift question on a ZJ