Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

4.0 to 5.9 engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L
Default 4.0 to 5.9 engine swap

Hey! I'm new here. New to Jeeps but not to Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep. I just picked up a '98 Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD and though the 4L runs great, has only 137k on it and everything seems tight, I would like to swap it out for the new performance built 5.9 and 46RE engine/trans from my '97 Dodge Dakota 4x4. The Dakota has an "unfindable" wiring short in the chassis harness that keeps it unsmoggable and therefore off the road. I was going to part out the truck but when I found this Jeep, I thought why not, if its not too difficult. The truck's 5.9L (well, 6.0 really. Its bored 40 over, among other mod's) dyno's at 407 hp at the flywheel with the present tune and the 46RE is built to take over 700 hp. I think the Jeep is going to be entertaining to say the least, if everything works out. What I am here for is to find out what I will or may need to complete the swap. Has anyone done it in a 2WD model? Is it adviseable to convert the 4x4 tranny to a 2WD tranny or just spring for a lesser but guaranteed fit 2WD 46RE? I have read some on this site and others about just adding the 2WD tailpiece and calling it a day. Is that true? I know about the motor mounts and possibly the radiator. Has someone done this and can provide a comprehensive list for the DYI'er? I'm cautiously excited/optimistic about this but not unrealistic. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:24 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

This sounds like a nice dream, but the reality is you're going to have an electronics nightmare. The transmission isn't just the tail piece, it's the output shaft as well. You'd be better off just pulling the chain on the t/case and using a jeep 4x4 driveshaft.

Then you'd be putting 400 hp into a POS rear end. The Dana 35 isn't the strongest kid on the block. The V8 jeeps have a D44a rear which is stronger, but you'd have to find one.

IMHO, you'd be better off just fixing the Dakota. The electronics will disintegrate your wallet. When you talk about smog, I'm assuming you're in CA, right?
Old 10-22-2014, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

I do live in California. I'm not sure what electronics you're referring to but the Dakota has been that nightmare already with over $7000 spent for "diagnostics" alone. The Dakota has an equally "weak" rear end with its stock 10 bolt Dana 30 which has held up fine during the 700 miles since the build but I was going to change that out if I were to keep the Dakota. So you're suggesting to keep the t case, pull the chain and get the jeep drive shaft? Hmm. I gotta think about that. Thanks for your reply, advise and ideas. I appreciate it.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:37 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The nightmare I'm referring to is switching from the 4.0 sensors and PCM to the 5.9 sensors and PCM. Maybe the stuff from your Dakota will work, but I doubt it.

Yes, the t/case is added weight, but it's easiest to leave it attached to avoid pulling the trans apart to change the output shaft. You'll have to lock the shift lever on the t/case in 2WD so it will stay there. You'll probably need the 4WD crossmember and trans mount as well. Mechanically, it should be simple, but getting it to pass CA emissions is the hard part.

Last edited by dave1123; 10-22-2014 at 12:49 PM.