Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2008 Laredo: Starting problems, but only after it's been driven for a while?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2008 Laredo: Starting problems, but only after it's been driven for a while?

Hey guys, been in a giant mental pretzel trying to figure out what's going on with my 08 Laredo.

In a nutshell, if I go to drive the Jeep a good while (good 15 to 30+ mins), if I let it sit (say to go into a store an pick something up) and come back to try and start it again, it will give me a mess of problems:
---- Other it weakly turns over like the battery is dead (got a brand new battery 1 year ago, light turn on no prob during this situation), I will get 0 turn over, or it might barely turn over and Im lucky that the turnover is JUST enough to get it on or it comes on, struggles, and then shuts off. The only cure is if I let it sit for a good hour, then start it again, turns on like there was never a problem in the first place. Its like the links in the starter may be overheated and preventing the charge to go through until cooled down?

I've had this problem for almost 2 years. Took it to two mechanics I know and they couldnt figure it out. One guy I talked to said it sounds like the solenoid, so I had the starter replaced over the summer. No problems for a good month, and then it came back. It's like its gotten worse, like now if I drive for 15 mins, I have to let it sit for like a half hour to cool down. Its starting to get annoying because I have to plan out my trips to make sure I do something for at least an hour before its safe to go start the jeep.

So I want to bring it to Jeep, but I am not exactly rolling in dough. My thing is, does anyone know if this could be related to a recall like the front control module? I mean I've had windshield wiper problems too like the speed of it staying the same regardless if I shift speeds of the wiper. I had the windshield wiper motor replaced, and then had some issues come back like a month later (over the summer). The windshield wipers have not given me noticeable issues recently, but I havent used them much either.

Any feedback appreciated!

Last edited by Arctic27; 05-20-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:23 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

It may have something to do with the electronic ignition switch... when they switched over from the old 2005-2007 mechanical key and ignition switch, the electronic ignition and "smart key" had issues... you might want to have the system checked out and make sure there's not a short in the ignition.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Going off the wiper speed point... b/c you replaced the motor and the problem came back:

Voltage Drop / Dirty Grounds?

http://en-us.fluke.com/community/flu...id=pH7EG_zeDdB

Wiggle all the wire bundles attached to the PCM/ECM while running... or while trying to start when it is cranking but not starting?

Any codes? Pull them the next time it dies...