Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited No Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2008
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L Flex Fuel
Default 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited No Start Problem

Just some quick history about the Jeep:

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
57000 Miles
4.7L Flex Fuel Engine
Remote Start and Anti-theft
Date Manufactured: 11/2007

Just bought the Jeep in September from a local dealership and absolutely have loved everything about it. Only received a standard 3000 mile/1 month warranty and opted out of the extended coverage. Now there seems to be an issue.

The Jeep will not start using the key or the remote start. I have both key fobs and no matter what I do, the engine will not turn over. The battery was tested and is pretty much brand new. When the key is turned to the start position you can hear the fuel pump prime and the relay turn off the accessories but it doesn't seem to engage the starter. All lights, horn and gauges work perfectly. Listening around the engine, I don't even hear the solenoid engage. The security light does not flash while trying to start the vehicle but the throttle light does come on for a couple seconds (not too sure if that is standard or not.) Just looking for any suggestions or anything to try. I am going to put it on a lift tomorrow and also hook it up to the OBDII Diagnostics to see if it is giving any errors but no check engine light was on at all.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:27 AM
CCM

Model: Cherokee
Default 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Start Issue As Well

08CherokeeLimited,

I too have the same situation with my 2008 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. Intermittant starts for the past three months.

In Ocotber, I took the Jeep to the dealer and they could not figure out the problem becasue it started everytime they tried. When I was on my way to pick it up, it did not tart on them. They repalced the WCM (Wireless Control Module) and it worked great until 12/23 when the Jeep did not start. I took it back to the jeep dealer, and again, they could not tell my why it locked-up becasue it was starting every time for them.

Here is some information I found on the internet: There is a TSB out there for this issue (TSB #08-007-08 REV A). No Engine Crank or Engine start due to lockup of the WCM/SKREEM. "This condition may be due to an electrostatic discharge (ESD) from the ignition key into the WCM, casuing the WCM to electronically lockup; May occur more frequently in dry/cold conditions"

My Concern, the Jeep dealer already repalced the WCM on my Jeep (about $200 - $71.00 for the WCM, $118.00 labor) and it still locked up. One quick solution is the remove the IOD Fuse (with the Jeep off and Key out of the ignition) for about 60 seconds and reinsert it then start. I tried this twice and it worked on the second try.

The other problem that was suggested to me by the service manager at the Jeep dealer, it could be the actual starter. With the WCM the starter does not sit and crank; you basically get one chance to start. If there is a bad tooth on the sarter, it will not attempt to start, nor would you hear a cranking or whining noise like we owuld with older cars. You may hear a click on the first attempt and then it is locked up.

I noticed that when it does not start on me, it ussually takes a full day for the car to reset and then it starts.

This is very frustrating and I am eager to hear what others may have to offer. PLEASE HELP.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:40 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by CCM
08CherokeeLimited,

I too have the same situation with my 2008 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. Intermittant starts for the past three months.

In Ocotber, I took the Jeep to the dealer and they could not figure out the problem becasue it started everytime they tried. When I was on my way to pick it up, it did not tart on them. They repalced the WCM (Wireless Control Module) and it worked great until 12/23 when the Jeep did not start. I took it back to the jeep dealer, and again, they could not tell my why it locked-up becasue it was starting every time for them.

Here is some information I found on the internet: There is a TSB out there for this issue (TSB #08-007-08 REV A). No Engine Crank or Engine start due to lockup of the WCM/SKREEM. "This condition may be due to an electrostatic discharge (ESD) from the ignition key into the WCM, casuing the WCM to electronically lockup; May occur more frequently in dry/cold conditions"

My Concern, the Jeep dealer already repalced the WCM on my Jeep (about $200 - $71.00 for the WCM, $118.00 labor) and it still locked up. One quick solution is the remove the IOD Fuse (with the Jeep off and Key out of the ignition) for about 60 seconds and reinsert it then start. I tried this twice and it worked on the second try.

The other problem that was suggested to me by the service manager at the Jeep dealer, it could be the actual starter. With the WCM the starter does not sit and crank; you basically get one chance to start. If there is a bad tooth on the sarter, it will not attempt to start, nor would you hear a cranking or whining noise like we owuld with older cars. You may hear a click on the first attempt and then it is locked up.

I noticed that when it does not start on me, it ussually takes a full day for the car to reset and then it starts.

This is very frustrating and I am eager to hear what others may have to offer. PLEASE HELP.
New for me to attempt much help but I can say they whole starter missing a tooth and not starting is crap... there is no sensor for the starter or flywheel teeth... if they were gone the starter would still kick and it just would not grab the flywheel... just like the older vehicles... its gotta be something computer wise or electrical I would think... to me it sounds like the computer is not reading the key chip which I'm sure these days it has... but I dunno... just trying to help the best I can... lol
Old 12-30-2010, 07:55 AM

Engine: 4.7L Flex Fuel

At this point, everything seems to be working fine on my Jeep now. I was able to find a starting system wiring diagram and work backwards from the starter. The issue appeared to be a slightly corroded wire on the solenoid (the yellow/grey wire coming off the starter motor relay in the power distribution center).

To test and see if that is your issue or possibly diagnose a starter problem, measure the current off of pole 87 on the relay at crank and you should get a positive 12v. I was lucky enough to have a SPST relay tester available but if you don't, just carefully wrap 18 guage wire around the 87 pole and reinsert the relay. Make sure that the wire isn't touching any other part of the relay. When you turn the key to start, you should have a +12v DC at that wire which means the computer is functioning properly. If you don't, recheck your connections and make sure you didn't hook it up to the remote start relay and try again. If still no juice, then it is all in the computer system (that relay is directly controlled by the PCM).

On a side note - I agree with the huntingman. If the starter doesn't turn - the computer shouldn't shut it down immediately. After a period of about 10 seconds when the crank sensor does not receive a positive crank signal, that's when it makes that call.

Message me if you would like a copy of the starting system wiring diagram.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:21 AM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

Also some electrical grease around any terminals including relays will help with the corrosion from coming back...
Old 12-31-2010, 10:22 AM
CCM

Thank you for your responses to my issue as well. My Jeep locked up on me again yestruday AM, took it to the dealer and it locked up on the dealer as well. They diagnosed the problem and it was the actual starter. I was incorrect with my earlier thought on what the dealer said about my starter. It was not a "tooth" on the fly wheel or starter, but something about a "amature in side the starter that goes bad.

We'll see. I just had it replaced and we'll see if that was the problem.

08JEEPCHerokee, Yes I would like a wire diagram. I will send you my e-mail

Also, can anyone please tell me "where" the starter is located? I tried to find it to see if I could jump it, but could not locate it. I want to check the wires around the sarter should it not start on me again.

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-18-2011, 05:35 AM

Engine: 3.0L Turbo Diesel
Default Jeep "no start" issue too

Hi all, sorry to hi-jack this thread but I am experiencing the same "no start" issues as many of those seen on this and other forums. Except, mine hasn't been giving any indications of a problem - just decided not to start last night.

I have a 2008 JGC Overland with the 3.0L diesel.

First thought was that it was the battery but it won't jump either. Just to be sure we hooked it to a charger overnight. It's now reading that the battery is fully charged but the Jeep still won't turn over - doesn't even crank.

So, after doing some research on these types of forums, it sounds like it's likely the starter itself or a corroded terminal at the solenoid. The problem is the location of the starter. I read online that you have to loosen the front driveshaft and move it back so you can get to the starter from underneath. My boyfriend is a gearhead on the side and can do just about anything with a little helpful info.

Anyone have any diagrams/instructions on actually finding and getting to the starter? I'm assuming the starter is in the same spot on the diesels as it is on the regular gas engines?

08CherokeeLimited - if you're still on this thread I would love to get a copy of that starter wiring diagram you were able to find. Also, on a side note - I noticed you're in Waynesboro, PA - my boyfriend is originally from Masontown - small world!
Old 09-18-2011, 05:41 AM

Engine: 3.0L Turbo Diesel

Also, if anyone knows how I can get my hands on a comprehensive repair manual for the 2008 diesel jeeps I'd be forever grateful! I love my jeep but I've had my share of issues with it since buying it in July 2009 and it only has 48K miles - seems like a repair manual is going to be needed!
Old 01-26-2012, 02:23 PM

Default Same problem

I am also having this problem and do not know much about vehicles. I bought my 2008 Grand Cherokee in May 2011 and first had the problem in September 2011. Since then my vehicle has been to the dealer 9 times. First the starter was replaced, then the wireless ignition module and lastly a shifter module but I am still having the problem. It is happening more frequently and the only change is the weather (I'm in MI and it's cold now). It rarely duplicates for the dealer. In fact they've only been able to witness it twice, and both times it started back up before they were able to diagnose it. Anyone have other suggestions?
Old 01-28-2012, 08:29 AM

2007 JGC Overland, 5.7L Hemi. Having the same problem. The problem is intermittent. I turn th eignition switch to start and all of th elights on the instrument panel light up as normal but the engine won't turn over. No clicking sound - nothing.

Started having this problem a few months ago. Whenever it happened I would jump start it. One day it happened and jump starting it didn't work. I pulled the starter and had it tested - it tested fine. The charging system tested good, but I decided to replace the battery anyway (it was nearing the end of its life anyway). After replacing the battery I didn't experience the problem again for a few months, until last night. Tried jump starting it but no luck. I put it on a battery charger overnight. This morning it wouldn't start. I placed the transmission in Neutral (it's designed to start in either park or neutral) and after holding the switch in start for a couple of seconds some of the instrument panel lights went out. I placed it back in Park and after holding the switch in start for a few seconds it started. I let it run for a while, shut it down, then started it and it started fine.

Not sure what the problem is, but I'm trying to figure it out. With what happened this morning, it's easy to point to the shifter module, but I'm having my doubts that that's the problem.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:34 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

I had the same problem with my 5.2L , intermitten starting or no start.. spent time at dealer and other repair shops and a lot of time tracing down the wiring and checking it out.. Took starter to Napa said starter was good,... I finally just replaced the starter and had the same problem then talked them into letting me exchange for another starter and no problems for several months... Starts everytime and better then it ever did.. Just my experience.. Several have had intermitten start/no start problems and a lot of the time it seems to be the starter even if it had been replaced only shortly before.. Just saying..
Old 01-29-2012, 01:26 PM

Worked on the Jeep today. Starter relay was throwing 12V to the starter but the starter wasn't turning. That ruled out everything except the wiring/connector going to the starter or the starter itself. I replaced the starter and it started up fine. Hopefully no more issues.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:15 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

Callea, how you liking the Hemi.. I want one so bad but could not fine one for a good price.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:42 PM

Likin' the Hemi alot. Nice dose of power whenever you need it. 90,000 miles and no issues with the engine so far (other than the starter, which I don't really consider part of the engine).
Old 02-14-2012, 08:52 PM

Still no starting problems since replacing the starter.

Quick Reply: 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited No Start Problem