Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2005 Grand Cherokee Laredo Lights Flickering

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2005 Grand Cherokee Laredo Lights Flickering

I am completely confused on this issue at hand. The problem started last week and was only occurring at seldom times. If your driving the jeep with the headlights on (keep in mind this jeep does not have daytime running lights nor does it have factory fog lights) the dashboard lights will flicker. I did not notice that the headlights were flickering either until I was driving it at night. It appears that it only does this on low beam and not the high but then again I have not been able to fully test the high beam out to see if the problem will reproduce itself.

I have posted a video on youtube showing the lights that flicker. The gauges remain the same and do not drop any. It is just the flickering of the lights internal and external. I have read that it is either the multi switch stalk or the ignition switch. Has anyone else had this problem.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Do you have auto headlamps, if so is the problem there in auto/man or both. It might help to know if the problem it there, less, or worse in the high beam selection. Also is it just the headlamps and guage cluster lamps, or is it the park lamps, or the other illumination lamps on the dash ( radio, HVAC, Shifter bezel etc...)

Last edited by jnicewan; 02-25-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by jnicewan
Do you have auto headlamps, if so is the problem there in auto/man or both. It might help to know if the problem it there, less, or worse in the high beam selection. Also is it just the headlamps and guage cluster lamps, or is it the park lamps, or the other illumination lamps on the dash ( radio, HVAC, Shifter bezel etc...)
No the Jeep does not have auto headlights. And the flickering does not bother the radio, (keep in mind this is not a factory radio in the jeep the factory radio was replaced a year ago with a JVC) the lights under the radio for the heat ac and esp flicker with the headlights and the lights on the dash.

as for the the shifter bezel to be honest i did not look if it flashes or not.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:00 PM

Year: 2002
Engine: 4.0L

I would check your electrical system, and all your wiring. Especially the main harness. Don't forget to check the stalk. You can also turn on your radio set it to AM then tune to a quiet area, and then listen. If you hear a burst of static when the lights flicker then you have something arcing. If you don't hear anything the possible problem will likely be electronic (failing component).

Other than the radio, has anything else been replaced/upgraded recently?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by KF2M
I would check your electrical system, and all your wiring. Especially the main harness. Don't forget to check the stalk. You can also turn on your radio set it to AM then tune to a quiet area, and then listen. If you hear a burst of static when the lights flicker then you have something arcing. If you don't hear anything the possible problem will likely be electronic (failing component).

Other than the radio, has anything else been replaced/upgraded recently?

No nothing else has been replaced. But the issue at hand is at the stalk the multi function switch. It has to be because the problem occurs when the headlights are turned on and when you use the turn signal. I am just going to have to purchase a new MF switch and see what happens and if that does not resolve the issue at hand then i am going to have to trace down the wiring.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:17 PM

Go ahead and try that part but first when you get the column trim/shrouds off try wiggling the connector and wiring and see if that gives you a result. This may not point to another problem but might help you verify whats going on.

On another note I have had a few other chrysler products give me headlamp problems, most of them had to do with headlamps inop on one or both sides though and all of those ended up being problems inside the fuse box under the hood. Its not just a fuse box on these, they call it the "Integrated Power Module" which also houses the "Front Control Module". These two modules contain fuses, relays and circuit boards to control and provide various electrical functions, including headlamps and illumination lamps. I verified these were bad by applying pressure to the module or the connector to temporarily fix the concern, I just hope this isnt your problem.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 PM

Go ahead and try that part but first when you get the column trim/shrouds off try wiggling the connector and wiring and see if that gives you a result. This may not point to another problem but might help you verify whats going on.

On another note I have had a few other chrysler products give me headlamp problems, most of them had to do with headlamps inop on one or both sides though and all of those ended up being problems inside the fuse box under the hood. Its not just a fuse box on these, they call it the "Integrated Power Module" which also houses the "Front Control Module". These two modules contain fuses, relays and circuit boards to control and provide various electrical functions, including headlamps and illumination lamps. I verified these were bad by applying pressure to the module or the connector to temporarily fix the concern, I just hope this isnt your problem.

I have tried to push and pull on the switch while it is intact but cannot get the problem to reproduce at this moment. if it was the FCM or the IPM would i not be getting the same problem when the headlights on bright.

On another note I have researched this for days. And seen hundreds of reports with the same problem even petitioning for service recalls on this issue. If i had to say 70% reported the issue solved with a MF Switch install. I hope this fixes my problem. But if this does not fix the problem and if it turns out to be what you said. What am I looking at as far as cost?
Old 03-02-2013, 01:54 PM

Update.... Purchased a new MF switch from orielly auto parts put the switch on. Process was d/c neg terminal took steering shroud off removed old mf switch put new one in screwed back on then screwed shroud back on making sure nothing was pinched. Hooked neg terminal back up.

And the HORN was going non stop not a beep here beep there but constant blowing.... Took terminal off horn stopped put back on horn started I tried putting key in door and turn left and right to reset system but it was not the alarm I had to pull the horn relay under hood to fix problem. So now headlights work but I can't put the horn relay back in because horn will not stop.

Any ideas
Old 03-02-2013, 11:29 PM

You must have pinched a wire or ran a screw or something through the horn wire. I cant think of anything else it could be.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:28 PM

I will take shroud off tomorrow if by chance I ran a screw thru wire how do I fix that issue.. Will it require new wiring?
Old 03-03-2013, 02:22 PM

You must have pinched a wire or ran a screw or something through the horn wire. I cant think of anything else it could be.
Ok took the shroud off today but broke the clips on it now I have to find another shroud for this vehicle nothing was pinched or anything... Do you know where I can find another shroud online I have looked all morning and can't find a place.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by MSniper
Ok took the shroud off today but broke the clips on it now I have to find another shroud for this vehicle nothing was pinched or anything... Do you know where I can find another shroud online I have looked all morning and can't find a place.
I dont know, you would probably only find them from a dealer online or local, I would bet the easiest and cheapest place might be a salvage yard. Other than that you could deal with a broken clip or add a little epoxy or something.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:34 AM

Year: 2005
Engine: 3.0CRD

Hey there, sorry to but in... I just bought this 2005 Grand cherokee and in 24hours I am experiencing the exact same problem as Msniper... the parking lights are gone totally, central console lights gone, still have the flickering interior and exterior lights. Msniper how did you fix definitively the problem?
Old 02-25-2015, 12:30 PM

Engine: v8
Default Dash Lights Flickering!

I'm having a similar issue. Bought my 2005 Grand Cherokee Laredo in October 2014 with about 90K miles.

1) Noticed soon after purchase that the dash lights and radio would flicker randomly as I was driving. Didn't think much of it.

2) Then noticed both while parked and driving, sometimes my headlights would flash on and off for no reason (when set to Auto). Again, didn't think much of it because it was infrequent.

3) Driving to work several weeks ago, suddenly all of my dash lights came on at the same time, then they all went out. Did this several times in a few minutes, hasn't happened again since.

4) This morning, driving to work with the heat on high when suddenly it stops blowing and the check engine and traction control lights pop on. Heat is working again but the check engine light remains.

Been talking to my Jeep guy and he says it's all most likely related to a faulty ignition switch. I know there is an open recall on them as of September but as of last week the dealerships still don't have the part. Anybody have the inside scoop on when it will finally be available to us? Is there anything else that I should check on the car? When I took it to the dealership last week, it of course wasn't acting up so they didn't bother to run any diagnostics.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:34 AM

Engine: 3.0CRD
Default Lights switch

Although i noticed my ignition switch is a bit faulty I've just replaced the lights switch in a easy Do it your self operation and the flickering lights disappeared. It has been 6 months now working correctly.

Quick Reply: 2005 Grand Cherokee Laredo Lights Flickering