Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2004 Grand Cherokee audio problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy 2004 Grand Cherokee audio problem

I'm new to the forum, but not new to Jeep. Last year I purchased a 2004 Grand Cherokee Limited in very good shape to tow behind the motorhome. That part is great. However, since I received it (and long before, the p.o. says) the left side front and rear door speakers don't work. The right side is fine, as is the left front instrument panel speaker. The first place to look (according to your forum) is the wires in the door boot. Okay, the rear speaker had a broken wire in the boot that was repaired, but it made no difference. I just took apart the front door, and no broken wires. I temporarily replaced the amp with one I know works, but nothing changed. I did a continuity check on wires from the speaker(s) to the output connector of the amp, and all had continuity - no broken wires. I then did the same from the connector behind the radio to the input connector of the amp, and all had continuity there. I am ready to give up, but I figured I try posting here first. The fact that it's BOTH left door speakers should mean something, but I'm not sure what. I appreciate any and all help. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:24 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

The front door and front IP speakers are wired to work together. If the driver's door speaker isn't working but the front left IP speaker is, then most likely your wiring isn't bad and the front driver's door speaker is bad. I'd replace the speakers with aftermarket ones.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

One other thing that I would recommend doing is to check the radio to make sure that your Left to Right balance is in the center and also check to see if maybe it is worn out. If you maybe looking for a replacement radio, I have one that I will sell to you cheap if you need it. I had a audio problem with mine when I first bought it and it took me 6 months to figure it out.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:10 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

Also if you were to need a replacement radio, anything out of a 2002-2004 WJ will work, regardless of if it has the Infinity Gold premium audio system or not. You should look for "RBK" or "RBP" written in small, white letters on the bottom, right-hand corner of the radio screen if you want the same, exact radio that your Jeep would've come with from the factory. The RBK only had a CD player, while the RBP had BOTH cassette and CD players. Both radios had CD changer controls, if you have the 10-disc CD changer from the factory.

Radios from 1999-2001 WJ's will NOT work in 2002-2004 WJ's due to that they switched to a different style of wiring connectors, and a different style of A/M-F/M radio antenna in 2002.

To remove the radio from the dash, use a pry tool (I used a flathead screwdriver) to pry around the center air conditioner/heater (HVAC) vents and radio and remove the bezel and just pull out on the bezel to remove it once the clips holding it into the dash have been released. Then remove 4 Philips-head screws holding the radio in place and pull it from the dash. Then you'll press in on the connector on the back of the radio to remove it, and remove the A/M-F/M radio antenna. You have to pull directly out on the antenna to remove it since it kind of "interlocks" into the radio. There may also be another connection if you have the CD changer from the factory, which my WJ didn't. Then just connect the connector from your Jeep to the connection on the back of the radio until it "clicks" securely into place, connect the A/M-F/M radio antenna to the connection on the back of the radio until it "locks" into place, secure the radio to the dash with the 4 Philips-head screws, and push the bezel surrounding the radio and air conditioner/heater (HVAC) vents back into place and push firmly until all the clips are back into place. Jeep made it so easy (:

Last edited by 94zj318; 08-22-2015 at 10:16 PM.