Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee starts and shuts off after 3 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee starts and shuts off after 3 seconds

So I started having problems about a month ago when the electrical starting messing up. The door windows would not go down and the dash did not display any information. Two days ago I went out to start it and the battery was dead. I stripped back the wiring on the battery terminals and got new terminals and cleaned most of the obvious ground wires up with a metal brush and wd 40. It still has the same problem. I am charging the battery now but I had jumpers hooked straight to the battery wires and it still did the same thing. Something it telling it to shut down it seems. I can give it gas and everything but it shuts down after the same exact amount of time evertime.

I did some research online and seems it could be the key itself or something to do with the computer resetting or something? I dont know but can someone point me in the right direction? Thank you

Last edited by ohtwochair; 03-17-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Don't know anything about 2002 Grand Cherokees (this is an XJ forum), but it sounds like Sentry Key Immobilizer issue, which will shut down the Jeep in about three seconds if there's a fault. If there's a fault with the CPS the PCM will also shut down the fuel injectors (and ASD circuits) in about 2-3 seconds.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Welcome to the wrong forum!

Here's the correct forum. Somebody there is probably better able to help you.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

ohtwochair,

Place your key in the driver-side door and rotate it fully left-right 3 times. This needs to be done anytime your battery has been drained/recharged. It is also required when jump-starting after a drained battery.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:42 PM

Default Thanks for the help

I just tried the key thing going from left to right three times and it still does the same thing. Should I disconnect the battery for a minute and hook it back up then try it. No matter what I do it shuts off at the same exact 3 seconds or so everytime. I called a auto lock smith and he said if it was the key it would stay on for 30 seconds and then shut off. I have someone with a code reader coming to see if that might help. Any other suggestions?
Old 03-18-2017, 04:10 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

Check all your fuses and ground connections dude, if the cluster is out and no power windows you have a different problem, the anti theft system has nothing to do with the windows or dash.........more than likely there is a power loss to the PCM and that is why it will not start and stay running.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:17 PM

I checked all the ground connections I could find and cleaned them up with a wire brush and some WD-40. I also checked the fuses and none of the small ones are blown or anything. Is there any way to check the larger fuses without replacing them?

The jeep did run for a month or so without the power windows working or the dash so Im not sure if that is connected to the problem or not. It does seem like its not getting enough juice because when it does start for that 3 seconds the battery gauge only goes up slightly. like to the first line then shuts off and goes back down.

I dont know what other ground wires to check. I am starting to think it has something to do with the ecm module but not sure. Thanks for all the suggestions so far and looking forward to any more.

BLUERIDGEMARK- I posted my question on the thread you showed me also but seem to be getting more help on here. I guess I will keep both up for now if thats ok. Thanks again
Old 03-18-2017, 04:29 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Ok, lets try this again, you need to use a multi-meter and physically test all the power and ground connections at the PCM.......that means that you will need a wiring diagram of the PCM for your year and make of jeep. As far as the windows go, if you remove the kick panel on the lower left side and reach into the wiring bundle going to the door, you are going to find at least one broken wire if not more....and 5 will get you 10 that one of those wires is a 12 gauge black wire

ps...your duplicate thread has been removed
Old 03-18-2017, 04:40 PM

Ok. Il see if I can find a wiring diagram of the PCM. If you have the time could you explain how to check the power and ground connections to the pcm? I will see if I can find the answer myself online in the mean time. Thanks a lot for trying to help.

Last edited by ohtwochair; 03-18-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:42 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

if you pick up a chiltons manual you will find all the wiring diagrams in it.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.0/4.7

Check the skim module as well. That, the key, and the pcm all have to play nice for your jeep to run. Does the key icon flash on the dash when it dies?? If so, there is communication issues between one of the three things listed. Have owned five of these 99-04 grands, had this type of issue with one after replacing the replaced pcm in it... Had the wrong year computer in it when I got it and it was wreaking havoc on things communicating with one another.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:56 PM
Seasoned Member

And idk why you're being told it's the wrong forum, this IS "Grand Cherokee Tech" after all
Old 03-26-2017, 05:44 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ

Originally Posted by 00_WJ_4.0
And idk why you're being told it's the wrong forum, this IS "Grand Cherokee Tech" after all
This thread was moved to GC tech after that post.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:38 AM
Seasoned Member

It already WAS in grand cherokee tech, that's where I found it
Old 03-27-2017, 07:11 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I'm pretty sure the 3 second run and shutdown is a security problem having to do with the SKIM, especially if it starts and shuts down every time. It may be low voltage supply to the body harness because of the gauge action. All the gauge info comes from the PCM, not from sensors. The PCM reads the sensors, then displays the info on the gauges. You can check the system voltage with a cigarette lighter plug and a multimeter. Use the power outlet because it's hot all the time whereas the cigarette lighter is only hot with the key on.