Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee front impact sensors

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee front impact sensors

Where are they located? I have searched and searched, but haven't found them. I have an airbag light that is on and I have replaced the ACM with a known good unit. This is on a Jeep GC that was purchased for my girlfriend by her father, sight unseen. I have been trying to work out all the bugs since then. I have an abs light that is on, also. My scanner won't read the airbag or abs codes.

Anybody able to help???
Old 09-11-2015, 11:45 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The ACM module is part of the Can-bus system where all of the different modules communicate with each other. The PCM does a diagnostic sweep of all the modules periodically and if there is a problem, sets a warning light. The codes from these modules can only be read with the specialized equipment the dealer has. The difference between a module and a sensor is a module has computing power that makes decisions based in sensor input.

I had the same problem with my WJ and after banging my head awhile, took it to my dealer because it needed to pass inspection in less than a month. After they diagnosed it, the clockspring in the steering wheel had a break in the wire to the squib that fires the inflation charge. The clockspring itself costs $300 and the total service cost me $645.

Because you have replaced the ACM, it probably needs to be reprogrammed to comunicate with your PCM. In the long run, it probably would have been cheaper to have it checked out by the dealer before replacing anything because the module itself may not have been the problem. In my case, the driver's airbag wouldn't have inflated in an accident.

In answer to your question, the impact sensor on my 97 ZJ was mounted next to the horn bracket in the passenger's wheelwell. IDK where it is on the WJ.