Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1998 Grand Cherokee Immobilizer problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 diesel
Default 1998 Grand Cherokee Immobilizer problem

Hi Guys
Well further to my recent post regarding the Jeep's NON-Starting problem I have discovered one thing. Having disconnected the battery the dashboard and all guages seem to work now but I'm still unable to clear the immobiliser problem, I now think that it must be my 2 button remote fob that's faulty and causing the problem.
I called into my local Jeep agent and was told I would need a new remote fob, at a coast of £70 and that this would need reprogramming in the workshop along with the car, at a cost of approx £50 - 60 extra.
I explained that the car is not movable and asked if the remote can be programmed without the car. Their reply was that this is not possible and I would need to get the car recovered to their workshops, at more expense.Following reading an American site I discovered that in the US some locksmiths can do this reprogramming without the car.
I have now contacted a local locksmith who says he can probably repair my existing remote fob and reprogramme it but I will need the -'SKIN CODE'.
Can anyone tell me where this is located or how I can get this code please, as I'm stuck without my car for transport.
Thanks
Barry
Old 08-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO

i didnt read your other posts, but when you reconnected the battery, did the headlights and tailights flash and the engine would not start? in that case i had the same problem with my 1995. i borrowed a repair manual off of a technicain at the local dealership and it said that if you dont have the key fobs (which i didnt) you can simply put the key in either the front driver or passenger doors or the rear liftgate and turn the key to lock then unlock 5 times and the vehicle immobilizer will turn off. if you need any help, i still have the dealership repair manual with me if you want me to look anything up. i think the repair manual is for a 1997 but it should be fairly compatable with all ZJ years
Old 08-24-2009, 03:30 AM

Hi BoardmanXJ
Sorry its taken solong to get back to you but still got problems with this damn immobilizer, or whatever it is. I've tried several suggestion like locking and unlocking any door or tailgate 5 time then 12 times to clear the immobilizer all to no avail. But some things have changed. I recently disconnected the battery to recharge it, and now when i reconnect, although the Headlights and/or indicators DO NOT flash the alarm siren goes off. The only way to stop it is to disconnect the battery once again. Ther is NO starter operation at any time and never has been and the remote key fob does NOT lock/unlock the doors in fact I am wondering if it is the keybob that's causing the problem./ I've changed the batteries in that and I've gently rubbed over the contacts with a paper towel in case there was any dirt/dust around, but still nothing.
So, in summary, the red immobilizer LED keeps flashing steadily, the remote keybob operates absolutely nothing and although I have ignition and dashboard lights ther is NO sign ov life at the engine start .position.
A local locksmiths seems to think he can reprogramme my keyfob to align with the immobilizer unit in the car but I need to supply him with a 'PIN or SKIM' code first. Now getting desperate as the cars been off the road for about a month. Main agent says I need to take the car to them and possibly looking at around £200 to fix, that's after I manage to get the car to their workshops some distance away.
Any help grately appreciated.
Thanks, Barry
Old 08-24-2009, 07:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

I read in a thread on here (I can't find it now) that the code is behind the sensor on the headliner.
You can lock the doors with the inside button, and close the door. That activates the alarm. Then using the key, unlock the drivers door from the outside. That disarms the alarm. I tried this when I replaced the battery on my Grand and the alarm was going off. All was fine after that. The alarm also works without the fob.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:48 AM

Wink Im having this problem as well

Took our jeep to dealership who eventually after two days of trying to get the key codes said it was a wiring problem then told me that it was a door control module which would cost over 800 pounds to fix there must be a way of disconecting the immobiliser using the wiring in the door panel its cost 178 pound for them to do nothing they werent very helpful hope you got sorted out
Old 09-23-2009, 03:27 PM

Hi Geraldine
Been away on holiday so a bit late in picking this up. Yes, one would think someone out there would be prepared togive away the secret to this problem, as probably like you I've got a £1500 car sitting in the driveway just as it was transported back to my home almost 3 months ago. I've had suggestions about unlocking various doors from boththe inside and outside, looking for micro switches hidden in and behind the dashbord (which is still strewn all over the floor, letting the alarm sound for three minutes till it stops itself and clears the immobilizer. Pluis numerous others, NONE OF THEM WORK. Like you main agents will give no guarantees but suggest at the best approx £200-300 ti clear. I'm at my wits end, there has got to be an answer but nobody will say, I cannot believe that there is not a Jeep mechanic/electrician who can advise. I've tried several forums and even the US of A but still a blank. Don't know where to go next?
Barry
Old 09-23-2009, 11:04 PM
CF Veteran

If you read the following thread link, post #43, you can get any wiring diagram you desire.>>->https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/fus...-16036/index5/
Old 05-03-2013, 03:49 AM

Default Any luck

Hi I know this is an old thread but did anyone have any joy? Having same problem with 97 XJ 2.4l diesel. Dealer is unable to help(rude and a bit thick) checked my overhead console for the RKE module but it is not there. I did have keyless and immobiliser before but basically stopped overnight now security light will not go off on dash. Looked at getting new non immobilised PCM from USA but have been informed they didn't do the diesel there. Is there anywhere else the RKE module might be? In overhead console was blank connector black long and thin. I know it's a RKE problem as the doors don't unlock via fob either.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:13 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Aidso
Hi I know this is an old thread but did anyone have any joy? Having same problem with 97 XJ 2.4l diesel. Dealer is unable to help(rude and a bit thick) checked my overhead console for the RKE module but it is not there. I did have keyless and immobiliser before but basically stopped overnight now security light will not go off on dash. Looked at getting new non immobilised PCM from USA but have been informed they didn't do the diesel there. Is there anywhere else the RKE module might be? In overhead console was blank connector black long and thin. I know it's a RKE problem as the doors don't unlock via fob either.
Welcome to CF. On the Grand Cherokee the RKE receiver is built into the Passenger Door Module. Can't find out if it's the same for your vehicle or not though. Hope this may be of some help.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by ol"blue
Welcome to CF. On the Grand Cherokee the RKE receiver is built into the Passenger Door Module. Can't find out if it's the same for your vehicle or not though. Hope this may be of some help.
Hi so spent today neck deep in jeep(no trim left in the front). The UK models DO NOT have a RKE receiver. All remote locks and immobiliser is done via a mays & scofield unit located below steering coloum above fuse panel. This has antenna built in and replaces the USA RKE module. Spent an hour on the phone with May & Scofield with no great outcome. They were suggesting shipping unit back so they can repair and pair Fobs to unit. When it came back it would need re-matched to ECU as they talk to each other and look for codes from one and other(means you can't lift one from another car). All was looking very very bad. Then a wee call to another auto spark who suggested a company in England that can reprogramme ECUs. 20 mins later all good. The company in question have successfully reprogrammed several of these ECUs to ignore immobiliser at a fraction of the price suggested for official way. So packing ECU up tomorrow to be shipped. BTW it's the ECU located behind centre console in footwell not the drive control in the engine compartment. Will let you all know how is goes as soon as its back and will hopefully post a better guide.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Yankloverby4
Hi BoardmanXJ
Sorry its taken solong to get back to you but still got problems with this damn immobilizer, or whatever it is. I've tried several suggestion like locking and unlocking any door or tailgate 5 time then 12 times to clear the immobilizer all to no avail. But some things have changed. I recently disconnected the battery to recharge it, and now when i reconnect, although the Headlights and/or indicators DO NOT flash the alarm siren goes off. The only way to stop it is to disconnect the battery once again. Ther is NO starter operation at any time and never has been and the remote key fob does NOT lock/unlock the doors in fact I am wondering if it is the keybob that's causing the problem./ I've changed the batteries in that and I've gently rubbed over the contacts with a paper towel in case there was any dirt/dust around, but still nothing.
So, in summary, the red immobilizer LED keeps flashing steadily, the remote keybob operates absolutely nothing and although I have ignition and dashboard lights ther is NO sign ov life at the engine start .position.
A local locksmiths seems to think he can reprogramme my keyfob to align with the immobilizer unit in the car but I need to supply him with a 'PIN or SKIM' code first. Now getting desperate as the cars been off the road for about a month. Main agent says I need to take the car to them and possibly looking at around £200 to fix, that's after I manage to get the car to their workshops some distance away.
Any help grately appreciated.
Thanks, Barry
have same prob with 97 grand cherokee..Get a body control module(left side under dash)from a jeep with out security..then imobilize the electric locks,use manual locks ..fixed my prob
Old 09-01-2018, 05:33 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Hello Barry,
Please post the name and address of the company that you sent your ECU module to ?
Old 02-02-2019, 05:46 AM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Hello Barry,
I have recently had this problem and found the cure lay in changing the unit found behind the passenger door card for a second hand unit from a wrecked car.... this unit controls the remote locking / unlocking .... it isn’t an immobiliser unit as such but nevertheless it does have the effect of acting as such.... the unit must have the original key fob also. This relates to a UK imported car. Jock.
Old 10-07-2023, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Aidso
Hi so spent today neck deep in jeep(no trim left in the front). The UK models DO NOT have a RKE receiver. All remote locks and immobiliser is done via a mays & scofield unit located below steering coloum above fuse panel. This has antenna built in and replaces the USA RKE module. Spent an hour on the phone with May & Scofield with no great outcome. They were suggesting shipping unit back so they can repair and pair Fobs to unit. When it came back it would need re-matched to ECU as they talk to each other and look for codes from one and other(means you can't lift one from another car). All was looking very very bad. Then a wee call to another auto spark who suggested a company in England that can reprogramme ECUs. 20 mins later all good. The company in question have successfully reprogrammed several of these ECUs to ignore immobiliser at a fraction of the price suggested for official way. So packing ECU up tomorrow to be shipped. BTW it's the ECU located behind centre console in footwell not the drive control in the engine compartment. Will let you all know how is goes as soon as its back and will hopefully post a better guide.
so is this company that reprogram the ecu still about? Would be useful to Ibai as lots of folk on here still seem to have the same issues. Thanks.