Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo- Not starting properly

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Unhappy 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo- Not starting properly

Okay. So, I do not know much about cars. Please bare with me!
First of all, I have been having problems with my Jeep starting. Not every time, but sometimes. Usually, I can put it in neutral and it will start! Thank goodness! But I have been having this issue for a while and cannot figure out what exactly is wrong.
I have had transmission issues, which have been fixed.
I have replaced the starter. I have replaced the battery. All of the connections seem to be working properly. I have checked fuses.
But, my Jeep will not always start....the majority of the time. I can however put it in neutral and BAM! It starts. I was wondering if anyone had any idea of what could be the problem! It has been so stressful and I am scared to drive it alone, considering I am a female and do not live in the safest city.
Any ideas? It is a 2 wheel drive. 6 cylinder. If that matters.
I'd greatly appreciate feedback. This has been driving me crazy for months!

Also, I have a leak on my passenger side. It's so bad that it smells terrible and is constantly soaking wet. I've shampooed it and dried it and the next day it will be soaking wet again. Any ideas on how to fix this? I know it has something to do with a pipe or something?
I've only heard ways that will fix it, but will make it to where my heat won't work. Supposed to be a very cold winter and cannot live without heat.

Last edited by confused_monkey; 10-03-2014 at 12:55 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 10-03-2014, 01:17 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

Wet passenger's carpets can mean 2 things. It's either coolant leaking from the heater core (small radiator inside the heater) or a plugged A/C drain (clear water). If it's the heater core, please get it repaired soon because inhaling antifreeze vapors can make you sick or even kill you. It's a major job because you have to take the dash apart to get to it.

The A/C drain is simpler. There is a small rubber tube near the bottom of the outside part of the heater by the engine that needs to be cleaned out.

I'd be willing to bet it's the heater core, however.

The starting problem might just be linkage adjustment or a neutral safety switch. Try pushing the shifter hard into park when it won't start. My '97 ZJ had the same problem but only once in a while. It would ALWAYS start in neutral.

Last edited by dave1123; 10-03-2014 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 6 cyl. 4.0 - 4x4

I'm surprised no one suggested to inspect your Neutral Safety Switch (NSS) for your Neutral Start issue. Many posters refer to it, and its worth checking out. Clean the connections, or replace it if need be. I'm unsure about how to test it. First, I'd suggest searching around these Forums or the entire www, so your armed with more info, then tackle it.

Disregard the above if you've resolved the issue, but then it would be cool if you came back & updated for the Community. Take Care.

Google Search Link: Neutral Safety Switch
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...fety+Switch%22

Last edited by Brew; 12-12-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:34 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Uh, excuse me Brew, but didn't you read my last post? I could have sworn I mentioned the NSS.