Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1993 5.2 ZJ-- Coolant fill tank/overflow backing up but radiator/hose(?) leaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 05:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2
Default 1993 5.2 ZJ-- Coolant fill tank/overflow backing up but radiator/hose(?) leaking

Update:

dave1123 pegged the problem, but you can see the symptoms below... maybe someone will get some use out of this thread to diagnose problems later.

I had heard the dying bearing sound of the water pump earlier but wasn't sure what it was--and it had gone away. All the noise a 22 year old ZJ makes + a Super 44 on a 5.2, and you don't hear much anyway...

Below you'll see a video I posted that has an example of a dead/dying water pump.

Getting a new one put in also solved the problem with REALLY rough idle when the engine was warm. (ran just fine when it was stone cold or hot)

ALSO-- after the new water pump went in, the problem with the transmission hesitating then lightly clunking into gear from a dead stop went away. Maybe related to the trans cooler? who knows....
------------------------------------------------

So I noticed a random leak about every 5th or 6th trip. Trips were anywhere from 30 mins to 1 hr plus total driving (running errands). Leak seems to be *somewhere* between block and radiator...could be trickling down from either spot since it drips down onto the ground in between both.

During all of this, no overheating problems... but I noticed the overflow reservoir seemed to be filling up a little at a time.

Finally one day a BIG leak on the first really hot day in months and on the few block drive home the engine got really hot but didn't overheat. Got real close though... Overflow reservoir (fill tank) still was about 3- 4 inches above the fill line.

My 100% shot in the dark guess is maybe stuck thermostat either causing a leak or coincidentally happening with a leak.

Radiator is a cheap but not the cheapest new one, put in maybe 6,000 miles ago. Can't tell you exactly what it is. Don't know what brand/model the thermostat is either. For all I know the thermostat is the old one from before the radiator replacement.

After this last big leak of antifreeze I just left it parked a couple weeks since it's my second car just for screwing around and driving around the dogs or doing 1-5 mile shopping trips. Before this issue, did a few 200 mile trips no problem.

Dumped more coolant straight into the radiator and since it's just sitting anyway, drove it and parked it on the street near my mechanic. Ran normal temps driving over.

Since I haven't handed it over to the mechanic yet any ideas? Thanks

Last edited by basegrinder; 03-11-2015 at 06:09 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:12 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

My first guess? Water pump.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by dave1123
My first guess? Water pump.
Thanks... I should'a checked on the usual water pump symptoms

I think you are right.... had a sound verrrry similar to this: (3 min 10 seconds...)

I will update thread title when I know for sure

Last edited by basegrinder; 03-03-2015 at 06:40 PM.