Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

'04 GC limited v8 wont start (new battery)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default '04 GC limited v8 wont start (new battery)

I have a 2004 v8 grand Cherokee. Yesterday when I came home from work for lunch and tried to leave, it wouldn't start. It didn't click or turn over at all and the gauges went crazy. I did some research and tried moving the shifter while turning the key and it started. It ran fine after that and had no problems.

This morning, same thing happened and nothing would start. A friend came and jumped me and the lights would come on and it would turn over but still wouldn't start. He took me to buy a brand new battery, replaced it, and we tried jumping the new battery but this time it just clicks and doesn't turn over (and the lights still come on).

I've tried looking at the relays, the solenoid, the starter, using a different key, etc. it's not the NSS because my reverse lights work. I've tried starting the car in neutral.

I really don't have the money to take it to the shop until this weekend and I really need to be at work tomorrow, so I'd appreciate any help I can get. It feels like I've tried just about everything but can't figure out a solution. Thanks, Jake
Old 05-26-2016, 04:37 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Sounds like a bad battery cable or connection. Check for the cable being loose in the molded battery clamp.