Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

02 grand ch. starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 02 grand ch. starting problems

Hello, new here, I just got a 02 Ch. overland for my daughter, has the problem of sometimes you turn key and nothing happens, no click or try to start. sometimes you can hit brake and jeep will start, other times it won't. Not talking about a bad battery issue, is hitting brake a coincidence, or not. Moving shifter does not make a diff. when it don't start, the key emblem lights up, I had a new key made, still have prob. I just don't want her stranded. Is it something with switch? Brake pedals? Any help appreciated, we don't have a Local Dodge Jeep Dealer to check with. Thanks, John
Old 10-02-2015, 10:21 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

This sounds to me like a SKIM (Security Key Identification Module) problem. There is an RFD chip in the key that has to be programmed with a code that the SKIM reads when the key is turned on. If the codes in the key and in the module match, it will be allowed to start. Your new key has to be programmed as well. It sounds to me like the SKIM isn't functioning all the time. That symbol with the key on the dash says it's not the proper key.

Unfortunately, this is a dealer issue unless it's just a loose connection. Either way, that new key has to be programmed.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:41 PM

Thanks Dave, It also does it with the original jeep keys also. I appreciate your help. It also does it with the original Jeep keys. It does it intermittion and sometime pushing brake pedal helps sometimes it don't. Have heard everything from NSS, to IG.switch to the adjustqble brake pedal. It wont duplicate problem enough for me to say definatly what helps it to start. It SEEMS to help by pushing brake pedal "according to my wife" but not always. 2002 G.C. 4.7 overland. Thanks for any help. John
Old 10-03-2015, 12:52 PM
Old fart with a wrench

I'm leaning toward a loose connection because pushing the brake pedal flexes the dash and may be stretching a wire harness or connector. Just for grins, when it shows the bad key symbol, try moving the tilt wheel and see what that does, if anything. I believe the SKIM is located in the ignition switch. It just about HAS to be to read the RFD chip in the key.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:46 PM

Thanks Dave, I apprecieate your help, I'm off work today, trying to get it to act up, of course it hasn't today. I will tell wife about tilting wheel. She says it does it mostly after running a while then shutting it off. I hope I can find something that is consistant to make it crank, you may be on to something about a loose connection. I will keep you posted. Once again, Thanks.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:37 PM
Old fart with a wrench

This has nothing to do with your problem, but shows just fussy electrics can be. My '00 WJ has a problem with the LEFT turn signal. It started when it was cold last winter, but has continued into the summer. Sometimes when I turn on the left signal, and ONLY the left signal, it won't flash. If I keep the signal lever in left turn and turn on the 4-ways, then turn them off when they start to flash, the left signal will continue to flash. If it's on long enough to heat it up the connection, they will continue to work until I shut off the engine and let it cool down. I figured it was a burnt connection inside the switch, but a new switch acts the same. Now I have to check the pins inside the harness connector for a bad connection. When I changed the switch, I cleaned the connector with electronics cleaner and "air-in-a can", but it didn't change anything. What I'm doing now is on initial start-up, sitting there and flashing the left turn signal for a while before backing out of the driveway. Most times it works all day after that, but once in a while it fails when I need it most, like in the middle of an intersection! People get confused when I flash the 4-ways to get it started.

You may have the same problem with the connector on the SKIM. If so, it's the female contacts in the plug that have lost their "grab" on the male pins. Probably, like mine, just one. This problem just started at around 170K miles. She's just showing her age. LOL!

Last edited by dave1123; 10-03-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:44 PM

finally this evening it did act up. The only thing consistant was that turn key and nothing, push brakes and turn key it started. same thing several times in a row. BUT, this time it wasn't just the key with the line through it on, it was all the "idiot" lights. Tilting the wheel didn't change anything but silly as it sounds pushing brake pedal would make it start. Also, having key turned to start the pushing pedal didn't make it start, only pushing and holding pedal first. it is driving me crazy.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:50 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Something else you can check is any grounding points under the dash near the pedal assembly. You may have a loose bolt somewhere.