Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

'01 WJ Stong Interior Gas Smell

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default '01 WJ Stong Interior Gas Smell

First time poster, lurking for a while. Thanks to this site and all those posting their knowledge for others. Already helped me multiple times while fixing up my youngest son's "new" 01 WJ.

Only real remaining issue is a terribly strong gas smell in the interior after sitting with windows up. No leaks from injectors and smell is not stronger with a/c on so I don't think it's anything from under the hood. Engine runs like a top with expected performance, no codes, no leaks etc from underneath that I can see, vent hose next to fill cap looks intact, nothing obvious but there's got to be something I'm missing. Anyone have any ideas? Being that this is my son's daily driver, I can't put him back in it until I feel comfortable the gas fumes are under control. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JC

Last edited by JCIII; 08-23-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:42 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

The only thing that strikes me is the fuel tank is underneath the spare tire well and there might be a hole rusted in the bottom of the tire well and a leaky vent line underneath. That's about the only suggestion I can think of right now. There just isn't any other place fumes can get into the cab unless you filled a lawn mower can and soaked the carpet.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

Checkout the fuel rail I had the same problem on my 02 and that was it. Look for a small drip on the manifold. It took to find it because it evaporated so fast. I have the 4.0 if that helps.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:01 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. Dave, body is sound, no rust at all, I looked under the spare soon after we started smelling it because it's right over the tank.

Lozo, was yours leaking from the rail itself, not the injector orings? Did it smell worse after sitting for a while? His does and I would think a fuel rail/injector leak would smell worse running when fuel was actually being pushed through the injection system. Did you just replace the entire rail?
Old 08-24-2015, 01:09 PM

Sitting was the worse I could not smell it while driving. Like I said it took me a little while to find it . It was the rail itself not the injectors. Also had a hard time finding a new rail. Hope this helps
Old 08-25-2015, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the additional lead, I'll look closer at the rail itself. You're right, not an easy part to find.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:44 AM

Checked again yesterday, noticed last injector and area around it on manifold were just a little too "clean" in comparison to the others. Took everything apart, replaced o-rings, all back together for testing. Fired it up and gas sprayed everywhere out of the cup on last injector. Looks like there was a crack or something already on the rail and I obviously helped it along pulling rail off and reinstalling. New rail on order, and hopeful that will fix the smell to. My son also told me he had seen a few puffs of white smoke (not steam) coming out of the hood in the middle right at windshield, which would further indicate a gas leak on that part of the manifold to me.

Thanks Lozo! Never seen a rail go bad, never would have guessed a hard tube like that would fail secured to the engine with no movement etc.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:40 AM

Your welcome found out the hard way with mine.