Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The XJ That's Taking Too Long

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 07:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 5.0
Default The XJ That's Taking Too Long

Here is my current build, a small block Chevy in my 86 XJ. I started it 3 years ago. Hey, stuff takes time.

The start.
As it currently sits, it now has newer 4.0 XJ springs in the front. I have the small block mounted along with the 700R4 and 207 t-case. The t-case linkage is now finished and works great. Need to do the shift linkage to finish off the trans. I'm waiting on money so I can get the radiator and a boatload of small crap to wrap this up.

Here it is in all it's glory.

I also got the manifolds ground down to clear the valve covers better and to look better.

Here it is ready to go.

Here is the rad I'm going to use. It fits between the steering box and the pass frame rail, just. FYI, it's a Allstar that's 19x22".

And the shift linkage I'm going to use. I was going to make my own, but sorting out all the angles and positions made it better to just get this. It will connect to the stock floor shifter.

Pretty much all that's left after this is pull the mock up engine along with everything else and power wash the bay and get everything ready for the real engine. Then all that's left is 100+ little things to wrap up. I hope to be driving this by fall. I never mentioned what fall did I?
Been tinkering for a while, massaging things and brainstorming on other issues. Here are a few progress pics.

I am thinking of building a different motor mount arrangement as the upper control arms are about 2-3" from the mounts. If I decide on a lift, then there will be no issues.

Wacha think thus far?

Last edited by jbsjunk; 12-13-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:39 PM
CF Veteran

Been picking away at a lot of things. Here is as it sits today.

You can see the hood pins I have in it now, I'm not real sure on those but they work.

Here is the Lokar shift linkage for the trans.

The t-case shift linkage. Yes, it's a bit butch but it works till I figure out an alternative. You can see above the linkage where the trans shift rod goes to the stock shifter.

The engine as it sits now, mainly complete. Yes, the air cleaner clears the hood by about 3/4".

Was going to get a aftermarket electric fan, but a friend had a OE GM fan from a front driver, this pulls some mad air. You can also see the top rad mounts which incorporate the upper fan mount.

I didn't like how the battery sat in the stock tray, but didn't want to move it to the back, so I cut a small part of the inner fender and made a pocket where the battery will sit nice and out of the way of everything. This actually turned out very well.

And it doesn't intrude in the wheelwell enough to make any difference.

Got the little lift in, spacers in the front and shackles in the rear. I still want to put a small block or thick overload leaf in it to get the rear up a fuzz. I scored the front spacers for almost nothing from a guy parting out a XJ. The shackles came from Zook.

That should be it for now. The only major things left is the exhaust which I'll build, and the driveshafts.

Wacha think so far?

Last edited by jbsjunk; 12-13-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:40 PM
CF Veteran

The TV cable and brackets for the 700R4.

Reworked the power steering pump mounting and built new brackets for it. Got it closer to the crank and not hanging in the breeze so much. The pump pulley was close, but modded it to get it where it needed to be.

Modded a stock plug wire hanger to keep the wires off the steering shaft.

Like the S-10 washer bottle w/pump? Fits like it belongs there.

Made air baffles for the radiator so any air that goes thru the grille makes it to the rad instead of blowing around.

Got the wiring sorted out. Got a small fuse block for the fan and starter relays which are to the left. It came stock with a starter relay so I refined it a bit.

See the corded underhood light by the blower motor? Came from a 'burban and works well. The light is magnetic and sticks anywhere and wind it up when you're done with it.

Didn't really like how the alternator was mounted, so I reworked that and changed the alt to a newer higher amp model. Got a turnbuckle for the alt adjuster along with jamb nuts to keep everything tight.

Need to get the dash back together, pulled the cluster to swap out some bad bulbs and to wire up a couple switches for the cooling fan and back up lights since they were ran off the trans originally.

My only major dollar things left are driveshafts and exhaust.

Maybe I'll be able to drive it someday in the future.............

Last edited by jbsjunk; 12-13-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:42 PM
CF Veteran

Not much to report, but I did get the vacuum reserve bottle mounted (another GM piece) and got the dash back together, just need to wire the switches.

Got the dirty pig washed up last weekend, it actually looks good now.

Last edited by jbsjunk; 12-13-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:44 PM
CF Veteran

Here are some pics of the new goodies.

Hood pin clipped

Unclipped. Nothing to lose.

The new recovery jug.

I'm thinking seriously about getting street rod headers, got the number and dimensions already because I don't think my valve cover gaskets will last long where the manifolds are. Might be 1/8" gap between the two. Both sides have the same gap. I only want to build my exhaust once.

Hood struts, they work beautify.

They open the hood further than with the prop rod and hold it open a foot if need be.

Slow going now. Still need to come up with the funds for driveshafts, want those in before the exhaust gets done so clearances are right, at least the front.

Last edited by jbsjunk; 12-13-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:49 PM
CF Veteran

Got the driveshafts done. D&R did a good job again. Those will go in once I get bolts for the front.

Got the shortie headers. They fit like a glove and clear everything.

I just need to build the exhaust now. And tackle a few little things.
Finished screwing the headers on and re-ran the plug wires. I'm not real happy with those now, but they'll do for now.

Like my shafts?

Got a trans temp gauge in too. No, it's not a knee knocker. Plenty of room.

I gotta put rear brakes in it cuz the current ones are junk. I'm going to replace the hard line front to rear and the lines on the diff, rusted thru and put a YJ rear hose on it, it's longer than XJ. That is next. Then I think I can tackle the exhaust.

Oh joy.........

Here is the adapter I built to go from the Jeep trans mount to the S-10 trans.

Here are a few pics of my plunder.

Front hitch.

Exhaust parts.

T-case drop.

I actually put the drop in today. Yay for me. I hate creepers and working on my back. I want a hoist...........
Old 10-14-2011, 07:53 PM
CF Veteran

Finally got the exhaust done. I did it from the tailpipe forward to get everything positioned for the front, that was a huge PITA.

Here are pics.

Tail

Front Y-pipe

Got the spare set, found a matching wheel and by a stroke of luck a new tire that matches the ones on it already.

I wasn't planning on this taking all day, but it's done. Now tomorrow I can service the trans and put the front receiver on and whatever I have time to tinker with.

Here's today's carnage.

Front receiver.

A little idea I picked up eons ago for the 700r4. Take the electrical plug for a 400 trans (Electric kickdown) and put it in place of the 4 wire plug on the 700. Makes wiring the lockup solenoid easy, 1 spade for both sides.
400 left, 700 right. This is the connector that passes thru the case.

I need a lift. Gonna have to order it soon. I'll have coil spacers, shackles and new JK shocks for sale once I get them off.

If it isn't 1 thing, it's 13 others.

I should've gotten into something brainless and don't cost a fortune........

Reworked drivers downpipe, much better but I'll still need a lift and adjust bumpstops.

Fixed trans leak.
New acc pump on carb, old gasket was leaking.
Moved the fork on the disco, now the axle is always connected.
Checked/filled fluids on everything down under.

The bad:
Took it for a ride and the trans slips like a mother. My fault for using a used trans as is.

So, I need to find money for the lift and to get the trans reworked. This pile will never see the road..............

This bring it up to now.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l inline 6cyl

i love it. glad to see someone else has the same rims as me fer once. is that just a reg csb in it?
Old 10-14-2011, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

csb? Chevy small block? Yep, for now until I work the bugs out of this rig. Then something bigger may be in order, but after driving this around the lot a few times it has some snort.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:06 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l inline 6cyl

yep, chevy small block. pretty sweet set up so far. seen on the youtube that a kid put a l98 vette motor in a 89 cherokee. i'm impressed by this, alot. just imagine tho, that snort will someday be a growl. lol, that'd be something to pull up next to0 thinkin its just another i6 motor, till ya hammer it.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:00 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

Your title is misleading... this is so much cooler than I expexted.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

<<< Jealous.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ivantheigor
Your title is misleading... this is so much cooler than I expexted.
For real. Not ready to be mindblown at this time!

Old 10-22-2011, 11:57 AM
CF Veteran

No progress. I'm waiting on the guy rebuilding my trans then it's saving for the SS SYE kit then save for the lift.

Here is the latest gathering of parts. A new converter, kickdown cable with bracket, adapter kit to go from the turbo 350 to the S-10 231 and a shiny dipstick and tube for the trans.

The 231.

The speedo issue is solved, for the time being anyway. I forgot about the GPS I got from my brother a couple years ago. Tested it out and it'll work fine.

Hopefully spring this will see the road........
Old 10-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: inline 6

are my eyes bad or did i just see coils on ur springs in the rear ?????

Quick Reply: The XJ That's Taking Too Long