Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regular Cherokee mkII

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 07:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Regular Cherokee mkII

In a strange twist of fate, i heard about a jeep for sale from a coworker one Tuesday, and that Friday i had purchased my new '98 XJ.

I didn't pay much for it, but I bought it knowing it had a few issues. But there isnt much rust anywhere (floors are all solid! ) and it only has 169k miles (previous XJ had 100k more)

After having a 96 for so long, the refreshed interior is a nice change. If only they'd have given me the key fob that came with it...

quick rundown
>4.0, Auto, NP-231 4x4
>Sunroof (actually doesn't leak)
>keyless entry (as mentioned, missing the key fob)
>Hitch receiver of some variety
>fog lights (these dont work and are missing their lenses)

Just a quick pic from where i picked her up. not a lot of glamor shots yet, i havent been able to really get anything done to it on account of super muddy Ohio weather and no garage to put it in.
Attached Thumbnails Regular Cherokee mkII-98.jpg  
Old 01-24-2017, 08:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Some of the known issues are
>transmission was shifting oddly, sometimes it would have a 'dead space' before it actually moved, especially in reverse
>once you start it, it usually starts to run rough after about a minute or two of idling. after a few seconds of acting like its going to die, its perfectly fine
>driver sear pulled the front left bolt out of the seat frame, so the seat wobbles
>no muffler
>battery terminal clamps are shot. sometimes i have to jiggle the starter lead to get it enough of a connection to start.
>NSS is acting up, but not that badly. Not sure if its related, but the shift indicator is on gear off (i.e. it says its in neutral when its in OD)
>coolant could use a flush, theres some yucky sludgy stuff in the bottom of the overflow

I fixed the transmission issue, once I drove it to one of my jobs to pick up my paycheck, i checked the fluid and there wasnt any on the dipstick! So two quarts of DexIII later i was showing some on there, and after it warmed up it was about where it should have been. shifts great now. Appears to be a small leak dripping from the bellhousing area but ill investigate it further when i can.

As for the next thing i'll probably get fixed, the terminal clamps, im looking at a brass pair from Advance. Odd thing is, currently on the jeep, the negative lead that goes from the battery to the ground in the fender, isnt even connected to the battery!?! Im not an electrical expert, but shouldn't this cause grounding issues?

I bought the thing knowing it would be a sort of "rolling project", so hopefully nothing big comes up.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I just read through both of your build threads and I'm glad you and your brother are both okay, that looked like it could of been really bad. What part of Ohio are you in? I'm up in the Dayton area. also I had some of the same issues with my Heep a couple of weeks ago it turned out to be the TPS for me but basically the heep wouldn't rev over 3k idled harder than a 50 cal recoils and the trans didn't want to shift at all

Last edited by Jeepasarusflex; 01-25-2017 at 07:30 AM. Reason: adding stuff
Old 01-25-2017, 06:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Jeepasarusflex
I just read through both of your build threads and I'm glad you and your brother are both okay, that looked like it could of been really bad.
Thanks, it really could have been pretty bad. Just goes to show you that
>never let your guard down. Even on a routine thing, the same as every day of the week, something can go wrong
>cherish life and your loved ones, because you may never know when they are taken from you

Though I'm still wondering why on a morning so foggy that the store next door couldn't see her headlights on the cameras, she still reported traveling 38 in a 35 zone when she hit me

In any case, now that i have a bit more experience with these beasts, i should be able to keep the thread updated. Plus, fixing all the little issues this thing has may prove helpful for others who have those mysterious problems.

Im in the Zanesville area, BTW. East of Newark and Cbus.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:13 PM

Year: 1999

Nice looking rig, always liked that color! Also, glad you guys are ok. Better luck with this one.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:37 AM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Glad you picked up a new Jeep so quickly. GREAT find with the '98.

The fluid in the tranny is exactly what I figured was the problem.

As far as your rough idle goes, pull all the ground connections, clean them really good down to bare metal, coat them with some dielectric grease, and reestablish... especially the one on the fender lol. Sounds like your IAC needs to be cleaned too. Go to the parts store, get a TB gasket and pull the TB and the IAC and give them both a good cleaning. Use carb or TB cleaner for them.

As far as the NSS, well - I'm sure you've seen the writeups on how to clean those. I'd definitely recommend that. There's an adjustment clamp on the transmission lever under the jeep to adjust the position of the lever inside. If I find the picture, I'll post it up for ya.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:02 PM

Looks like you're about 2 1/2 hours from me so if you are down to wheel somewhere and need another to ride along let me know
Originally Posted by RegularGuy
Thanks, it really could have been pretty bad. Just goes to show you that
>never let your guard down. Even on a routine thing, the same as every day of the week, something can go wrong
>cherish life and your loved ones, because you may never know when they are taken from you

Though I'm still wondering why on a morning so foggy that the store next door couldn't see her headlights on the cameras, she still reported traveling 38 in a 35 zone when she hit me

In any case, now that i have a bit more experience with these beasts, i should be able to keep the thread updated. Plus, fixing all the little issues this thing has may prove helpful for others who have those mysterious problems.

Im in the Zanesville area, BTW. East of Newark and Cbus.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by quicksdraw92
always liked that color!
First night, driving it home, i stopped at the mall as per the usual for Fridays. When i came out, i started looking for my brother's truck. then i was, "oh yeah, i'm in my jeep!"
so then i look for a white XJ. once i realized the color i was actually looking for, it certainly stood out!

Originally Posted by Basslicks
As far as your rough idle goes, pull all the ground connections, clean them really good down to bare metal, coat them with some dielectric grease, and reestablish... especially the one on the fender lol. Sounds like your IAC needs to be cleaned too. Go to the parts store, get a TB gasket and pull the TB and the IAC and give them both a good cleaning. Use carb or TB cleaner for them.
Yeah i was relived that 'fixed' the tranny, at least for now. after i diagnose the leak, ill feel even better. heres hoping its just a loose pan.

Hopefully those grounds will help out, it may also have something to do with why the door locks and windows only work sometimes.

Originally Posted by Jeepasarusflex
Looks like you're about 2 1/2 hours from me so if you are down to wheel somewhere and need another to ride along let me know
WILCO. I know theres a place not too far from e called Heiney Farm (yeah yeah, lol) that have jeep meetups, caps, ect. they have a lot of trails there.

As for the jeep, I may get to take a few pics of issues I plan to address this weekend. I got home late from work today or else id have snapped one of the funny battery hookups and the seat bolt-both things I'm hoping to get fixed in the next couple days.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:20 PM

Hopefully by the time you get your jeep ready I'll have my locker and winch in 😄
Old 01-26-2017, 09:42 PM
Seasoned Member

my "winch" will be at best a hi-lift jack, sadly.

Lighting might be another topic that gets addressed sooner. I have a pair of GE Nighthawks in my wrecked jeep, ill do a before-and-after pic set of the swap into this one. it actually did put out a noticeable amount of extra light, and they only ran me 15 each on amazon. That's with the stock wiring, even.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Alright, first "technical" pics i snapped to illustrate a few points.
First we have the battery wiring. Yes the terminals are shoddy, but i have outlined in red the ground cable which is attached to the firewall, but not to the battery. I just hope that when i change the terminals and re-attach it, i dont found out that it was disconnected for a reason.

Also are pics of the seat frame. I also took these for my own use so i can look and study it from such a tight space. Im thinking i may be able to 'fix' it temporarily with washers or a small metal plate held down by the bolt, but i guess we will see.
Attached Thumbnails Regular Cherokee mkII-seat-frame-.jpg   Regular Cherokee mkII-seat-frame-b.jpg   Regular Cherokee mkII-batt.jpg  

Last edited by RegularGuy; 01-29-2017 at 09:37 PM. Reason: forgot a pic
Old 01-30-2017, 07:36 AM

Good luck man I hate finding wiring issues I don't even want to know what the PO did to some of my wiring because he liked to just "wing it" when it came to wiring.
First we have the battery wiring. Yes the terminals are shoddy, but i have outlined in red the ground cable which is attached to the firewall, but not to the battery. I just hope that when i change the terminals and re-attach it, i dont found out that it was disconnected for a reason.

Also are pics of the seat frame. I also took these for my own use so i can look and study it from such a tight space. Im thinking i may be able to 'fix' it temporarily with washers or a small metal plate held down by the bolt, but i guess we will see.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:30 AM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

my "winch" will be at best a hi-lift jack, sadly.
You could do a heck of a lot worse than a hi-lift! That's the only recovery device I have. Probably the only one I'll have for a while, too. I got a large heavy duty chain from harbor freight, the hi-lift, and a recovery strap. Now all I need is a tree-saver and I'm set.

Only thing that ground does is "bond" the chasis ground. There's already a ground going from the battery to your engine block, and from your engine block to your firewall (for radio noise suppression), so to complete the "bond" and make a solid ground, they do one from the battery to the inside of the engine compartment. Kinda makes a complete loop, ya know?
Old 02-01-2017, 10:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Well, a small update. no pictures yet.

Attempted to take the driver wheel off the wrecked XJ. I guess soaking the lugnuts in PB Blaster for a week wasnt enough, nor was heating them with my pitiful torch. I pulled off one beauty cap, and was afraid of rounding that bare nut off any further.

My neighbor came and lent me a hand with a larger breaker bar than i had (this was 3/4") and we managed to get all lugnuts loosened on all wheels except that one, which proceeded to round off completely.
These suckers were on there tight! the whole jeep was moving sometimes, and the big breaker bar needed a 3' cheater pipe!

So looks like now to have the nicer set of "classic" wheels on the MkII, i'll need to figure out a way to get a rounded off lugnut off.
Drill it out with a titanium bit?
Old 02-02-2017, 06:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The color is my favorite, I have 2 the same color..... Good luck with your build....

Quick Reply: Regular Cherokee mkII