Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Resurrection

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Project Resurrection

So my first jeep was a 97 jeep cherokee 4x4 painted flame red. I sold this jeep to my younger brother in good condition this past February. Over the last 6 months it has been nearly completely destroyed by him. He took it mudding but didnt bother to do any maintenance outside of 1 oil change. I just got the jeep back and decided to open a new thread because there are a lot of new parts and new fluids going into this jeep. The first thing I did was completely cleaned out the engine compartment of all mud that was slung up into there as well as a mud caked air filter. In advance, I know I'll take crap from using advanced auto brakes and rotors but I have them on my ranger and they work better than the high end brakes for me (absolutely no noise and great stopping power)
Here goes:
New axle u-joints (moog), calipers (refurbs from advanced), diff fluid change (valvoline 75w-90 full synthetic), rotors, brakes (wearevers), new air filter, Tranny fluid change, Muffler (Walker) :
Attached Thumbnails Project Resurrection-jeep-2.jpg   Project Resurrection-jeep-3.jpg  

Last edited by SixShooterXJCherokee; 08-30-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:39 PM

Today was the transfer case tear down and inspection as well as new rear shocks. The top bolts broke off so I got out the tap and die set
The drivers side shock is installed. I am going back to school tomorrow so I plan to have the rear brakes and shocks done by Friday so next weekend I can get the transfer case back up and everything reattached so I can move onto the oil leak and other stuff (such as the crack in the unibody on the drivers side by the gas tank). I am currently driving my ford ranger but I hope to be back in the jeep by mid September. Did I mention I have to get two new tires? My younger brother ran over a scrap pile of metal and ruined two of the tires.
Also, you guys have any opinion on seafoam? I bought a can of it along with new plugs (champion copper plus spaced at .035 as everyone recommends), oil (castrol gtx synthetic blend), and filter. Havent had a chance to do that yet as I want to get the brakes and drivetrain taken care of first. Ill get some pics of the whole jeep by the end of the week. I will also be doing a 2 in lift at some point once the jeep runs well and has no more major issues.
Attached Thumbnails Project Resurrection-jeep-4.jpg  

Last edited by SixShooterXJCherokee; 08-30-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:31 PM

So, heres the new rear shock and rear brakes. I also get a new parts kit because the slack adjuster and a couple other things were broke on both sides. Headed to a tranny shop tomorrow to get an opinion on my transfer case. Oh yeah and here is my ranger with 4 inch lift, roll bar and lights, stinger bar bumper with winch mount, cooper discover at/3's. As soon as the jeep is done the ranger may be going up for sale (maybe)
Attached Thumbnails Project Resurrection-jeep-5.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2015, 07:22 PM

So today I got the brakes bled, put the rear diff cover back on and filled it with gear oil, changed the thermostat and its gasket, flushed out the antifreeze and put new in. Found a transfer case for $100 at the local junk yard. I got 4 newer firestone highway tires for $200 mounted and balanced. I will be looking for 30 inch mud tires on separate rims to pop on when I want to go mudding. I think new leaf packs will be in order as well.
Money so far into the project: $800. Time into project: 60 hrs.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:49 PM

So the transfer case is in and good. Everything fits and it runs good, that part anyhow. I havent posted here in a while because I just went back to college.
Now I just took it out for a test drive after I got my new firestone destination LE2 tires and I pull in the garage and there is exhaust flying out of the grill. I pop the hood and *hit my header is visibly cracked where it meets the exhaust. To top it off it would appear as though the cat is fried. Plenty of smoke coming from it as well. Now we are onto a new header, intake gasket, and exhaust back to the muffler (which is brand new). So it was a *hitty day in jeep world today (just empty every pocket).
Old 09-17-2015, 07:43 PM

Ok so all the new parts are in for the exhaust. Everything but the old catalytic converter is getting black heat paint (mainly to help combat the Ohio rust. Pics coming this weekend. I also decided to do the head gasket. I was most of the way there having the manifold off so I went ahead and started it. All in all the head project is only gonna cost me like $120 so thats ok. Over 1k now into fixing the heep! There is light at the end of the tunnel. Can anyone point me in the right direction for the torquing pattern for the head bolts (I am getting new ones)? I know they have a very specific pattern and procedure.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:29 PM

The head gasket and everything is now done. I started her up today and she ran better than she ever has. Idle is smoother, driving is awesome, and it starts quicker and easier than before. Pics coming tomorrow of all the new parts and processes.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:40 PM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Seafoam is good stuff. Never heard any negative feedback on it. That's a cute ranger by the way
Old 10-02-2015, 08:31 AM

Alright guys, bad news. The jeep was sandwiched between an e350 and an f250 yesterday on the freeway. Looks like she might be done. The unibody on the passenger side is bent and the rear passenger door will not open. The rear drivers side of the unibody is broke completely through. I will see she gets a proper burial once the insurance is done with it.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:56 AM

Well. The jeep is officially totaled. 90 hours of work and $1200 in parts down the toilet. I had her running beautifully. If anyone needs parts (such as a kick*ss rebuilt motor) let me know. I ll probly get her back from the insurance company. Lots of other new parts too.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That really sucks! So sorry dude......

More importantly...
Are YOU okay?
Old 10-05-2015, 08:20 AM

I got a concussion and whiplash, but outside of that Im good. Im trying to get through engineering school so this definitely does not help.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

WOW...
Hope you are getting better.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:45 AM

Good news guys!!! I found another jeep. It needs a new oil pan, tires, etc. but I am going to buy my jeep back off the insurance company so I can build this new jeep with all of the new parts I put onto it. It is a 98 cherokee limited. It also has the select trac 4wd so that is better than my command trac. Really nice leather interior with an new alpine sound system too. Pics and new part pictures coming soon. I may call this one "Project Rusturrection".
The following users liked this post:
$pookycow (02-29-2020)